Stepping down in nic levels

It is time that I finally start to drop my nic levels. As of August 24 it will mark 6 years as a vaper. Holy Shit, 6 years of not smoking! I won't lie, I have had a few cigarettes and a couple cigars in those 6 years. The cigars were enjoyable, the cigarettes just reminded me how awful they were.

I started at 16/18 mg and it kind of stuck. My initial goal was to step down and finally give it all up. Well...6 years later and I am still vaping the same mg as when I started. I guess I hung with the higher level because I could go 8 hours or more without vaping. But when I got home, I vaped like a freight train. Recently, I have noticed some physical side effects of vaping the higher nic level, like tiredness and light headed. So I decided it was time to try stepping down. My plan is to take this slow and not put myself on a time schedule.

A few years ago, more like several, I got my cousin to make the switch. This was when cig a-likes were still the only option. She did it for awhile and went back to smoking and then just quit altogether. Long story short, her current boyfriend smoked, she complained, he got into vaping and she picked it up again. She is visiting and ran out of eliquid. I wanted to visit some of the local shops and see what they had. She has a sub-ohm tank, I think the nautilus. That sucker is so noisy! I wanted to chuck it out the window! :lol: But I appreciated the cloud.

Anyways, we visited a shop and I picked out some liquid from their house lines. I made a split second decision to pick up a lower nic level, 12 mg. Baby steps. I have been incorporating it into my daily vape rotation. So far so good! I am actually vaping it more, but I think it might have to do with the flavor. The liquid I chose is USA made but not in house. Probably something re-branded. But I thanked them for not mixing in the store and the sales guy had a big smile. So (Rixter), I think he appreciated the comment.

Happy, soon to be, Vapeversary to me and FINALLY taking the plunge to stepping down! I really hope I can do this!

You can do it, BD! When I started stepping down, I'd only use the lower nic when I was at home chain vaping. Then, it started creeping into other times. The change was almost a non-issue. I still keep higher mg of nic in case I can't vape as often (mostly at work), but my regular is now a 3 mg.

Good luck! Keep us updated on how you're doing.  :)

You can do anything you want! I am not at the point where I want to step down but wish you the best of luck. I noticed about a 30% increase in the liquid I use when I stepped down from 24mg to 18mg about a year ago and the same held true for my wife when she made the change from 24 to 18 about 3 months ago I just ordered her third batch of 500ml in 18mg and that lasts about a month and a half as compared to just over 2 months in 24mg.

My main question in dropping down is if we drop down 25% in nicotine level BUT vape 30% more....are we really dropping down? I'm not too worried about it personally my main reason to switch to 18 was the taste is SO MUCH better than 24 or I would still most likely be vaping 24. It took me forever to get my wife to understand it and now she loves the difference in taste of the 18mg she uses now.

My main question in dropping down is if we drop down 25% in nicotine level BUT vape 30% more....are we really dropping down? I'm not too worried about it personally my main reason to switch to 18 was the taste is SO MUCH better than 24 or I would still most likely be vaping 24. It took me forever to get my wife to understand it and now she loves the difference in taste of the 18mg she uses now.

In my experience, at first when I dropped down, I found I was vaping more. As time went on, it lessened and went back to how much I was vaping before stepping the nic down. Now, it's a little less than that without my having to make an effort to decrease the amount I vape. Everyone's experiences are unique, as you well know, but this is what's happened with me.  :)

In my experience, at first when I dropped down, I found I was vaping more. As time went on, it lessened and went back to how much I was vaping before stepping the nic down. Now, it's a little less than that without my having to make an effort to decrease the amount I vape. Everyone's experiences are unique, as you well know, but this is what's happened with me.  :)

Yea I have made like 0 effort lol. I applaud peoples efforts to set new milestones and stuff I just was wondering if that is most peoples experiences. When I vaped 24mg I could fill a 2.5ml Davide Mini and last the whole day at work. with 18mg I use a 3mg Davide and fill it before work and by 4-5pm I am low enough I want to fill again so I keep a bottle of liquid at work. I would say I went from an average of 2.5-3ml a day to 4.5-5ml from 24mg to 18mg and have held at that for well over a year. In fairness I vape anywhere I want throughout the day with very few situations where it is not acceptable to vape. My wife uses less because she is front and center in her company and has to be selective where I am in my office and can do basically whatever I want lol.

Its a legitimate question though. Even though I believe nicotine to be relatively harmless I cant help but wonder if 3ml of 24mg vs 5ml of 18mg, well how those two would compare with regards to nicotine absorption and consumption.

Edited by bcartervol98

I to started off at 24 & 18 mg. Since then I have cut down to 12mg during the day and 6mg at night so I dont have freaky nicotine induced dreams. I do find that I vape more since I cut down on the nic.

