DIYers - Flavor choices and Preferences

Bebop

Thought I'd start a new thread on this because I'm looking for specific info from you flavor wizards.

im not looking for WHAT flavors you prefer, but what flavor SUPPLIERS you prefer. And I don't mean secondary suppliers but actual manufacturers of the flavoring.

I think the main players are Capella, The Flavor Apprentice, Flavor West, and LorAnns.  There may be some others.

There seems to be quite a jump in price in Capella over the others.  Is this a case of "you get what you pay for" or are they over priced?

What manufacturers do you prefer and why?  Please give details

What have you noticed about the different manufacturers as to their quality, or consistency? 

If you have preferences like "company A has the best banana"  or "company A has the better flavor but you need more of it"  or "company A tends to be more sweet" etc, I would like to know those details. 

Are there any manufacturers that you just don't like?  Why?

Do you find that even though you have picked a flavor that should be "sweet" or is thought of as "sweet" that you have to add additional notes of basic flavors to achieve the flavor you are going for.  For example, do you tend to stock a " sweetener" flavor or a "bakery/bread flavor" or a butter/cream" flavor separate from you other flavors to enhance them.?  What are you "staples" - flavors added to other flavors to enhance or improve them?

Geez, I know am asking a lot. Lol,   Please contribute to the best of your ability.  I realize this is probably just as subjective as flavors themselves.  So feel free to just voice your findings even if you feel they may conflict with what other DIYers have said.  This is an open discussion designed to be full of opinion. So let it fly!  Also,  feel free to add any points I may not have covered or asked for. 

Thanks!!!

2/3 of my flavors are FW, about 1/3 are TFA, I have not tried Capella because the price is double that of other flavors, don't know if it is better or not.

I pay close attention to the ingredients in the flavor, sometimes one manufacturer has a ingredient I don't want and another manufacturer has the same flavor without the ingredient I don't want. Also there is the coil killing to look at, most chocolate flavors are dark and are coil killers, the double chocolate clear by TFA is not a coil killer.

One of the flavors I like is coffee, but so far have not found one that is not a coil killer, if someone knows of one please let me know.

I've tried all of them, and Capella's flavors are really good, rich, deep, saturated natural-tasting flavors... but the dark ones are coil killers, and to me, they're not worth the extra expense because I can use a tiny bit more TFA flavorings and achieve the same deep/rich flavor... along with a little steeping.  That being said, I have found TFA makes flavors I like at a price I like even better.  TFA flavors are natural tasting, although some are a little weak, causing you to use a little more (like 1-3% more than Capella), and after you mix a juice, a little steeping really brings out the flavor.  Loranns, to me, is too artificial in their flavorings... at least the ones I've tried... like their raspberry tastes like cheap candy, not real raspberries.  FA flavors are good, and I think they are on par with TFA.  Some of their flavors are as good as Capella, like Bavarian Cream and French Vanilla, but not quite as rich... if that makes sense?

I have tried a couple of Capella's flavors and they're really pretty good but I've been getting my flavors from Wizard Labs and I have been mixing and matching. Since I'm still rather new to mixing (just since last June) I'm finding there's a learning curve. The few Lorann's I've tried are not very good and they've been kicked back into the Kitchen for assorted projects like candy for the local FD and PD to hand out to kids when they respond to a call. I find that I prefer TFA dark chocolate to any of the others but I really like FA cream. I'm looking for a cinnamon that's not mixed like a bakery roll or snickerdoodle If anyone has an idea I'd be grateful for the suggestion. However, I've also been cheating somewhat because my local vape shop has flavor concentrates of my ADV's and it's easy to grab 250ml of that and use it with my own nic and VG and make big batches and since we're getting ready to move soon (if I can find a place) I've only been vaping it and one other juice since I packed up all my mixing stuff except 2 syringes to measure with.

*** Sorry if I'm rambling these painkillers are knocking me thru a loop***:blink:

Edited by Edna

2 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Have you been vaping painkillers? Been powdering them up and adding them to your juice?

LOL....No just popping them every 3-4 hours... surgery is no fun.

@FXRich  Thank you !

Is it more like a cinnamon stick than a candy? I'm wanting it to make a cinnamon mint type juice that's not too candy flavored but more like a winter time tea or toddy minus the booze flavor but still a little sweet and creamy.

Do you have a recipe that resembles that maybe?

Edited by Edna

@Edna TFA makes several cinnamon flavors... the Cinnamon ACL is like red-hots if you mix it more than 5% and is alcohol based.  It mixes well, and is really good.  Their Cinnamon  Concentrate is more the flavor you'd find in a bakery flavor.  Their Cinnamon PG is like the Red Hot ACL, but based 100% in PG (no alcohol)... and doesn't mix with some flavors, as well as the alcohol version... but is more candy flavor unless you are only adding 1-2%,.. then it is a "hint" or background flavor.

Another trick to Cinnamon I use is to add a touch of Raspberry to it... I'm not sure why, but it really brings out the Cinnamon flavor without feeling so "candy"

I use primarily Flavor West and Capella because both companies are local to me and I can get them direct.  (Flavor West is more local than Capella, but Capella isn't far from where I work.)  The Capella fruit flavors I have used are really good.

Is there any validity to the idea of mixing your flavors,  then doing your aging or steeping process and then adding nicotine last and doing a final mix?

I'm just wondering if you can do your "steeping"/aging process in an accelerated process, leaving the nic out so it won't degrade, and then mixing your nic in last.  

I don't steep.  I make my flavor base 120 ml at a time.  I then mix up 100 ml of finished juice.  I guess it does steep, or at least age, because it is normally a week, or longer before I vape the 2 50 ml bottles that i mixed up and 120 ml of the concentrate lasts quite a while.  I normally have 2 50 ml bottles.  I keep 1 in the console of the pickup, along with 4 fresh batteries, and an extra NEBOX, and a couple of rebuilt RDAs.  I keep the same thing in my laptop bag.  I have been on the road 4 days and 3 nights with this new territory.  I take double backups just in case my pickup, or laptop bag and I get separated.  Of course if something happens to my truck and the laptop bag is in it I'm screwed.

Well.  Im not planning on starting my venture into mixing my own flavors until this weekend.

But, I couldnt resist.  I dipped in wrecklessly and 6 drops of the essence of terror and 5 drops of sinister sauce later, I had mixed 10 mils of a capella vanilla custard at 3mg and a 75vg/25pg

...it's fantastic!   And so easy...  Why did I wait so long????  I have no idea.  I can't wait to break into the other flavors.  

When the stirring's done can I lick the spoon?  Of course, ha ha, of course!!:lol:

3 minutes ago, Bebop said:

Well.  Im not planning on starting my venture into mixing my own flavors until this weekend.

But, I couldnt resist.  I dipped in wrecklessly and 6 drops of the essence of terror and 5 drops of sinister sauce later, I had mixed 10 mils of a capella vanilla custard at 3mg and a 75vg/25pg

...it's fantastic!   And so easy...  Why did I wait so long????  I have no idea.  I can't wait to break into the other flavors.  

When the stirring's done can I lick the spoon?  Of course, ha ha, of course!!:lol:

Essence of terror and sinister sauce are flavors??

7 minutes ago, Bebop said:

Didn't you watch cartoons as a kid cany? :lol:

Bonus points for first one to name the cartoon!

I'm sitting this hand out.  Last cartoons were Tom Terrific and the Road Runner, lol.  Loved Master Cylinder!