Rather horrifying first experience with vaping–– food and tobacco tasting like the vape?

eleanore

I went down to a store today that sells ecigs and liquids and the like to try things out.

When I asked to try something out the guy at the shop gave me an eGo with some RY4, which I *think* was dekang liquid. I assume this because 1) I hear that dekang provides 90% of the market and 2) the stuff tasted awful–– a burnt, chemical, tin-like taste. I've read of a few other people reporting similar problems with dekang liquid, though I wouldn't be able to tell if it was the liquid or a dry wick or something else.

Now, as I said it tasted terrible, but what I really found horrifying about the whole thing is that since taking a few puffs from the vape (it's now about 12 hours later), whenever I EAT or SMOKE (I use rolling tobacco, not regular cigarettes) the first thing I taste is the lingering scent of the eliquid/vape. I lift a sandwich to my mouth and feel the lingering taste of the vape. I light a cigarette and taste the vape. Drinking is normal, and unless eating or smoking I don't notice any taste in my mouth. It's bizzare, and actually I feel weirdly violated. It's been slowly dropping off–– by now it's very subtle and just when I smoke. With the first thing I ate though (bread) it was kind of shock, like drinking milk when one was expecting water.

The thing is, I have no intention of quitting real tobacco, but I would like to have an ecig for those times when it comes in handy, which could be daily. However, if it's going to interfere with my enjoyment of regular tobacco and food, that's a serious problem. I noticed also that the first few cigarettes I had after the vape left me somewhat unsatisfied, and thinking about the vape. This got me considering the possibility that dekang (if it was dekang) is producing product intended to make analogs less satisfying in comparison. I doubt whether this is actually the case, but given the unregulated market and the historical methods of large businesses, it would also make perfect sense. It's what you would expect, really.

So really I'm looking for any answers. I've dug deep into the internet looking for someone reporting this same experience, specifically the taste of vaped eliquid lingering in food and in smoke, but haven't found anything. The fact that the taste can seem completely gone until eating something or lighting a cigarette is inexplicable to me.

Was it just the liquid I was using? I feel like there must be some other people out there who had this experience when they were just getting into vaping as well.

I have only had this kind of issue witth my Rush mint. It's gas station garbage. (Honestly, the rush isn't too gross for what it is, considering it's probable age)

The after taste of the Rush e-liquid sticks plastic bits of my dental work (Mouth injuries following a car crash) and tastes pretty poor for a while after vaping it.

Brush your teeth and get better e-liquid.

Oh... One of my other mints also sticks to my dental work, but it's a pleasant experience and doesnt last long. Like having just used breath spray, but yummier. I just give the fake parts of my mouth a lick to make the good mint go away.

Edited by HelloMiakoda

I have had the dekang RY4 and never had that problem. liquids come from all over these days, many make their own. but, like food, there are many likes, dislikes and reactions, depending on the person. nothing is added to the liquids to affect cigarettes (yes the dekang liquids have been tested). another flavor or brand might work better for you. you can always ask the shop what liquids they use or if they make their own. personally, I stay away from tobacco flavors....they don't taste right to me.

However, I personally much prefer vaping to smoking....mind you its been 4.5 years for me, so its the memory of smoking. I really, really don't miss the nasty taste of tobacco, I have tried it since I quit smoking and given my choice I will stick with vaping.

BTW...I was like you, just looking for something to use when I couldn't smoke. I quit smoking the day I started vaping.

However, I personally much prefer vaping to smoking....mind you its been 4.5 years for me, so its the memory of smoking. I really, really don't miss the nasty taste of tobacco, I have tried it since I quit smoking and given my choice I will stick with vaping.

BTW...I was like you, just looking for something to use when I couldn't smoke. I quit smoking the day I started vaping.

Ditto. Vape is way better.

I picked up vaping as an alternative way to use nicotine. I find it more satisfying than smoke as I can have as much or as little as I want. Lighting a cig... you're pretty much committed to a whole cigarette.

Try mint. I wasn't a menthol smoker, but I found the mints and menthols more satisfying than trying to find a tobacco match. Coffee is another that satisfies me instead of tobacco for me.

My other flavors are for when I just wanted a vape and not instead of a cigarette.

Edited by HelloMiakoda

Thanks everyone for your input.

See, this is what I'm afraid of. I do not want to lose my taste for cigarettes. I have always like the taste of cigarettes. If vaping makes me dislike actual cigarettes I will be very, very unhappy.

