Smok TFV8 Baby Beast coil recommendations, please!

Tam

2 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

Honestly, I normally run the .15 ohm coils in my baby beasts at 75-85 watts, depending on the juice.  The vapor I get from that isn't as warm as the smoke from a cigarette (to me).

Seriously, I know I'm doing something wrong, probably something really minor, but I just can't figure out what it is. Argh!

@Tam

Just a thought... but I know when I vape at 1.2 I take longer slower draw than I do at 0.15. Maybe you're taking too long a draw like you smoked an analog. My sweet spot is +/- 30W.  I know I shortened up my draw  (inhale) time when I switched to a lower ohm coil. I also use a 3mg 70vg/30pg juice but lately I have been leaning to a 80/20 mix because it's smoother. My baby beast is in a box somewhere in this mess so I can't say much more. Sorry.

10 hours ago, Tam said:

Okay, so I've heard both you and @Earthling789 tell me that subohm coils and high watts do not necessarily have to mean hot and harsh vapor. I'm using the Q2 coil and have tried everything from 20W to 50W. The higher the watts, the hotter and harsher the vapor. Yes, the airflow is wide open -- so much so that I can see through to the other side. What am I doing wrong?  :persevere:

First of all... WOW TAM!  You pulled the trigger on a Baby Beast!  Congrats!

Yes, there is a difference in heat produced from sub-ohm coils.  Honestly, If I'm going to go below 0.3 Ohms, I drop to 3mg Nicotine or less, and use Temp Control.  A 0.25 Ohm Kanthal coil is much hotter (to me) than a 0.2 Ohm SS coil at the same Wattage.  And some tanks I've used (The Arctic comes to mind) would set me on fire even at the low power of 16-20W using their 0.2 Ohm ceramic coil.  When all things are equal (type of col), lower Ohms and higher Wattage do tend to maintain the same vapor/heat sensation, although you do have to open the air and reduce your Nicotine because Nicotine absorbs faster as you lower resistance (heat it faster/hotter).  1.8 Ohm and 18mg Nicotine are virtually equal to 0.3 Ohm and 3mg... although to get the same vapor and heat, you do have to increase power to the lower Ohm coil... obviously :) Nicotine absorption and heat are not exactly linear progressions, but they are close enough for gov't work ;p 

I don't have a Baby Beast (yet), so I can't give better advice, but my first thoughts are the usual... longer drip tip, lower Nicotine, higher VG, more air, slower/faster draw... and the best advice is to use TC!  Dialing down the temperature is a real key for me when using the Subtank Minis.  When I'm using 0.15 Ni200 coils, I can crank up the heat to 500F (prefer around 450F), but when I use 0.2 Ohm SS coils, I find the exact same heat and vapor can be achieved at 380F.  I've wrapped my own SS coils at 0.15 Ohm and can push those above 400F, but not much more before it feels like I'm drinking scalding hot tea :)  If your mod has TCR mode, you can use TC with almost any coil.  What type of wire are the Q2 coils made from?

11 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

First of all... WOW TAM!  You pulled the trigger on a Baby Beast!  Congrats!

Yes, there is a difference in heat produced from sub-ohm coils.  Honestly, If I'm going to go below 0.3 Ohms, I drop to 3mg Nicotine or less, and use Temp Control.  A 0.25 Ohm Kanthal coil is much hotter (to me) than a 0.2 Ohm SS coil at the same Wattage.  And some tanks I've used (The Arctic comes to mind) would set me on fire even at the low power of 16-20W using their 0.2 Ohm ceramic coil.  When all things are equal (type of col), lower Ohms and higher Wattage do tend to maintain the same vapor/heat sensation, although you do have to open the air and reduce your Nicotine because Nicotine absorbs faster as you lower resistance (heat it faster/hotter).  1.8 Ohm and 18mg Nicotine are virtually equal to 0.3 Ohm and 3mg... although to get the same vapor and heat, you do have to increase power to the lower Ohm coil... obviously :) Nicotine absorption and heat are not exactly linear progressions, but they are close enough for gov't work ;p 

