Where Do People Go?

Bebop I have an opinion and it is based on a few conversations on Facebook and other venues but when the forum was in its original form when I joined the VT store existed but the forum was very separate or at least it felt that way. I think there for a while there was such a push to get people to buy from the VT store the forum seemingly turned into an advertisement. I post more sporadically because the new format on mobile is way less user friendly and lack of activity breeds lack of activity.

Even myself who is somewhat active have backed away some largely because I can check the forum every 3 days and stay caught up from lack of activity. We used to have a lot of activity and open discussions BUT I think now many are afraid or feel bad about offering advice (especially about vendors) because we love Chris and Comp so much we do not want to steer people in different directions even if we feel in their best interest (more VT store not Fadora have never had anything less than stellar experiences there). Personally I have had "not great" experiences with the VT store and I wonder if that is the norm and it has pushed some away. Chris and I have talked a lot about this.  I miss the banter with Troy and others that were always around to make me laugh or smile throughout the day.

As far as vaping goes most everything has passed me by lol. I rarely have anything to add. I can only say "Personally I prefer a Davide tank with KPT single coil at low wattage and 1.8ohm" so many times when a noob is wanting to vape at 50w and .3ohms.

Well, B, you bring up some good points. It was definitely different back then and there were dozens of good guys contributing, if not technically, socially anyway and it was good. I, as well, always shied away from steering people elsewhere because this is a good site and you get good and honest help here. I know I appreciated it in the beginning. I owe my success in vaping to VT in general and the large body of well meaning contributors.  

I can't help but wonder if the proliferation of B&Ms has contributed and there may very well be the same proliferation in forums as well, I don't know, I haven't really searched them out since I found VT back in the day.  It may be a case of saturation as well. 

What are the things that contribute to VTs success? Or what could we add? Or are these guys falling off the wagon and too embarrassed to come back? I don't know, I tend to hope that they move on but continue to vape and spread the word. 

Summers have always been a bit slower than winter because people spend time outside and do other activities. That said, the forum really has slowed down even more than usual lately.

LIke B said, I miss the banter with some of the "old regulars" we used to see like Troy and Josh. Kitsune and Blucavvy were MIA, came back for a while and now they're MIA again. I also miss seeing Brian from The Veteran Vaper, and Chris used to be more active on the boards. Ah, the good old days... Although, we do have some great new-ish members around these days too like Earthling789, Cany, JasonCulp, Adversarious1... They've been a great addition to our little family.  :)

Although, we do have some great new-ish members around these days too like Earthling789, Cany, JasonCulp, Adversarious1... They've been a great addition to our little family.  :)

absolutely, and they are all appreciated greatly, Dragongunner, Bush, Rich, and a bunch of others - it's a good group. 

Sometimes I wish people would just say goodbye so we could wish them well...lol. :lol:

But more likely they'll just drop in and say hi when they can....:D

Ha! I did the same thing! I was looking around at the other forums, some new, some old and their traffic looks to be pretty slow. Even the section in Reddit seemed to be lacking discussion. Most of the forums seemed to be over filled with supplier sections. The social areas were small and pretty hard to find. Even took a look at ECF. Wow! talk about a sterile layout.

I do wonder if the B&M's are making an impact. Not a bad theory.

I try to contribute as much as I can but I'm still fairly new to the vaping community and alot of the time I either don't want to look like an *** and post something others have more experience with or alot of the time I don't get much of a response but that could be my fault not leaving my responses very open ended, but either way everyone I see posting since I've been around seems very nice and willing to go the extra mile to give advice.

I'm in the same boat as rainbowtears.  Still fairly new and I don't want to over-step what some may perceive to be a limited amount of knowledge based on the limited amount of time vaping.  I posted a lot more frequently when I first joined and was still buying new gadgets and juices every other week.  I still chime in when I feel I have something to contribute, when I have an opinion or when I have a question, though.  I could probably be more active (I do tend to stay logged in all the time, even if just through the Tapatalk app) but a lot of the time others are simply quicker on the draw than I am and I see no point in repeating exactly what someone else has already said.

Never fear, though...y'all are stuck with me for at least 228 more posts after this one.  Gotta earn my way into that VIP Room ;)

Edited by Adversarious1

I have not been here that long, but it is definitely home.  It really seems to go through swings of being busy, and dead.  I am not active, but frequent a few other boards, and they have declined too.

As far as vaping goes most everything has passed me by lol. I rarely have anything to add. I can only say "Personally I prefer a Davide tank with KPT single coil at low wattage and 1.8ohm" so many times when a noob is wanting to vape at 50w and .3ohms.