For me, the horrifying effect of my clothes, my hands, my breath stinking like bunghole and not being able to truly taste food and not to mention the health issues that smoking causes was enough for me to quit smoking.

I suppose you have a point. I personally like the smell of tobacco (not manufactured cigs, but high quality rolling tobacco), but no doubt the horror I am describing can not compare to emphysema, lung cancer, throat cancer, mouth cancer, and so on.

See, this is what I'm afraid of. I do not want to lose my taste for cigarettes. I have always like the taste of cigarettes. If vaping makes me dislike actual cigarettes I will be very, very unhappy.

It's just possible...just possible ....that your love of cigarettes is actually chemical addiction. A year ago I loved cigarettes too. Not any more.

Just something to ponder.

First off, what you probably have going on is some residual juice on your fingers. Or possibly on your lips. Did you fill the tank yourself? It at some point in time, when you were inhaling it, was it sort of spitting juice at you?

I suppose you have a point. I personally like the smell of tobacco (not manufactured cigs, but high quality rolling tobacco), but no doubt the horror I am describing can not compare to emphysema, lung cancer, throat cancer, mouth cancer, and so on.

Okay, tough love time (I'm sorry). I NEVER thought I would quit. Even when the docs said smoking would make my MS worse, never thought I'd quit. Tried nicotine replacement stuff, never worked beyond, at the outside, 48 hours, and I was lucky to last 12. I LOVED smoking. I'd looked at e-cigarettes, but all I knew of was Blu - and that's more expensive than what I was spending on analogs. I smoked analogs for twenty five years, from as soon as my feet in the floor in the morning, to just before I went to bed. I enjoyed it. But I also had plenty of reasons to quit. Family members with COPD, with family members who developed medical conditions that while they may not have been directly caused by a lifetime of smoking, they were made worse by it (usually something that there is a family history of). My sister's mother in law had a recurrence of breast cancer. She refused to quit smoking, so her doctor refused to treat her breast cancer (since smoking causes cancer), other than comfort measures. Who knows what would have happened had she put down the analogs for good. Someone else, before I met this family, the grandfather got lung cancer. He didn't put down analogs until they removed a lung. Six years to the day after cancer took him, his wife died as well, after being on oxygen for so many years, it was before I met that family (so at least 4).

But then I saw an article in my local paper (it's in the news section of the forum) that showed that what I consider "real" vaping isn't about the expense of things like Blu (cigalikes), and it could cut our vaping expenses to a fraction of what our smoking expenses were.

First off, the clerk shouldn't have just "given you" RY4. If they were truly there to help you, they should have shown you the available flavors, and let you sample them. RY4 isn't for everyone, and it took months before I actually liked it - and that was finding a version of it you like. Vaping isn't going to work for ANYONE unless they can find a flavor they like and will actually use.

Edited by spydre

IMHO, I would rather the FDA ban analogs than put up the stink about E-cigs. I'm a long time analog smoker and I would say if E-cigs were around when I started, I doubt I would have even looked at an analog. Unlike a few, I started vaping to quit but, was very skeptical that it would work. To my surprise after just a few months I didn't even want an analog. No one here has the right or wants to judge anyone that smokes an analog and vapes. It is just that most of us, just don't want analogs any more. I haven't ever had a tasting problem with E-Cigs. The only time I had an issue was when I flavored straight USP Glycerin from WalMart when I first started out. It coated my tongue and throat, was very unpleasant. I have since learned to only use 100% pure Vegetable Glycerin and mix it with GP. I have to because of my T2 Diabetes, but the other reason as well. Don't stress over it if you end up one day deciding you don't want analogs any more.... Rejoice! :yes

Edited by Compenstine

Forgive me... but that's a little silly. If you loose your taste for one thing because you have something better, how is that bad? I mean that about absolutely anything in life.

I lost my taste in fruit snacks when I found I really like actual berries.

I lost my taste for Zima when I found Tequiza. (Which is now gone, those bastards!)

I lost my taste for sugary coffee when I found nicer coffee and better ways to sweeten it.

I lost my taste for compact cars when I discovered symetrical AWD.

Always appreciate what you have, but be open to something better - at least in regards to objects and physical pleasures.

I still like cogarettes, but vape is better. My taste for them didnt go away, it just got replaced by something better.

