80/20 pg vg ratio vs 50-50

It seems most places have 50-50 as their "standard" mix. What difference will I see from a 80/20 over the 50/50? I am noticing I do not get much of a throat hit with the 50-50 mixes, will 80/20 have a better hit?

Agreed. PG is known for providing more flavor than VG, and also more throat hit, but lack of visible vapor production. VG is known for its vapor production, but with hits on flavor strength and throat hit. In my opinion, it only takes a little VG in the mix to produce plenty of visible vapor, so I usually go with an 80PG/20VG mix.

With that being said, there are some 100% PG juices out there that taste great, have good throat hit, and produce loads of thick vapor...go figure. :question:

Yea I am a bit disappointed in all the 50-50 liquids I have ordered to date. There is no throat hit at all in anything but the one classic tobacco flavor I have. Looking forward to getting the Dekang 80-20 and if I like that it will be my regular.

Would it be a good idea to order some unflavored 100% PG in 24mg to mix with my current flavors to improve the throat hit? Only a 3 weeks off analogs and its the biggest thing missing for me.

• 4 weeks later...

The TH depends a lot upon the flavor and volt/watt setting you're using as well. Flavor depends also on how much flavor is actually in your juice. I can't vape any PG above a 50/50 ratio (slightly PG sensitive... more than that and I start getting headaches, sore throat, fever, etc.). But I've found if I add an extra flavor shot to my orders I get just as much if not more flavor than a 70/30 or higher ratio... and also that I can increase the TH by using a slightly higher volt/watt setting than "normal" for my device's sweet spot. I've also noticed some flavors give more TH... for example, sour flavors... I always have to turn my volt/watt setting down on those because at normal settings they just about choke me with the TH.

• 2 years later...

Hey first timer on this site was reading over this post not sure if anyone has mentioned it or not, but which one lasts longer i used to have a Delta II with Xpro M45 battery, basically used 70/30, but the supplier i used to get my vap from moved away so now im going to stored to get the eliquid. I currently am using a Arctic Tank which is .2 ohm coils which i use the Xpro m80 now cause i have to go to 60 watts compared to 35 watts i used with my Delta II but im noticing that th Arctic eats up the juice and was wondering if the 50/50 would last longer for this tank or the 80/20? Thanks 

Hey first timer on this site was reading over this post not sure if anyone has mentioned it or not, but which one lasts longer i used to have a Delta II with Xpro M45 battery, basically used 70/30, but the supplier i used to get my vap from moved away so now im going to stored to get the eliquid. I currently am using a Arctic Tank which is .2 ohm coils which i use the Xpro m80 now cause i have to go to 60 watts compared to 35 watts i used with my Delta II but im noticing that th Arctic eats up the juice and was wondering if the 50/50 would last longer for this tank or the 80/20? Thanks 

50/50 probably would not help your juice consumption.  I personally use it because of the added throat hit, and flavor that the PG carries.  Subohming at 60 watts just uses a lot of juice.  As you increase your power, and airflow you increase the amount of juice you use.

50/50 probably would not help your juice consumption.  I personally use it because of the added throat hit, and flavor that the PG carries.  Subohming at 60 watts just uses a lot of juice.  As you increase your power, and airflow you increase the amount of juice you use.

good to know yeah figured the more wattage the higgher consumption but trying to use the atlantic .2 ohm at 35 watts like i did with my delta II at .5 ohm i cant feel the vap at all, so had to up the watts just to get same feel i did with my delta. the arctic does flow nicer and tastes better then the delta though. Thanks for the info Jason

Yea I am a bit disappointed in all the 50-50 liquids I have ordered to date. There is no throat hit at all in anything but the one classic tobacco flavor I have. Looking forward to getting the Dekang 80-20 and if I like that it will be my regular.

Would it be a good idea to order some unflavored 100% PG in 24mg to mix with my current flavors to improve the throat hit? Only a 3 weeks off analogs and its the biggest thing missing for me.

Wow this is a blast from the past lol. Amazing now I loathe PG and use "no PG added" liquids. Want no throat hit now.