I don't have a Baby Beast (yet), so I can't give better advice, but my first thoughts are the usual... longer drip tip, lower Nicotine, higher VG, more air, slower/faster draw... and the best advice is to use TC!  Dialing down the temperature is a real key for me when using the Subtank Minis.  When I'm using 0.15 Ni200 coils, I can crank up the heat to 500F (prefer around 450F), but when I use 0.2 Ohm SS coils, I find the exact same heat and vapor can be achieved at 380F.  I've wrapped my own SS coils at 0.15 Ohm and can push those above 400F, but not much more before it feels like I'm drinking scalding hot tea :)  If your mod has TCR mode, you can use TC with almost any coil.  What type of wire are the Q2 coils made from?

I'm using the Baby Beast on an iPower 80W so it does have TC. I'm not certain but I think it's Kanthal (o.4 ohm V8 Q2 coils), if that helps. I so have some juice in 0 nic so I'll mix enough of that with the 3 mg to get to 1 mg of nic. I really want to like the Baby Beast but so far it's not working out for me. 

1 hour ago, Edna said:

@Tam

Just a thought... but I know when I vape at 1.2 I take longer slower draw than I do at 0.15. Maybe you're taking too long a draw like you smoked an analog. My sweet spot is +/- 30W.  I know I shortened up my draw  (inhale) time when I switched to a lower ohm coil. I also use a 3mg 70vg/30pg juice but lately I have been leaning to a 80/20 mix because it's smoother. My baby beast is in a box somewhere in this mess so I can't say much more. Sorry.

Because the vapor is so hot I'm barely able to take a hit longer than a second or two max. I'm looking into adjusting my juice ratios now. Thanks for chiming in!  :) 

6 hours ago, Bebop said:

I do what Walt does.  I use a wide bore tip and I don't get my lips or tongue in front of the vapor.  I bite the tip and get my tongue out of the way hehe....

That helps, thanks @Bebop and @Walt. So far from what I've experienced, this tank doesn't seem suited for MTL style of vaping.

24 minutes ago, Tam said:

That helps, thanks @Bebop and @Walt. So far from what I've experienced, this tank doesn't seem suited for MTL style of vaping.

You got that right.  Not Suited for MTL Vaping, IMHO.  I would not attempt it with any coil under .4Ω.  Should come with a warning "DTL Only".

For a long time I used a 30PG/70VG mix, after awhile that seemed to get harsh, and hot.

Recently I have been using a 20%PG/70%VG/10%distilled water, and the vape is not harsh or hot anymore, distilled water will make the juice thinner it has a consistency of a 50/50 mix. Also adding water to the mix lowers the temp needed to vaporize the juice, and makes the vape cooler, kind of like when you add water to antifreeze, it lowers the boiling point. Adding water will also reduce the watts needed to vaporize the juice.

I'm not saying everyone should add water to their juice, just saying what worked for me, some people like a harsh vape with a lot of throat hit, but not me.

8 hours ago, FXRich said:

For a long time I used a 30PG/70VG mix, after awhile that seemed to get harsh, and hot.

Recently I have been using a 20%PG/70%VG/10%distilled water, and the vape is not harsh or hot anymore, distilled water will make the juice thinner it has a consistency of a 50/50 mix. Also adding water to the mix lowers the temp needed to vaporize the juice, and makes the vape cooler, kind of like when you add water to antifreeze, it lowers the boiling point. Adding water will also reduce the watts needed to vaporize the juice.

I'm not saying everyone should add water to their juice, just saying what worked for me, some people like a harsh vape with a lot of throat hit, but not me.

Thanks for the tip, @FXRich. Funny, when I first started vaping I used to water down a juice that was too thick for the wicks in a T2 tank. Will give that a try.  :relaxed: 

31 minutes ago, FXRich said:

@Tam Let me know how that works out for you, just because it works for me don't mean it will work for someone else.