You can do it, BD! When I started stepping down, I'd only use the lower nic when I was at home chain vaping. Then, it started creeping into other times. The change was almost a non-issue. I still keep higher mg of nic in case I can't vape as often (mostly at work), but my regular is now a 3 mg.

Good luck! Keep us updated on how you're doing.  :)

Thanks Tam! I really don't have a plan or schedule to how this is going to work. I am just winging it right now. I am still vaping a mostly the 18 but when I start to feel a bit off, I switch it over to the 12. It seems to have helped with the physical effects I have been experiencing.

You can do anything you want! I am not at the point where I want to step down but wish you the best of luck. I noticed about a 30% increase in the liquid I use when I stepped down from 24mg to 18mg about a year ago and the same held true for my wife when she made the change from 24 to 18 about 3 months ago I just ordered her third batch of 500ml in 18mg and that lasts about a month and a half as compared to just over 2 months in 24mg.

Thanks B! You bring up some good points about the increase in vaping more. I will have to keep track of what happens once I am able to fully take on the lower level. Before we moved, I was working and not vaping as much during the day. It was easy to go 8 hours or so without a vape, but by the end of day, I was pretty ready to vape. I have noticed the flavor to be much better at the lower level.

I to started off at 24 & 18 mg. Since then I have cut down to 12mg during the day and 6mg at night so I dont have freaky nicotine induced dreams. I do find that I vape more since I cut down on the nic.

This may be reason why the number of Zombies have increased in my dreams. :lol:

I definitely increased my vaping when I dropped my nic levels. It was also more enjoyable because I liked the flavors better too so it was a bit of a double edged sword.  I have periods of the day where I cannot vape freely and it used to be tougher but I have since gotten so used to low nic levels that I don't stress out about it at all any more. In fact, it's now at the point where if I even vape a 12 I'm like, "blech!" - it tastes terrible to me. I keep a mini PT loaded with 6 and I can stealth vape a few hits of 6 and I'm good for a while.  For me right now, 6 is a nice compromise between flavor and nice when I want it. Other than that I'm happy with 3 all day even though I'm probably vaping a bit more than I would if I was using 6.

I may order a small sample of 12 and have my wife do what I did to her when she switched from 24 to 18. Fill 3 tanks, 2 with 12 and one with 18 but not tell me which is which or when she does it and see if I can tell a difference. She never fills tanks though so I may have to train her first haha. I am just curious. I could care less about the nicotine and feel no ill effects whatsoever and I go to bed with my IStick and 18mg and puff till I fall asleep, even take a drag or two if I wake up to pee, but I know less nicotine would be better thinking big picture. I just know myself and if I know it is 12mg I am going to find all sorts of differences whether real or fantasy lol.

I have cut back on my nic levels, but it has more to do with the equipment and low ohms that I vape more than what I'm taking in. The higher watts and lower ohms do a better job of delivering nicotine.

Glad to hear your cutting back BD, I wish you all the best luck in succeeding. :D

I am kind of with Comp on this.  I have gone from 24mg to 10mg, but I am using sub-ohm type equipment.  I do vape a bit more than I did too, due to how much more I am enjoying it.  I guess I have really cut back, because even though my nicotine level has been cut in half, I don't use twice the liquid.  If that makes any sense...

I have cut back on my nic levels, but it has more to do with the equipment and low ohms that I vape more than what I'm taking in. The higher watts and lower ohms do a better job of delivering nicotine.

Glad to hear your cutting back BD, I wish you all the best luck in succeeding. :D

I am kind of with Comp on this.  I have gone from 24mg to 10mg, but I am using sub-ohm type equipment.  I do vape a bit more than I did too, due to how much more I am enjoying it.  I guess I have really cut back, because even though my nicotine level has been cut in half, I don't use twice the liquid.  If that makes any sense...

I don't sub-ohm. Not grasping why it would do a better job at delivering nicotine and the reason for going low. Explain?

Edited by BirdDog

I don't sub-ohm. Not grasping why it would do a better job at delivering nicotine and the reason for going low. Explain?

There is a direct correlation between nicotine delivery in devices/wattage use. The study is a bit dated comparing EVODs vs cigalikes. I wish there is a new study . Looking at forum posts(here and other places) those coming from EVODs (or similar type), and say trying a subtank for the very first time, their primary complaint was it is very harsh and had to drop down their nic level. Not saying that a more efficient nic delivery systems is necessary any better. Some just do not like higher wattage setting regardless of nic level. So staying with an EVOD is just as good so long as they remain off analogs.

I now vape 1-3mg nic, and can remain without vaping for several hours and only vape when I am at home or work. This something I could not have done with my starter set-up of Evod/ego.

That study may be old, but gives a good view on why you need less nic with newer devices.