Wow this is a blast from the past lol. Amazing now I loathe PG and use "no PG added" liquids. Want no throat hit now.

I am weird.  I was getting into the 70vg/30pg and 80vg/30pg and lower nicotine levels.  I wasn't seeming to be as satisfied.  Instead of upping my nicotine, I went back to 50/50.  It has also been a good bandaid for my poor wicking techniques on my RTAs.

I think the 50 / 50 thing is more a matter of safety... little is known about the long term effects of inhaling PG, so most companies are going for the " safe " approach..

HUH??

PG is the primary component of asthma inhalers, and has been for decades.  Granted, an asthma inhaler is atomizing the PG, not vaporizing it, but there is no difference in the "breathing machines" used in hospitals than your basic APV... both vaporize the PG.  A lot of fear-mongering goes on about vaping PG or VG... I even read a report recently talking about the harmful effects of vaporizing the water in e-liquids... Yeah, right... it's called STEAM, and is perfectly safe... unless you inhale gallons of it and DROWN!

Many companies offer 50/50 juices because that is what the customers prefer... it is the best mix of flavor, TH, and vapor... it has nothing to do with "safety"!!

HUH??

PG is the primary component of asthma inhalers, and has been for decades.  Granted, an asthma inhaler is atomizing the PG, not vaporizing it, but there is no difference in the "breathing machines" used in hospitals than your basic APV... both vaporize the PG.  A lot of fear-mongering goes on about vaping PG or VG... I even read a report recently talking about the harmful effects of vaporizing the water in e-liquids... Yeah, right... it's called STEAM, and is perfectly safe... unless you inhale gallons of it and DROWN!

Many companies offer 50/50 juices because that is what the customers prefer... it is the best mix of flavor, TH, and vapor... it has nothing to do with "safety"!!

I didn't say that I believe that myself...I just saying what my local vaping shop talk me, that they only selling 50 / 50 e-liquids for the reason I just said, some big companies are also changing to 50 / 50, regardless of how safe PG is. Just remember all the lawsuits to tobacco companies when people started to die from smoking..they just covering themselves.

I didn't say that I believe that myself...I just saying what my local vaping shop talk me, that they only selling 50 / 50 e-liquids for the reason I just said, some big companies are also changing to 50 / 50, regardless of how safe PG is. Just remember all the lawsuits to tobacco companies when people started to die from smoking..they just covering themselves.

This is ridiculous. Think this through logically. We dont know the long term effects of vaping PG OR VG. Who is to say vaping a 50/50 blend is any safer than an 80/20 blend? The fact is we dont know anything. It sounds like your local vape shop employees are completely bullshitting you or aren't very smart lol.

This is ridiculous. Think this through logically. We dont know the long term effects of vaping PG OR VG. Who is to say vaping a 50/50 blend is any safer than an 80/20 blend? The fact is we dont know anything. It sounds like your local vape shop employees are completely bull****ting you or aren't very smart lol.

what can I say..the EU is the centre of heath and safety paranoia..specially the UK.

That's one reason some people don't want to start a business now, too many people are suing because they did something stupid and are looking to blame someone else. Product liability insurance is very high.

I'd like to have some names of these so-called "big companies" that are changing to 50/50. All the "big companies" that I deal with allow the customer to order the blend they want.

I have yet to walk into a convenience or a gas station that sells ejuice, and have the PG/VG ratio on the label. That is why I don't buy juice there, and tell other people not to. 

I'd like to have some names of these so-called "big companies" that are changing to 50/50. All the "big companies" that I deal with allow the customer to order the blend they want.

That's changing too...I guessing all the CE regulations aren't filtering in to the US yet..consider yourself lucky.

That's changing too...I guessing all the CE regulations aren't filtering in to the US yet..consider yourself lucky.

And you're dodging the question.

Name some of these "big" companies you're talking about so I can do my own conclusive research on your claim that some big companies are changing their blends to 50/50. If you can't name these companies or don't have anything to back up your claims, I'll be left to believe you're just spouting off bad and inaccurate information. Again.