Loving making my own juices... but...

Yeah, this is probably more of a rant first, before my question :)

I've been making my own juices to suit MY tastes, and apparently everyone around me who vapes has noticed the non-commercial labels on my bottles, and many of them have commented on the "flavorful aroma" of my juices...

I never got into this to make a profit, or even to provide more than an occasional bottle to my brother-in-law...  I stated DIY so I could save a bunch of $ and mix flavors the way I wanted them to taste...

So, why is it once your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers find out you make your own juices (like you're now capable of performing magic), do they immediately start asking, "Can you mix me up some Mango Peach with a hint of Lemon and Sweet-Cream, not too sweet, oh, and maybe with a little Smokey-Caramel after-taste?" (-- yeah, they don't ask for much, do they? --)?  And then, they get upset when you tell them "no", or they don't take "no" for an answer, and bug you for two weeks (daily)...  Then, if you do give-in and make them a bottle of some concoction, they get upset when you hold out your hand for payment?  I mean, seriously, I DO have $$ invested in that glass/plastic bottle AND the ingredients IN IT (not even counting my time), and can't justify giving them away!

I guess my question is, do I continue to say "I'm sorry, but I don't sell my creations (nor do I give them away)"... or, do I just give in and sell a few here and there and let everyone else pay for my supplies?  I mean, I could potentially make $100 this weekend, just providing a few bottles to family and a couple of co-workers.... 

The perils of DIY....

It's like when you figure out how to install a new appliance at home and your neighbor says "hey, can you do that for me???"

Ummm...not unless I see green haha. People don't realize the time and effort into any kind of diy.....or maybe they do!! :)

"Can you mix me up some Mango Peach with a hint of Lemon and Sweet-Cream, not too sweet, oh, and maybe with a little Smokey-Caramel after-taste?"

Actually, that doesn't sound half bad if you leave off the smokey caramel after-taste.  :lol:

In the end, I guess it all depends on if you want to take the time and make the effort to sell your juices. If you do, I'd make a price list of how much a single flavor juice would cost and then a la carte each additional ingredient and bottle and the time it would take for you to put it together. Give them the price list and see if they still want that juice so badly. If they do, you make extra money. They may see the price list and go, "Hell no, I'm not paying that!" In which case you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Take the compliment for what it is, I'm sure your juices smell wonderful.  :)

Actually, that doesn't sound half bad if you leave off the smokey caramel after-taste.  :lol:

In the end, I guess it all depends on if you want to take the time and make the effort to sell your juices. If you do, I'd make a price list of how much a single flavor juice would cost and then a la carte each additional ingredient and bottle and the time it would take for you to put it together. Give them the price list and see if they still want that juice so badly. If they do, you make extra money. They may see the price list and go, "Hell no, I'm not paying that!" In which case you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Take the compliment for what it is, I'm sure your juices smell wonderful.  :)

Tam, I think you may have the best idea...

I'm not opposed to making juice for anyone, just don't want to make it into a full-time gig, and definitely don't want to lose any money (or friends) over the deal :)   I think I'll take your suggestion and make a price sheet (business-card size) and when someone asks me to make them a bottle of "whatever", I can hand them a card.  If they're willing to pay at that point, I'll take the time to mix it up :)

Hmmm... now... Since time is money, is $100 for 30ml too much?  :evil:

Reminds me of the classic line from Volunteers (Tom Hanks):

Chung Mee: Opium is my business. The bridge mean more traffic. More traffic mean more money. More money mean more power.

Lawrence Bourne III: Yeah, well, before I commit any of that to memory, would there be anything in this for me?

Chung Mee: Speed is important in business. Time is money.

Lawrence Bourne III: You said opium was money.

Chung Mee: Money is Money.

Lawrence Bourne III: Well then, what is time again?

I agree with you earthling i only started doing diy liquid at first to save myself some cash, but i did have the idea to see if i could sell some here and there. And i found a customer so far, but hey who knows word of mouth could get out and i could easily get more. But if the whole selling my custom blends does not work then i just go back to mixing for me and the wife.

I think when it comes to DIY more people will be doing if the Regs kick in and you see vendors disappear. This is where the black./gray market kicks in. I know that I will always have e-lquid available to myself in any situation.  If you make it and all vendors (Worse case) have to stop selling... Your services may be in high demand.

*raises hand* oh oh Tam pick me pleaseeeeeeee

It would all depend on how your juices taste... to me. I have a difficult palate to please because I'm flavor challenged. Right now I'm putting Comp through his paces trying to figure out what I can taste and what I can't at what levels. Lol.  :D

I think I will have to make a Extra Strong for Tam. :D Time to put my skills to the real test. :yes I love a good challenge. :D

You make a good point, Comp.... not about Tam being picky, lol... we already knew that :evil: but you have indirectly understated the the reason there are 50,000,000 different flavors and intensities of flavors from hundreds of thousands of different vendors...  

I knew every palate was different, but when two people say they want 10ml of "Strawberry", and you mix 20ml then pour it into two 10ml bottles... one person says it's too strong, one says it's too weak (and not sweet enough)  :wallbash:

Now I know why you mix most everything "to-order", and I envy your experience and knowing what your clients like, too!

I normally make a batch that is weaker or stronger than normal depending which of my friends ask. Then I give them  base/flavorings to tweak it themselves, and where to get them.

Next thing you know, in a few months,  you will be swapping recipes and batches. I think there was a month, maybe two where I did not make anything. They keep giving me stuff to try out.  :thumbup:

Well earthling, It sounds to me as though mixing the juices for the people around you is not something you really want to do. If that is the case I say you just tell them it is not something you do for other people and you have no intent to.

I feel like vaping is something we do as a form of enjoyment and once you start having to make it a chore it loses something. To me it is either keep your habbit/hobby as fulfilling as it can be or just go all in and make it a true business like compenstine. 

If i am misreading your thoughts I do apologize. 

I can imagine if I were mixing my own juices I would enjoy my friends filling their tanks and giving me input on my juices but I would not enjoy attempting making them flavors they want as I am sure there are far more qualified people to fulfill their desires. 

Again I am not trying to be disrespectful to you or your friends/family just putting an opinion out there.