We all have different tastes.

That seems to have cooled the vapor down a bit. Still need to figure out how to make it work for me by tweaking it some more. Thanks for the tip!  :relaxed: 

@Tam  Ya know Tam......  Really sounds like you could be a good candidate for temp control.  With the RBA head and a little stainless wire you could do that.  Right now I'm vaping on a Pharaoh with a SS dual core clapton with temp control and getting a great vape.  Really good fog, Great flavor.  I can draw as much or as little as I like as it just doesn't get too hot.  

Just a thought.  

10 hours ago, Walt said:

@Tam  Ya know Tam......  Really sounds like you could be a good candidate for temp control.  With the RBA head and a little stainless wire you could do that.  Right now I'm vaping on a Pharaoh with a SS dual core clapton with temp control and getting a great vape.  Really good fog, Great flavor.  I can draw as much or as little as I like as it just doesn't get too hot.  

Just a thought.  

You're probably right, @Walt about the temp control, but I just can't be bothered to mess with RBA and RDAs these days. If I get an itch to play with some, though, Lord knows I have enough RDA, RBA, RDTA, RQEG, RGDS, etc. to work on, lol. Just need to put in an order for some stainless steel and I should be good to go.   :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Tam said:

I just can't be bothered to mess with RBA and RDAs these days.

I get that for sure.  I have quite a few things that I just don't care to take the time to do.  Some don't even make any sense.  I'm hopeless when it comes to playing with electricity/electronics.  Can't explain that either.  I love wrapping coils and mounting them.  I love playing around with them to see what differences can be made in a vape.  Temp control isn't the end all be all to vaping either.  Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.  Every mod or at least chip set/firmware handles it differently as well.  Maybe if temp control becomes more mainstream more premade coils will be made that will perform in temp control.  Who knows. 

If I had more time I might enjoy making coils again, but these days I'm still trying to get over a cold/flu/pneumonia that I had since December, helping to take care of SO's parents, cooking for the week on weekends, working a 50+ hour a week job, losing Saturdays to take puppy and SO to puppy school, and.... you get the picture. Not enough hours in a day and all I want is one or two things I don't have to mess with that... just work.  :hugging:

Tam,
I'm not a MTL vaper but I have 2 baby beasts so I thought I'd do a bit of experimenting.
If you use a 0.4 ohm coil, set your watts down to between 25 and 30 then all but close your air intake on the baby you can actually get a pretty decent MTL vape.

Hope that works for you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, gadget said:

Tam,
I'm not a MTL vaper but I have 2 baby beasts so I thought I'd do a bit of experimenting.
If you use a 0.4 ohm coil, set your watts down to between 25 and 30 then all but close your air intake on the baby you can actually get a pretty decent MTL vape.

Hope that works for you.

Thanks, @gadget. Once I get over the frustration I might give that a try. Will need to go look for the silly thing that I threw into the back yard in a fit first, though. Just kidding -- but it was a near thing!

Thanks, [mention=40616]gadget[/mention]. Once I get over the frustration I might give that a try. Will need to go look for the silly thing that I threw into the back yard in a fit first, though. Just kidding -- but it was a near thing!
@Tam,
Funny story...
I was out in my back yard just the other day and I found a complete Aspire tank just laying in the middle of my yard!
I brought it in the house and cleaned it up and the top was cross threaded. I cleaned the threads up and put it back together, filled it with juice and it worked perfectly.
The next day I went over to my neighbor (I figured it was his) and said, "look at this cool atomizer I found".
Turns out he came home from work and it had leaked all over in his car, he got mad and just threw it. Evidently one of my trees stopped it from reaching it's ill fated destination. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, gadget said:

@Tam,
Funny story...
I was out in my back yard just the other day and I found a complete Aspire tank just laying in the middle of my yard!

Just curious... which Aspire tank was this? And great story!  :)