Okay, I'm going to address this, and another of your posts that I quoted that is further down in one shot. When I started vaping, I thought, there's no way I'm going to like these liquids more than my analogs....until, about 10 days in of getting rid of the packs we had, we found we were hitting on our eGos in between hits on the cigarette, because the juice tasted so much better. It's not that you lose the taste for your tobacco, you just, inevitably, when trying to find something to match that taste, end up finding something that tastes better.

For me, the horrifying effect of my clothes, my hands, my breath stinking like bunghole and not being able to truly taste food and not to mention the health issues that smoking causes was enough for me to quit smoking.

I think it was two days after I put analogs down, I could finally smell how smoky things in my house were. The throw blankets in the living room immediately got washed. Winter coats, my jackets that I tend to wear inside the house because I have little cold tolerance, ALL clothes, got rewashed. And that made me feel bad, realizing just HOW bad the smoke smell was on the boys' coats, sending them to school with their coats smelling like that. I got made fun of in middle school, likely because of the cigarette smoke odor on my clothes, and then I did the same thing to my boys.

I do have to agree that while I find the smell of say, pipe tobacco (that's the only thing I can compare that to), or maybe a good cigar (my fave that my SO smoked was a Macanudo Madoro), but the smoke smell, when I managed to smell it, horrified me.

I sat down the other on the bench at the grocery store where you could smoke, and where the people waiting for the bus hang out. What I smelled wasn't the yummy tobacco smell. What I smelled was not only smoke, but stale smoke on the people as well. My SO finds that being in room with people smoking turns his stomach. I had problems with it, but they were really only momentary, but it affected him the entire couple of hours we were there.

And my nephew works in garage/car shop where most of the guys are vapers. He said it smells so good in there just from what people are vaping.

It's just possible...just possible ....that your love of cigarettes is actually chemical addiction. A year ago I loved cigarettes too. Not any more.

Just something to ponder.

Nicotine isn't the only addictive substance in tobacco. I've posted this before. And just because it's not in a pre-rolled cigarette doesn't mean it's not there. It's there in rolling tobacco, cigars, pipe tobacco. MAOI's are pretty much the most addictive agent added into US tobacco, at least. In larger quantities, it CAN be used as a last line of defense anti-depressant. Very old school, and not used much these days because at therapeutic dosages, it interferes with MOST other meds. But the amount in tobacco is still enough to instill that addiction, worse than just nicotine alone. Not to mention the other 4000 + chemicals, designed to improve taste, and enrich addition, as well as 40+ known carcinogens.

And again, and finally, you can find flavors out there that may mimic what you are looking for, or, if you don't want a "tobacco" taste during those vaping times, you can find another flavor to use altogether that, while yummy, and they contain nicotine, they don't taste like tobacco.

Which brings up another point ....... I've been told that "high quality rolling tobacco" isn't anywhere near as harmful as a manufactured cigarette is with all the chemicals/spider&roach legs/sawdust/floor sweeps and whatever else goes into a "manufactured" smoke. I don't know fof certain, or have an opinion, just repeating what I've heard.

Which brings up another point ....... I've been told that "high quality rolling tobacco" isn't anywhere near as harmful as a manufactured cigarette is with all the chemicals/spider&roach legs/sawdust/floor sweeps and whatever else goes into a "manufactured" smoke. I don't know fof certain, or have an opinion, just repeating what I've heard.

I agree with what you "heard" but in no way is it better for you than regular tobacco. I smoked American Spirits for years and yes, I might of not had such a smokers cough, but in no way does that reduce any carcinogen levels..

The e-liquids are extremely potent and just having a small amount on your fingers, lips or nasal openings can remain pungent for days. I mix a lot of my own liquids, and sometimes can still smell the aroma on my hands after multiple hand washings.

RY-4 was probably not the best liquid to try first. When I first tasted it, I hated it, and thought it tasted like cologne mixed with used motor oil. I now actually enjoy the flavor, go figure.

If the atty they used had a burnt wick, the taste is terrible, and again can linger in your nostrils for days. Similar to firefighters who say they can still smell the fire days later.

Although none of the e-liquids taste exactly like tobacco, some come very close and are very enjoyable for those who enjoy the tobacco flavor. My suggestion is to try a variety of different ones until you find one you like. When I first started tasting the different tobacco flavors, some were so bad it was enough to make you gag. Ultimately I found some that were actually quite nice and tasted very close to real tobacco.

it's a shame your first experience was not pleasant, but don't give up. You'll find it very enjoyable and if you're like most, you won't even think about quitting tobacco, It will just happen.