Vaper's tongue

spydre

Okay, at first, I didn't think this was vapor's tongue because I could still taste SOME of the flavors while I was vaping, and some just weren't sitting right with me. It doesn't help that this really started right around the time I started using the Zmax, and I thought maybe I didn't have the settings dialed in right to get the max flavor out of the particular juice.

But I probably have vaper's tongue. I can still taste SOME aspects of my juices - but like say if I switch between my fr. vanilla tobacco, and my milk chocolate, some part of my mouth isn't registering any difference - and I used to NEVER be able to switch between the two of them because the french vanilla is so rich, while the milk chocolate is so sweet. But the Vape Dudes sample of chocolate banana I had, and then a sample of banana cream I had yesterday TOTALLY hit the spot, I could taste just about everything.

My Irish Cream came in yesterday, and I went ahead an did an evod of it unsteeped - of course, I can't taste it the way it's supposed to taste, but my tongue seems to have a history of interpreting cream as coconut lately, and that's what I was tasting, lol. But it was "unoffensive" to my pallete.

I was working with my french vanilla tobacco this morning (I got the tobacco version originally because the day I picked it out, they didn't have a sample of rich french vanilla out, and I didn't know they carried it, and I couldn't taste the tobacco). What I tasted, mostly, with a bit of undefined flavor, was....tobacco. So I added (again, unsteeped) a tiny bit from the sampler alt cigs sent me of Vanilla Love, so it beat back the tobacco flavor a bit, but what I'm tasting is still just sort of undefined sweet. So just now I tried my 618 and my Honey Wood (also a tobacco flavor) which are my other go to's when I'm not having problems with tobacco flavors (sometimes I just get the taste of ashes in my mouth when I've vaped too much tobacco flavor). 618, even with the extra flavor shot, was just bleh for me, but the tobacco didn't stick out as bad, probably because of the extra flavor, even though I couldn't taste it, but I never really did taste the tobacco on 618 UNLESS I was having one of those tobacco tastes like an ashtray periods. Honey Wood, ALL I tasted was tobacco this morning, and I've NEVER tasted tobacco with it, unless I mix in my Turkish honey.

Although today, the Irish Cream to me does taste more like Bailey's and not as much like Coconut. So I will probably switch out the evod to the chi-town irish cream (which to me tastes like coconut) and vape on that a while.

Anyway, my basic question is - does even this sort of select taste dimming sound like vaper's tongue, and what can I do to combat it? I drink plenty of water, along with other non caffinated beverages (well, usually non-caffeinated, I like the occasional mountain dew as well as my caffeine free diet pepsi; but oddly enough, for the first time EVER, I found myself preferring straight coke vs. pepsi - and I'm not a coke girl, but maybe because the vaper's tongue was already hitting, I couldn't taste the lemony aftertaste I could taste all my life.) The thing with water is, though, as long as I spread it out throughout the 12 - 16 hours I'm up, I'm okay. But if I drink a lot quickly, it makes me ill. Learned that the hard way - had an abscessed tooth, and drinking water helped it, so I was drinking bottle after bottle of water....and it didn't end well.

ALSO to take into consideration, I have some sinus SOMETHING going on. I still seem to be able to taste food okay - but I thought I could taste food okay over 20+ years of smoking as well. But this possible vaper's tongue issue goes back before my sinuses started bothering me the last few days (you just start to get used to being able to have your FULL sense of smell back, and then sinus issues hit you, and you can't smell half of what you could smell before).

Anyway, thanks for reading the loooong post, and TIA.

At 41 days your tastebuds are still healing, your taste will change. I wouldn't micromanage your vaping experience quite as much as you do, just my opinion and advice.

Micromanaging, lol, never thought of it that way. When I get, let's say, hooked into something.....I tend to get obsessive about it. Phone games, MMO's, geeze, fish for a while. But seriously, even if it's only partial taste loss, is it still vape tongue? I vaped some more neutral stuff earlier, very palette neutral - and now I'm doing okay on my 618 (which, to be honest, I haven't vaped a great deal of, maybe 1/2 a tank in at least five days), but it STILL tastes better coming out of hubby's carto tank, lol. But, I don't think I'm micromanaging - I'm getting my stuff set up, and want to find enough flavors that when nothing really floats my boat, there is something there that will.

