Vape noob, smoker for 10 years, have about 100-150 to spend

Hi guys, lurked for a while, first time poster.

Even after lurking I still don't know what is a good set-up for my needs.

Like I said in the title, I have about 100-150 for a set-up.

What I'm looking for:

- something that is portable, as I'm out and about during the day and would like to use it on the go

- something I won't need to upgrade any time soon

- decent "smoke" decent smell/taste

Only thing I've heard from multiple people is the IPV Mini 2 is good, but I'm open for suggestions.

I'd like a decent run-down on what I'd need from coils to batteries, etc. and which online sites are best to buy from.

Sorry if I come off as picky, I just figured I'd be as detailed as possible to avoid confusion.

If you have any questions for me to answer, ask away, and thanks in advance.

Hmmmm.....

How much did you smoke?

Lights or full flavor?

Will you be able to charge on the go? Or how long do you need your battery to last between charges?

Do you have any vaping experience?

Nope, you're not being picky... we'll need a bit more info as Bebob said :)

Welcome, BTW... glad you finally "joined-up" :D

The IPV-mini2 is excellent, but not quite what I would consider a beginner or even moderate-advanced user equipment because you have to use rechargeable batteries (and buy a dedicated charger)... and as a beginner, you'll NOT need 70 Watts of power (rarely do any of us need 70W, lol). 

When you start out, you want to maximize your equipment for minimum cost, so you can save some cash for the "pursuit of juice".  Rarely will you find your flavor out of the starting gate, and rarely will your first choice in tanks, coil resistance, or batteries be your go-to forever.  As you start out, you'll want at least two batteries (of whatever style you choose) so you can have one to use and one to charge (or two flavors running at the same time).  You'll also want a bare minimum of two tanks so you can switch flavors, try new flavors, etc.  Personally, I'd recommend 4-6 tanks, even if they are the disposable Ce4's, so you can get more bang for your buck and be able to try many flavors without having to clean tanks and waste coils.  Good starter tanks are Kanger ProTank 2's (or something similar from Davide, Aspire, Innokin, etc.).  The KPT2 are suggested because they are inexpensive (compared to others), vape well, and have cheap replacement coils... After more than a year of vaping, I still use my KPT2 and AeroTanks daily!

Yep. More info please!

You're in good hands with Bebop and Earthling. They won't steer you wrong and you'll have your money spent well. Oh, and it's vapor, not "smoke". There's a huge difference health-wise between the two.    :)

Thanks for the replies, guys (maybe gals too).

Sorry I haven't responded yet, I'm in the middle of a move, so it's been hectic the last few days.

To answer Bebop's questions, I smoke between half a pack and a pack a day, Parliaments (used to be called Parliament Lights).

I can have charging on the go, but I'd prefer to have rechargeable batteries (I'll buy a few extra).

As far as vaping goes, no experience with "e-cig" vaping, just the ones you can buy at 7-11.

To reply to some of what Earthling said, I appreciate your insights. The reason I brought up the IPV mini 2 is just because from what I've heard, it's something I can grow into. I'd rather buy something once and not have to upgrade in the future. You know more than I do, so I'm not speaking from your experience level, just with other things in life, I've learned its best to buy "some" things that are a little pricier (better?) just so I don't have to rebuy things later. I don't know if that logic applies to vaping though.

I've got a high of about 100-150 to spend, so I don't mind spending a bit more for something nice, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to spend that much if it's not the best option. I would just like a nice RTA setup so I can vape on the go while I'm driving, working, etc.

Sorry Tam! Didn't mean to call it smoking lol. Didn't realize I did.

If there is anything else you guys would like to know, feel free to ask!

If you're starting with $100 - $150, you need to keep in mind that you're wanting/needing to get a minimum of two batteries to start. At least two tanks and two 5-packs of replacement coils. If you're going to go with something with a removable battery, you'll need to get several of those as well as a separate charger. That doesn't include the e-liquid. If you're going with something like an eGo or Vision Spinner pen style battery, you'll need at least one (preferably two) chargers and a wall wort/AC adapter.

In the beginning, you're not going to know what you like so it's going to be trial and error. Small sample packs would be what I'd recommend in a 24 mg nicotine, 50 PG/50 VG blend.

An RTA stands for Rebuildable Tank Atomizer. Most often, these are the ones where you build the coil yourself. This requires a working knowledge of Ohm's Law to keep yourself safe, an Ohm meter, tweezers, torch (recommended), wire, wick, and a basic knowledge of  batteries, safety and vaping in general. I would not recommend a new vaper start with an RTA.

What I would recommend for anyone starting, is a basic pen style battery like a Vision Spinner, a charger, AC adapter, two or three Kanger Pro Tank (KPT) or Pro Tank mini (Anyvape Davide or Davide mini are very similar to the KPT but perform better in my opinion), two 5-packs of 1.8 ohm single KPT coils (all tanks named use the same coil), and some sample packs of different flavors of juice. That would come in around $150 or a little under. For me, I prefer the KISS method when starting something new. You can always upgrade later when you have more knowledge and know what you're looking for and like.   :)

What Tam has given you is solid advice. It will be miles ahead of those 7-11 rip-off packs. And you will likely be satisfied for some time. Honestly, I've been vaping for 2 years and the standard ego batteries and the pro tanks are my daily go to devices. They're easy to use and maintain, discreet and make good flavor and vapor with the right juice. That'll give you plenty of time to try out other stuff if you think you'll need more than that later.

