Pv Or E-Cig?

brijmin

Just a quick question. What term do you prefer when talking about your device? PV or E-Cig

I prefer to use Personal Vaporizer because the word Cigarette has such a negative connotation that some people can't get past the fact these are NOT cigarettes.

PV's are as close to a cigarette as a Schwinn is to a Ducati. Even less so...

Anyways take the poll above and tell me what you think.

i think i prefer e-cig just because it is more direct. to be honest, i get a little embarrassed when using the catchy "insider" terms among people i know. i guess buzz terms make me feel like i'm kindof a nerd about it. even though i am :) it seems like some of the terminology that's been established around these products was developed by a teenager or something. that's nothing against those who use them, and I suppose I will use them as well. but i feel a little silly when i do.

I kinda like what that guy from the video called it.....Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhalation System..(penis)

Edited by snubber

LOL Snubber--I remember when that all started....very catchy acronym.

I seem to go back and forth also. PV does sound less negative, but the term e-cig is what gets peoples attention.

I usually use the term PV when talking to somebody that already knows about e-cigs.

I kinda like what that guy from the video called it.....Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhalation System..(penis)

Thanks. :unsure: Now I am not going to get that out of my head. Thank God I don't have a mod that looks like a dildo.

I use ecig exclusively. Personal vaporizers sounds almost illegal to me. I also extend ecig to electronic cigarette when talking to laymen about vaping. I also don't use terms like vaping or refer to myself as a vaper to avoid confusion. And I don't think anyone would have a clue if I called a cigarette an analog except you fine people. Lol!

• 1 year later...

I use ecig exclusively. Personal vaporizers sounds almost illegal to me. I also extend ecig to electronic cigarette when talking to laymen about vaping. I also don't use terms like vaping or refer to myself as a vaper to avoid confusion. And I don't think anyone would have a clue if I called a cigarette an analog except you fine people. Lol!

Ha! I was a little embarrassed to ask what a PV was. Thanks! I think I'll use that for a while.

I just call it a vaporizer. I have no issue with "Cigarette" - I am the type of person that will argue with someone who makes a nasty face or abuses a smoker, as I see nothing wrong with it. I haven't smoked a cigarette in at least 6 years though - and for me it was a transition between pipe smoking daily to vaping daily.

They are different things, and I think vaporizer more accurately describes it. Never use "personal" though - kind of redundant. I never referred to my personal pipe, or a personal cigarette before.

TL;DR = PV for just about everyone except my mother, who has lost 4 ecigs that I have bought her.

I also use "Puffer" as an affectionate name around my friends who ask to use it. "Hey can I use your puffer?"

I talk to a lot of people who smoke, because everyone that I know smokes just about. And at the gun range I get hassled a lot about my guns, and then they see me sucking on my device and they get questioning and I use Personal Vaporizer just because a lot of them think cigarettes are still cool.

I had a gentleman who quit smoking 10 years ago (granted he is a complete idiot, and the range warden on Wednesdays...) ask me what it was, and I told him that I used it to quit cigarettes. He boasted that he did it cold turkey, and when I told him that I quit cigarettes, he mumbled, "Well, almost." and that pissed me off and I simply don't deal with ignorance. I informed him that it was 100% safe and that nicotine is just about the same as caffeine. (Yes I know that the constriction of blood vessels caused by nicotine is a good cause of heart disease.) And he said he didn't believe it and that I was an idiot to think that this was safer...I no longer talk to this man.

So long as you get off of analogs, I am proud of you no matter how you did it.

Edited by sasetrase

i dont even bother argueing with morons that tell me its a crutch i did it cold turkey, well good for you have a nice day thanks for coming out. not everyone in the world can do it cold turkey, I will be the first to say it. MY names Ted and im addicted to cigaretts. lol

You know, there's just something about smokers that I find very cool. For the most part, they are a laid back and very accepting people. I love going out to the 'unofficial' smoking area at work. But, lately, since I stopped smoking, I've been bringing out my e-cig/pv. Some of them really, really like the idea. But, there's a general consensus that I'm not a smoker anymore. I should be happy about that. I am happy about that. But nonsmokers still consider the e-cig to be a cigarette, and smokers consider them... welI, I don't know what they consider them to be--just not a cigarette. This one smoker told me that it's more akin to drugs, a fix. Now, that disturbed me. What does he think he's doing when he's smoking a cigarette anyway! Oddball. So, I guess, we are a different society.

Edited by Breal

TL;DR = PV for just about everyone except my mother, who has lost 4 ecigs that I have bought her.

I also use "Puffer" as an affectionate name around my friends who ask to use it. "Hey can I use your puffer?"

I talk to a lot of people who smoke, because everyone that I know smokes just about. And at the gun range I get hassled a lot about my guns, and then they see me sucking on my device and they get questioning and I use Personal Vaporizer just because a lot of them think cigarettes are still cool.