I think i have always had vapers tongue i guess...I know i can taste well my vape when i first awaken..by about 10am it's so/so and midafternoon it's all pretty much tasteless to me. Great thing about it is the next day when i wake up to start over everything tastes different LOL. I had never heard of vapers tongue and just figured i was saturating my taste buds.

I have continously clogged sinus passages and am a mouth breather so that may have something to do with it. No matter what combination of allergy pills my doctors give me i've never been more than a few hours in my life with clear sinus'. after 40 years i've given up on that and that probably GREATLY affects my ability to taste the vapes!

Even with my cpap machine i uses the aroma fragrances that are supposed to help clear my sinus' and they do little to nothing. work for about 1 minute of great breathing then they are inflammed again. I am sure sinus sprays would help me but that's a boat i don't want to climb in to. My personality is too addictive and i know i'd be using em forever.

I still get vaper's tongue after all this time. Sometimes my favorite juices have absolutely zero taste. The only liquids I can taste then are Pluid and EC Blends Nuclear Cinnamon Fireball, both of which taste very strong, even with vaper's tongue.

to me this happens a lot more when Im off work and have time to kill chain vapping . On the days I work , it doesnt happen .

maybe too much vaping ?

is like saying too much of a good thing!

I get what your saying and that is most likely the cause. When i am working also because i have to sneak off to vape almost every hit is a good one :)

First off, Brian, are saying "micromanaging" because of color system to identify what's in what? I just want to be clear. There's a reason behind the color coding system. Since they are all the same product, and some juices are similar in color, I have to have SOME way to tell what's in what - and even in the juices that aren't similar in color, I may look at it and think, "what is that?" The cause lies in two of the chronic conditions I have that affect the way I think....and since I'm disabled, and essentially don't have the prospects of going back to work, rather than occupational therapy to try to help me get better with this, I get the advice "set up a system for things" and "keep a lot of notes". Well, the color coding is my system for telling which juice is in what (I currently have - counting a couple samples - a couple more flavors than are tanked). If I get the KPT2 minis I want for Christmas to replace the evods, rather than getting different colored glass - which I don't know if it will be available anyway - I'll just get different colored anodized drip tips from Empire mods. As for notes, well, let's see, I currently have three different "notes" documents up on my PC (including the tank log, which I also log the coil changes), and um, seven notes in my notes app on my smart phone, which will grow as there is one son's Christmas list that I won't be able to get until probably the end of November, lol. That includes a to-do list, a list of topics I want to discuss at my next primary doc's appointment and MS neuro appointment....oh, that reminds me, I need to add something to my to do list, a list of things that I've been compiling since hubby's birthday of things he's mentioned he's wanted so I can get it for Christmas, my other son's Christmas list, which as a broke college freshman includes only three things, but I'm going to try to get him to put some books on there - so you can imagine the FIRST thing on his Christmas list; um, oh, and my Christmas list. The grocery list is on my phone so I can put things on there that I discover we are out of, since I never remember in time. I've tried so many calendaring systems over the past 19 years it isn't even funny, but it became more of a problem since I got sick. The appointment immediately goes into my google calendar (I make a practice of sitting in front of the calendar when I schedule the appointment), I text my husband about it before I hit save on the appointment, and he is listed as a participant. If the boys are involved, like a doctor's appointment, family get together, they are listed as participants, as well, so that it goes on THEIR calendars (because if I verbally tell them, 3 hours later they won't remember me telling them squat).

I get vaper's tongue and I only do 1 - 2 ml /day.

Spydre, how much do you vape per day?

Um, it depends, and it's hard to tell. I never completely empty a tank, and sometimes I don't get my glass tanks all the way full (more of a problem on the Davide than on the pro tanks, because you have to tilt it so much to get the drop to go in that stupid hole). When these problems were at their worst, I would do maybe 1 - 3 ml a day, if that much, because everything was so harsh. But I've learned to start the day with some more neutral, and work into other flavors. But like, yesterday - I spent about two hours in the car. If I was with my husband, I would have been vaping heavily - a holdover from frequent smoking in the car. But I was a) with my father in law in HIS car, which he shares with his very asthmatic wife; and for about 45 minutes of that, we were taking my son back to college. My father in law allows to OCCASIONALLY vape in the car, unless he smells something that would affect my mother in law adversely (her asthma is bad enough she got her disability pension from it), but I didn't do it in front of my son, because my son would tell my husband, and I don't think my husband would approve, even though I asked my father in law. So the rest of the time in the car, I would only take a couple hits here or there (although he likes the way the chocolate banana smells). But prior in the day, before I could start vaping the chocolate banana, the only thing I could handle was 618, and that was "meh" and bordered on harsh at times, so I vaped very little until actually around 7 pm.