I still think the majority of people, who I see locally, vape just like you.  It is concerning that B&M's and most websites promote the subohm rigs for newbies.  I feel like I stepped up fairly rapidly, and I probably would not be subohming constantly if it was not for temp control.

I personally feel like you have a lot of knowledge and experience to add to the board, bcarter!

BUT I think now many are afraid or feel bad about offering advice (especially about vendors) because we love Chris and Comp so much we do not want to steer people in different directions even if we feel in their best interest (more VT store not Fadora have never had anything less than stellar experiences there).

I had trouble with this for a while.  I buy all of my juice from Comp, so that is not an issue.  I would try to steer people to the VT store all I could, but it got where the equipment was not staying current, so I had to steer them to other places.  It seems to be better, but not keeping up with the other online stores.  I can understand, there is just so much money for inventory, and in the crazy word of vaping things change overnight.  It would be easy to end up with a bunch of useless inventory.

My cousin told me that the B&M they deal with is breaking away from cloud chasing. That particular store seems to think it will be the downfall of vaping as we know it. I found it very interesting that they would make that decision, considering most shops seem to be pushing the sub-ohm products on noobs today.

My cousin told me that the B&M they deal with is breaking away from cloud chasing. That particular store seems to think it will be the downfall of vaping as we know it. I found it very interesting that they would make that decision, considering most shops seem to be pushing the sub-ohm products on noobs today.

Smart store owner IMO. 

Everyone knows I do not do the whole B&M thing anyway but I follow them on Facebook and at least one of them is finally speaking out against cloud competitions and wrote a great article about "Vaping as a sport" and how it is detrimental to our rights. They condemn the competitions BUT still push sub-ohm as "the only way to go" and I know dozens of people over the years I have steered to Sweet-Vapes with recommendations that still vape today after trying high maintenance difficult to understand equipment. Its a hot button topic for me. If someone wants to sub ohm cloud chase safely in private that is their prerogative but to do it in public to me is no different than someone smoking pot in public while screaming for legalization. If vaping is perceived by the masses as ANYTHING but a smoking cessation technique then we will ultimately be the losers of this fight.

I agree with you that competition style vaping or "sport" vaping doesn't help vaping causes and in fact endangers vaping in general. 

I think it's also important to make a distinction between competition cloud chasing and sub ohm.  Sub ohm does not equal cloud chasing necessarily. Yes, you get higher performance with sub ohm but you can easily curb that performance and not flaunt it.  

We are really talking about a behavioral aspect of vaping, and not sub ohm. 

I will be the first to admit that sub ohm (or low ohm) vaping is a little indulgent. But it can be done responsibly and probably is done responsibly by most. That is the key. There are plenty of Ferrari driving the speed limit out there

Bebop I agree sub ohm and cloud chasing are completely different and do not mean to lump them together. Its not the act of sub ohming or even cloud chasing that is dangerous to our perception it is the place and time people choose to do it.

Take that complete idiot Cesar. He felt he had the "right" to vape wherever he wanted with no regard to what others thought. It is inevitable he will end up with a cloud chasing rig at some point and have no regard for others around him. That is what I am talking about not the guy on his back deck blowing clouds lol. There are lots of things I can condone doing in my home, car, boat etc... that I would not deem acceptable in a social environment.

There was a vape meet in New Jersey a few weeks ago. From what I heard it was a total fiasco. New Jersey has a ban on indoor vaping, all indoor vaping. The health department showed up and started issuing tickets, somewhere in the range of $500. There was a dancer performing on a stripper pole, a car advertising marijuana use, and the e-liquid manufacturers that had cartoon/candy looking designs. They even had a visit from a State Senator. This expo was not one of the community's more shining moments. There was a lot of uproar and controversy surrounding the events that took place that weekend.

PBusardo attended the event and posted two videos about the adventure. I am not going to post them, but if interested, you can look for them on his Youtube page.

Most comments about the event said this is why we can't be taken seriously in our fight.

See. That is just sad.  

But I would say the same about street racing, neglectful parenting, irresponsible gun ownership.  The extreme elements to any endeavor have always threatened responsible behavior.  

absolutely, and they are all appreciated greatly, Dragongunner, Bush, Rich, and a bunch of others - it's a good group. 

Sometimes I wish people would just say goodbye so we could wish them well...lol. :lol:

But more likely they'll just drop in and say hi when they can....:D

Someone noticed me :D 

Also, I'm not exactly new.. 

"Joined: Jan 2, 2013" LOL

Edited by Bushwick