I had a gentleman who quit smoking 10 years ago (granted he is a complete idiot, and the range warden on Wednesdays...) ask me what it was, and I told him that I used it to quit cigarettes. He boasted that he did it cold turkey, and when I told him that I quit cigarettes, he mumbled, "Well, almost." and that pissed me off and I simply don't deal with ignorance. I informed him that it was 100% safe and that nicotine is just about the same as caffeine. (Yes I know that the constriction of blood vessels caused by nicotine is a good cause of heart disease.) And he said he didn't believe it and that I was an idiot to think that this was safer...I no longer talk to this man.

So long as you get off of analogs, I am proud of you no matter how you did it.

I am not saying that he is any less of a **** for putting it the way he did - but in part, he does have a point. When you quit cold-turkey, that is a serious accomplishment, because you are cutting yourself off a drug that you are addicted to, and demonstrating the will to stay off of it.

When you switch to a PV, he's right - you only kind-of quit smoking. You are still taking the drug, and are still addicted to it. Yes, it is absolutely better for you, but you are still addicted to the drug.

I have a very libertarian position on the matter, and think if people want to take a certain drug, they are more than free to. But I have to say that he did accomplish something you did not. You both quit cigarettes, but he actually quit nicotine, which is much, much, much harder.

If vapers are going to promote the item based on it being a way to quit smoking, I think it's important to recognize that quitting the nicotine is also important, and someone who gets there without the aid of a PV is to be applauded. Because they did do it better than someone who just switched and is still getting their nicotine fix. Even if you are vaping, saying you are or are not a smoker is really just a semantics game. If you are taking in the nicotine, you are still addicted - no matter what delivery method you choose.

I think they are great for it, but I use it like I used cigarettes - because I like smoking, and really don't care to quit. Sure, I have the nic level dialed in low, but that works for me.

Ultimately, I think we should be less concerned with what other people think. PVs are good, because they don't have the carcinogens, but they are bad in a way because many are still used to deliver nicotine. It is a bad we choose to include in our lives, and we have every right to do so.

I guess it depends on how you present it. Rather than saying that you quit smoking, perhaps the device should be sold in your description as a healthier alternative. Because at the end of the day, those that are able to completely quit have accomplished more than those who still take in nicotine. They DO have more bragging rights, and I have a feeling (not accusing anyone specifically, mind you), there are some vapers who do brag about how they "quit smoking." And if I quit cold turkey (and I did at one point - there were several years between the time I smoked cigarettes and the time I picked up my pipe for recreational smoking), I would be a bit irritated by someone bragging about quitting when they never faced withdrawals.

I agree with almost everything you said Deadpool. Here's the part i don't agree with, no us vaper's have not (for the most part) given up nicotine. However, there are over 4,000 known chemicals in cigarettes, close to 100 of them are KNOWN carcinogens (there are probably a lot more which is why i emphasized the KNOWN part) and i don't know the exact number but i think it's a safe guess to say there are several hundred addictive chemicals in cigarettes.

Nicotine is not the only addictive substance in cigarettes is my point. I don't know for sure what the number of addictive chemicals are in cigarettes, but i know it's a lot. It's not just nicotine. Nicotine has been demonized over the years which is why the FDA approved quit smoking aids have such a horrible success rate. In effect, they don't work. Someone that quit using the patch, lozenges, or even the gum may as well have just quit cold turkey. I say this because we know FOR A FACT that nicotine is not the only addictive substance in cigarettes. If your'e going to quit, just quit, don't just give yourself 1 of the several addictive ingredients in one product. That's basically pointless.

My point is we all go through withdrawals when switching from cigs to vaping, some experience it bad, some don't. I didn't, switching was super simple and yet some people have to "ween" their way into vaping.

You are right though, the people that quit cold turkey deserve a lot more recognition than we do as when they wanted to quit they didn't use a "crutch", which is exactly what vaping is. Hate to admit it, but that's the truth. 99% of us looked to vaping to quit smoking and now look at it in an entirely different way. But really, that's all it is, a crutch.

.....we know FOR A FACT that nicotine is not the only addictive substance in cigarettes.

I would be VERY much interested in knowing what other chemicals in cigarettes are addicting. I'm convinced you are right. I did some research and found this from another forum:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/48181-cigarettes-addictive-chemicals.html

... but no one replied to it. It's disturbing.

NIcotine may not be the only addictive substance in cigarettes, but it is by far the MOST addictive substance. There is a reason smoking cessation aids only use nicotine - because that is the drug that is keeping you smoking, not the other things in cigarettes. There is also the habitual aspect, which is probably more to blame for gums and patches failing than anything else in a cigarette that is addicting.

Addictive is a broad term, and the more addictive something is, the harder it is to quit. Everything to do with smoking has been demonized, but that doesn't mean there isn't some truth to some of the claims. It is mostly a benign addiction like caffeine - but it is still an extremely powerful addiction that trumps everything else in a cigarette put together, and then some.

I'm not saying you aren't correct, but not all addictions are equal, and nicotine can be a very major one.

There is also the habitual aspect, which is probably more to blame for gums and patches failing than anything else in a cigarette that is addicting.

not all addictions are equal, and nicotine can be a very major one.

agreed x2 :yes