But I think the MOST I've vaped in one day was between 8 and 10 on a very stressful day (August 13, when my mom was first admitted - the first time - for the artery blockage in her leg and we thought she was going to lose her leg). But I was vaping enough that ego stick batteries (900 mah) would last me about......well, I can't quite remember, but by the time I got the Zmax the stick batteries were lasting about 6 hours, so I had three in rotation. The 18650's have been lasting just around 24 hours, maybe less, but I think I normally vape around 6 a day? Remember, I don't have a job, and I don't usually go anywhere. The more I sleep during the day (usually due to anxiety meds combined with pain meds and muscle relaxers) the less I vape as well. I've been sleeping a lot lately as well.

is like saying too much of a good thing!

I get what your saying and that is most likely the cause. When i am working also because i have to sneak off to vape almost every hit is a good one :)

I can't taste my juices right know either, but I'm starting to get a cold though too I think. Or it could just be the flavor I'm using, it's a 50/50 mix and for some reason I'm also not getting the throat hit that I should be getting.

I do have some sinus issues going on (hay fever, seems to be, unless my husband gave my immuno-supressed self what he has and it's incubating), but I don't think that's responsible for all of this. I can still taste MOST of my food, and I can taste SOME of my juices. Truthfully, right now, for some reason, the only reason I can tell the difference between my milk chocolate and french vanilla tobacco is because since they lowered the nic on the fr vanilla tobacco, ALL I taste is tobacco, with a hint of fr vanilla (but more on that question in another post), and the milk chocolate (not from better vapes) is just a vape with a hint of sweetness to me right now, or maybe a hint of chocolate - unless I try the fr vanilla tobacco first, and then I even taste tobacco in the milk chocolate, and I can't vape any tobacco flavors for a while after that. Sometimes I can "work up" to 618 - it helps if I have a hit off hubby's 618 carto tank first, because his tastes better for some reason, from his carto tank. I haven't really successfully vaped honey wood in almost a week. But I can taste my Irish Cream fine, for a while - it started to lose flavor at some point and I switched over, and I can taste my chocolate banana fine, and sometimes I can taste others okay, too, but not always. The 618, the no bake cake, and the mint chip ice cream (although somehow my mouth is interpreting the "chocolate" on the exhale as more of a "bubble gum" on the exhale, lol, it's still good).

Edited by spydre

Sorry about the wall of text. I start talking and don't stop, and I wanted to respond to a couple different posts. But basically, it was to respond to the question asking how much I vape per day (and I get PLEN of fluids during the day, since I'm on meds that cause dry mouth) AND to say it seems to be improving slightly. But I AM going to be posting another question on something in a different thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I think i have always had vapers tongue i guess...I know i can taste well my vape when i first awaken..by about 10am it's so/so and midafternoon it's all pretty much tasteless to me. Great thing about it is the next day when i wake up to start over everything tastes different LOL. I had never heard of vapers tongue and just figured i was saturating my taste buds.

I have continously clogged sinus passages and am a mouth breather so that may have something to do with it. No matter what combination of allergy pills my doctors give me i've never been more than a few hours in my life with clear sinus'. after 40 years i've given up on that and that probably GREATLY affects my ability to taste the vapes!

Even with my cpap machine i uses the aroma fragrances that are supposed to help clear my sinus' and they do little to nothing. work for about 1 minute of great breathing then they are inflammed again. I am sure sinus sprays would help me but that's a boat i don't want to climb in to. My personality is too addictive and i know i'd be using em forever.

Sorry, sub, just reading over this thread again for reference for time-wise when it started when I read your reply more in depth. Has your doctor tried prescribing you prescription nose spray, like Flonase? And have you tried using a neti pot to clean out your sinuses? If you try that, make sure you use distilled water, and not tap water.

Man that is so true every post I read is insanely long with that poster

who, with me? Not always so. But I do talk alot, and my brain wanders. Hazard of mine, and not talking to many people throughout the day, I think.