Chantix Vs. E Cig!

owutaqt

This was an enjoyable read.

I set my friend Mike up with an e-cig and some liquid. He wanted to quit. I didn't hear much feedback from him at all. I asked about it once on his facebook page, and told him I was happy to help if he had any questions and he didn't respond, so I left it alone. (don't wanna nag the guy!)

Then a bit later he posted that he was using Chantix. My mouth dropped open because this particular friend regularly posts for the world to see about his depression and personal problems and visits to the psychologist. Not downing him for those problems, happens to the best of us, but CHANTIX, really??? I wonder if he quit, either with Chantix or the e-cig but I am hesitant to ask because I figure if he did he would've mentioned it. Don't wanna call attention to someone's falling off the bandwagon, ya know. Sensitive issues.

Some people can have serious skin reactions while taking CHANTIX, some of which can become life-threatening. These can include rash, swelling, redness, and peeling of the skin. Some people can have allergic reactions to CHANTIX, some of which can be life-threatening and include: swelling of the face, mouth, and throat that can cause trouble breathing.

Awesome job FDA, Awesome job....

• 1 month later...

From my own experience: I tried Chantix twice; the first time I was going through divorce so I was already depressed. The Chantix enhanced my depression ten fold! I tried Chantix again recently and suffered terrible mood swings. I am a very mellow, easy going guy and these pills made me snap at the drop of a hat. My GF and son both noticed radical changes. I had given up all hope until I discovered the e-cig. I'm now vaping with the Silver Bullet mod and I don't even really want to smoke. Once every so often, I think I want an analog and have one, but it's always less than fulfilling. I prefer the vapor. Also in NY, ten-dollars-a-pack is quite a deterrent! For the first 2 weeks I was burning up atomizers with this mod, at 3.7 volts! I had to learn to take long, slow draws and let the atty cool down between puffs. I tried all of the cessation products, but nothing worked for me like the vaporizers. I feel so much better and although have spent a fair amount to get started with vaping, it's been nothing like what I've spent on tobacco. Be careful with the Chantix; the list of potential side effects is disturbing!

I know this is an older post, and I don't know how I missed it the first time. But great job QT. Brings up a lot of questions about the success of our FDA and what they consider safe for us to use.

Also, if there was any question as to which side the FDA was on this should solve that. The money for research is obviously coming from the big Pharma and cigarette companies which just help to feed the problems of the e-cig being looked into as a serious alternative to smoking. I can't and wont say they are 100% safe but when you consider the factors of products like Chantix and all it's side effects I'd rather take my chances with an e-cig. At least I know my skin wont fall off or I wont kill myself.

Our neurologists WILL NOT prescribe Chantix. They actively discourage it's use. One of then who's wife smokes says he would rather have her smoke than to use this stuff, and he's the first one to try new stuff. From personal experience I can tell you it's bad news and I didn't have the really bad side effects.

• 2 months later...

I couldn't pass this thread without adding my two cents on the matter.

I took chantix two years ago for about four months.

The firt side effect I had were horrible violent dreams. I dreamt of bludgening my mother to death. Hit after hit with a brick. It was revolting and so horrible I would cry all day long from the intense violent dreams. (yes, I really do dislike the woman) but the dreams were so horrible and frightening. Till this day I can't forget the visions. In my heart I committed murder in the worst way.

The second side effect... I became obsessed with suicide. I fantasize about killing myself in hundreds of different ways. THAT IS NOT WHO I AM. I don't believe in it, and thankfully I never did try.

Third I became paranoid. I was sure my husband was out to get me/cheat on me/talking about me... you fill in the blank. (he probably was out to get me committed) :innocent:

Fourth I gained About 35 pounds.

OH, but I did quit smoking. It worked like a charm. I was off cigarettes for months. Worth it right?

I hope Dr's stop trying to push this crap on people. Talk about dangerous and life threatening. I think cigarettes are healthier than chantix.

Well thankfully I'm much better now. :rolleyes: I swear :wallbash: I'm normal I'm normal I'm normal

Wow Beans, sorry that Chantix had that effect on you. My wife and I both used it last year. I didn't affect me at all, but my wife had a very similar reaction that you experienced. Extremely depressed, bizarre dreams, very untrusting of me, suicidal thoughts, etc. It was a complete disaster. Luckily we have a strong marriage or I don't see how we could have ever made it. But, like you, we quit for about a month. We both just decided we'd rather smoke than live like that.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

From here I get a chantix coupon then I start chantix.

I started taking Chantix on January 16th, 2014. First off, I did not pick a quit date; I let it pick me. I smoked since I was in middle school faithfully, and I will be 48 this year. I started with the 0.5 mg a day for 7 days and honestly, the cigarettes started tasting like metal on the 3rd day. This evening, I will be finishing up my 5th week on Chantix and I feel good. I would smoke maybe 1 cigarette a day during the first week and then, I had no desire to spend anymore money on a pack of smokes that now cost over $7.00. I must admit that I did put on about 15 lbs within the month because I needed something to do with my hands because I was so used to having a cigarette in my hand. This Chantix works for me.

Edited by BirdDog
removed link

You couldn't pay enough to take this drug and no coupon will sway me to even trying it. I did the Zyban years ago and it made me ill. I have heard enough from friends that have taken this drug to know I don't want it in my body. I expect to see class action law suits over this drug in coming years.

• 1 month later...

I quit smoking two weeks ago on chantix. I have had no side effects from it. But I do not take it twice a day like they say I only take it in the morning. I also started vaping to help with the wanting to puff on something. I vape 0mg so no nicotine for me. I am thinking about going off the chantix but am waiting till I go back to the drs to get his ok. He was hesitant for me to go on it and wanted me to just quit cold turkey but I don't think I could of done it.

You def want to get off this drug. But make sure you see doc about it so you can get off safely. There will be lawsuits on this drug.

Having tried in vain to quit smoking with patches and gum, I really can't imagine how any product that doesn't mimic the act of smoking could be very successful.

Chantix can really cause some very bad chemistry and neurological issues, before you realize they're happening.

Consult your Dr before stopping cold turkey though.

Patches & gum aren't much better, common side effect of patches are heart attacks I know that from experience.

If your doing the chantix w success, fantastic on the no smoking part of the process, but maybe even a little nic in your juice might be better then dealing w side effects later of the prescription chantix, IMO.

The ecigs did the trick for me.

I tried all the above and like you still needed the cessation of vaping.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

I took chantix to quit smoking. It definately makes you not enjoy smoking (and I did quit), but I also had some mild side effects. It made me very nauseous. I also had very vivid dreams, but they weren't nightmares so I actually kind of enjoyed them. Chantix is definately not for everyone, but I wouldn't say it's as bad as a drug as y'all are making it out to be. The nausea made me quit taking it after about 3 weeks. I then found myself craving a cigarette after meals. I saw a guy vaping and had earlier that day noticed an e-cig store (I was out of town). I went and got one and am really enjoying it. My fiancé was with me and commented that she was glad I got one. Apparently I have been moody. I didn't really notice it at the time, but looking back on it I do remember getting angry at work much more often than normal.

My wife was prescribed chantix a few years ago. She tried killing me with a butcher knife. Luckily I'm stronger and talked her into flushing chantix down the toilet. It was hard for me to sleep back then. Always looked over my shoulder to make sure she wasn't flipping out because of chantix.