I started with Cig-a-likes that use a 3.5 ohm coil. Now I use between a 1.2, 0.8 and a 0.5 ohm coil (depending on the setup). The cig-a-likes did not have any wattage or voltage controls. They also did not produce the vapor you get in today's devices. Being able to lower the ohms and raise the wattage I'm able to get the vapor I like. Introducing more vapor into your lungs provides more nicotine and there for, I get more nicotine per draw.

It is like using a dual coil sub-ohm dripper, but with a tank.  The flavor, the amount of vapor, and the effects of the nicotine are magnified.  I can use 24 in my subohm tanks, but it would make me nic-sick pretty quick.  I was just using straight VG to cut my 24mg down, but I like the added flavor, so I just get comp to cut the amount of nicotine in my juice.

I really don't understand what mechanism causes it to have so much more of an effect, but it does.  More vapor possibly?  I am running at .22 ohms and 40 watts or so.  I have my temprature set at 425 degrees, the mod adjusts the wattage/voltage as needed so I have no idea how many watts/volts it is running at.  There is also airflow.  I poped a nautilus on my istick a while back and tried to vape it.  The image of golf balls and garden hoses came to mind.  The Nautilus (wide open) felt nearly as restriced as my current tank with the airflow nearly completely closed.

Okay I think I get it. When comparing it to the old cig a-likes it makes sense. I know those didn't produce squat. One of the reasons why we all started stacking batteries in the first tube mods. So an EVOD glass tank with a dual coil is considered a beginner device now? If this involves math, I am out. :lol: Thank you for your replies! I promise not to try sub-ohm.

Okay I think I get it. When comparing it to the old cig a-likes it makes sense. I know those didn't produce squat. One of the reasons why we all started stacking batteries in the first tube mods. So an EVOD glass tank with a dual coil is considered a beginner device now? If this involves math, I am out. :lol: Thank you for your replies! I promise not to try sub-ohm.

It does seem like an EVOD would be a beginner device now.  I went from a 1.5 ohm coil in the SubTank mini, to the .5 part time.  I really think the 1.5 was better.  Now that I am doing temp control everything is subohm.  It is just the nature of the wire we have to use to do the temp control coils.  I think one day these rigs will be the norm once they get all the kinks worked out.  The iStick 40 TC is close to a perfect beginner temp control setup.  No watts to adjust, just the temperature.  Dial in how hot you want it and push the button.  It stays at that temp until you adjust it.  When you run out of juice it will not fire anymore.  Coils last a long time, but they cost quite a bit more.  It is pretty simple!

So an EVOD glass tank with a dual coil is considered a beginner device now? If this involves math, I am out. :lol: Thank you for your replies! I promise not to try sub-ohm.

I am not as OG as some of y'all.... and that is what I started with. :)

Just to add, I think it is device specific more so than pure resistance. I have had 1,8 Ohm KPT2 coils left over and I saw a youtube video showing than you can use it for kanger subtank in a pinch so I tried it. While both stock coils have the same resistance, they are not equal.

Edited by iQuit

• 9 months later...
On 8/10/2015 at 9:37 PM, jasonculp said:

The iStick 40 TC is close to a perfect beginner temp control setup.  No watts to adjust, just the temperature.  Dial in how hot you want it and push the button.  It stays at that temp until you adjust it.  When you run out of juice it will not fire anymore.  Coils last a long time, but they cost quite a bit more.  It is pretty simple!

Finally!!! I get it...Thanks! :D

That was the best simple explanation I've heard on how to work my iSTick 40 in TC....Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2015 at 0:21 PM, Jeffb said:

I started off at 35 i don't know if they make it anymore,lol.I went all the way down to zero,after a year and a half,well I flew through juice so fast it was crazy,so back to three a while,then I got stressed out and picked up six again,then started flying through that like water.I recently found that not to do the trick,and started flying through it faster than the zero.the other day I slipped up and had just one smoke,it was disgusting!I upped my level to 12,and I am doing pretty good I keep six on hand,too I kind of alternate,depending on the cravings I am having.but like the wise cookie I quoted only six before bed,I was at the point where I was vaping only vg before bed,but that just wasn't working for me lol.my point in all this madness is that you may want to keep a couple of different levels on hand,just in case.you don't want to crave,a ciggie,we have all been down that path before!but I believe  you can do anything you set your mind to,in this life.you may end up going through more juice to achieve the same effect,but I think it will wane after a while.the human body is amazing in the way it can adjust.I just need a lot of nicotine right now lol,and can't afford to chain vape haha so it's twelve.eventually,when I get adjusted to the new stress level in my life,I will lower my nicotine level again.but for now I'm on the upswing. I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. But.  Don't shame yourself if you have to go back up,stuff happens.thank you for reading my book,I can sign a copy if you want hahaha