If you have an actual vape shop near you (vape only - no wanna be smoke shops) you can always stop in and check the gear and see what you like but just make sure you talk to somebody who knows what they're doing. They'll help you out to.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to VT. This is a great place to read, listen, ask questions and learn. You will find everyone here patient and willing to assist. I hope that you have a great vaping experience and always remember vape etiquette and safety. 

In the past I started with and always recommended the Kanger EVOD2. Present day, I am not sure if i totally agree with the pen style start up kit anymore.  Way to many products out now such as istick 30w etc etc.   I do agree with going to a B&M, touching and feeling  units till u get one that one that feels comfortable.  Also he said he didn't want to upgrade anytime soon; i am the same way i like t o grow into something versus out growing something quickly.  Regulated units have some safety built in.  A subtank mininano or a similar product allows one different coil setup options.

Also i have noticed that B&Ms are carrying more "premium" juices that are higher VG ie  60/40  70/30 juices, its getting harder to find 50/50 unless you get their shop brews.  IMHO those require a bit more power to enjoy ie >15w.

here is a setup i would consider extremely safe and one can get for 80-90 bucks(probable cheaper now), then add another 30 for a few bottles of  juice

20150217_180850_zpserdecqfe.jpg

The reason why I recommended the pen style batteries is because they are cheaper and the new vaper can buy two. If his vape budget were bigger, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an Eleaf iStick 30W or 50W but having no back up when one is charging or should one get lost or break... is not acceptable, especially to someone who is trying to get off and stay off analogs.

Back ups. Have them. Then, get back ups of your back ups. You can never have too many.  :)

I agree with having back ups for back ups. I thought it was just a ploy to get me to buy stuff, but it is really important. 
However I think having the right gear from the get go is equally important. I almost quit vaping with Evod clearos, and from what I have
read from those who are trying vaping a 2nd or 3rd time around here and in other forums use clearos. 

Clearo types are great to get you started, and sometimes it is enough to make the switch permanent without going through lot$ of hardware evolution.  For me, I would recommend a Kanger Kbox since someguyinoregon prefers replaceable battery, and gives OP the headrroom to grow into without buying more stuff.

For the top, I would have gone for Delta II or subtank mini again for headroom. That leaves enough budget for a pair of quality cells and charger, ohm reader, coils, juice, and a budget clearo/pen for back up.

As budget allows for quality back-ups, OP can simply get a second device and topper, go from there.
Edited by iQuit

i like kanger quality, but i have to say that for me the kbox just falls short ( i have seen its on sale at under 25 bucks)  I personally went with and am happy with the IPV mini 30w.  I am debating on an all black ipv mini 2 70w unit.

i like kanger quality, but i have to say that for me the kbox just falls short ( i have seen its on sale at under 25 bucks) I personally went with and am happy with the IPV mini 30w. I am debating on an all black ipv mini 2 70w unit.

Agreed on the kbox. Checked one out the other day. Felt...chintzy...cheap. Threads were very suspect for me...both battery cover and 510 threads. With the money I've spent on some of my tanks, I'm not about to risk cross-threading or stripping threads.

i like kanger quality, but i have to say that for me the kbox just falls short ( i have seen its on sale at under 25 bucks)  I personally went with and am happy with the IPV mini 30w.  I am debating on an all black ipv mini 2 70w unit.

The IPV mini 2 70W is a very nice unit. I have the IPV 30W (Earthling talked me into two of these), and I like all three.  :)

I have four IPV mini (three 30W and a 70W), and I think they are the best things since sliced bread :D  I also have two Cloupor Minis (30W), and they are so much nicer than the iStick 30W in the way they feel (sturdy, and they are the same physical size, give or take a millimeter or two), and just like the IPV-minis, they use 18650 batteries, so if I pack a spare battery or two, regardless of which device I'm using, I'll not have to worry about charging cables....

So, if you want a VV/VW device with 30W and replaceable batteries, you should consider the Clourpor Mini... Several sites have them for $30, so two of those would set you back $60.  Add in a decent NiteCore charger (i2 or i4) for $10-18 (Amazon has great prices), and at least a pair of Samsung 24r batteries for $14-25 (they generally run $6.50 each, also on Amazon)... So, now you're at $100 for two devices, four batteries, and a charger... The remaining $50 in your budget could buy as many as five Davide tanks or 3-4 Kanger Protank 2's.

Check out VapeNW.com... they have the Cloupor Minis for $30 and the AnyVape Davide tanks for $10.  Amazon is a great source for your Charger and batteries (I highly recommend the Samsung 25r).

I can't give any recommendations because every time something works great for me doesn't seem to last at being great.  I keep going back to my older stuff and think, "Oh yeah I remember why I loved this", then a few days later it loses its luster and I remember why the newer one was wonderful.  But I admire the way you are researching this.  I can't believe how much money I wasted playing with the cigalikes trying to get something that was as close to smoking as possible.  Once you realize what's out there that can give you great satisfaction that cigalike lust just fades away.  Two years later I'm still loving the chase for the perfect vape..... Far more fun than trying to find a cigarette that to quote the old commercial,  "really delivers the flavour" .