Watcha Readin'?

Starting my 4th book by Bernard Cornwell ( Sword Song ) to get ready for the Vikings TV series.
Don't usually get hooked on TV series, but this one lured me in.

And agree that Vonnegut is a Must read.

I firmly believe any book worth reading will eventually become a movie lol.

And they will change it beyond recognition by adding unneeded fan service scenes and changing the storyline so much it's pretty much unrecognizable from the original book when they finish. :D

I'm pretty cynical too when it comes to movie translations of books. Very few movies that came from books improve upon the book. Jaws is probably a good example of a one that out shone the book. But writers like Stephen King, Pat Conroy, Koontz, Steinbeck, and on, can never really be done well and always are a bit disappointing in the least. Chrichton was a great idea guy but I wouldn't call him a great writer so Jurrasic Park was a pretty good improvement over the book but a lot of his stuff was done poorly on film too.

For fun I read Koontz, Child's Reacher series, lots of Sci-Fi and thriller stuff but mostly I read music theory books, history or biography stuff. The last thing I read was An American Caddy at St. Andrews, a great little bio of an American college student who went to Scotland to caddy for the summer and fell in love with the place.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no way a 2 hour movie can fit everything from an entire book into it, so adjustments have to be made. Unless you want a 12 hour movie so that it just reads the book back to you with actors saying all the lines.

I get that movies tend to be letdowns from the books they're adapted from, but it's just the reality of the two mediums.

If you go into a movie knowing that it isn't going to be a letdown.

There's no way a 2 hour movie can fit everything from an entire book into it, so adjustments have to be made. Unless you want a 12 hour movie so that it just reads the book back to you with actors saying all the lines.

I get that movies tend to be letdowns from the books they're adapted from, but it's just the reality of the two mediums.

If you go into a movie knowing that it isn't going to be a letdown.

I agree totally. My comment came more from I just do not have or take time to read anymore. Never really enjoyed reading but used to work menial jobs with a lot of down time so I read to pass the time. I read a lot in college but now I work, boat, lead a scout pack,hunt and stay so busy I have to pencil in a meal muchless reading. Not only that I prefer movies so not reading the book does not ruin the movie for me lol.

Like my sig line states, time to read...
In my job in the Military, the most heard phrase was "Hurry up and Wait".
Always kept a paperback book stashed in my A bag.
Now fully retired and just read even more.

Chrichton was a great idea guy but I wouldn't call him a great writer so Jurrasic Park was a pretty good improvement over the book but a lot of his stuff was done poorly on film too.

I've only read a couple Chrichton's, but I must say that 'Timeline' was one of my favorite books. I was told they made a movie of it, and I'm glad I never saw it, as I would find it impossible (as with most attempts) to duplicate the quality of the movie it created in 'my mind'.

I never read 'Lonesome Dove', but I saw the mini series. My son read the book after seeing the mini series and said compared to the book, the mini series is like a 'condensed' version. I will either see a movie, or read the book, but never both.

I've only read a couple Chrichton's, but I must say that 'Timeline' was one of my favorite books. I was told they made a movie of it, and I'm glad I never saw it, as I would find it impossible (as with most attempts) to duplicate the quality of the movie it created in 'my mind'.

I never read 'Lonesome Dove', but I saw the mini series. My son read the book after seeing the mini series and said compared to the book, the mini series is like a 'condensed' version. I will either see a movie, or read the book, but never both.

Timeline was done very well for a movie that started out as a book. The book will always be better but I didn't hate Timeline (the movie) at all. My favorite Creighton will always be Airframe and Five Patients.

Timeline was done very well for a movie that started out as a book. The book will always be better but I didn't hate Timeline (the movie) at all. My favorite Creighton w ill always be Airframe and Five Patients.

Then 'Airframe' will be added to my shortlist. I read 'State of Fear' after I read Timeline, it was good, but didn't impress me as much.