temp control. lessons learned.

hicksvilleshick

So threw good money after bad trying to get temp control to work for me. I had honestly gave up. All the nickel premade coils for my triforce tanks were always wonky, to get them to even hit right I always had to adjust my tcr settings on my mods. My cuboid was the only one I could get the nickel coils to work with, without jakking the tcr, but I still was unimpressed.

I now know what the buzz was about. In my opinion, the only real use for temp control is when you're using a rda. Last Friday I picked up a 30mm (likely clone) cci centurion, Saturday I picked up some fancy fused clapton possibly staple coils. (I can't remember exactly other than they are made with stainless) and with my sample vapor talk black label juice, I decided to kick the rx 2/3 into temp control mode. NO MORE DRY HITS! In wattage mode when you get low on juice you'll cook your cotton and get the dreaded dry hit. In temp control, you won't do this as it senses the coil heating up too quickly and won't let it fully dry the cotton out. I'm sold on it now. I know not alot of folks here are rocking rda's, but I wasted alot of time and money on the temp control tank coils. I'm not saying without some work (finding the tcr settings to make it happy) it won't work, but what I've found is it's most effective and useful on rda's.

Any others with experience chime in, I'm down to learn more.

I have tried Ni200 coils, and Ti coils in tanks on my IPV4s. Using the start low and work up method, I did have some success with each. That is until I changed coils. No 2 coils of the same material acted any where near the same from coil to coil. Kanthal coils are slightly different coil to coil, but in a range of a watt or 2. With the Ni200 and Ti it was plus or minus 200 degrees from coil to coil. And yes I did lock in each new coil at room temp before firing. I have 2 boxes of Ni200 coils for subtanks in my drawer that I will probably never use. I do have a roll of SS 316L, build decks for the subtank and a new mod that does TC with SS, I might try it, but the SS is supposed to work great in Watt mode so I may just stick with that.

I don't have any drippers, and really have no interest, but I see your point about TC being helpful with them.

Agreed.  TC can be an awesome experience or it can be an absolutely frustrating experience.  I went the same route with Ni200 and Ti coils in my IPV4, both pre-made coils for tanks and DIY coils for my RDA's.  Ni200 was finicky because you need to many wraps to get a decent coil.  I quickly gave up on Ti due to the potential toxicity involved with overheating it.  SS has been awesome, though.  I use SS for my DIY coils and when I can get factory coils with SS, I'm getting those as well.  

I have never tried Ni200 coils for TC, but have tried Ti, SS316L is much better for TC. I use SS316 in my Subtank mini RBAs, and find it to be very consistent. I use 5 wraps of 28g SS316 with a 3mm ID, and get between .49 - .51 ohms. I have heard some mods handle SS better than other mods, but I only use Kanger TC mods so I can't compare to see if there are differences. I use the same TC setting on my 75w mods as I do on the 160w mods, and get the same vape.

Finally an active temp control thread.

I came back to vaping recently and with that excuse I brought a new tank - lemo 3.

I set the tank up with one of the stock coils the ecl ss316l (elongated wicking holes) and decided to try out temp control,
after a brief call to my technical wizard at vapetime uk who ran me through the menues on my Q-Class. . . . I was amazed

No harsh throat hit, totally smooth vape, huge clouds and AMAZING flavour!

After this I thought it must get better with an rda but instead of using my lemo 3, as I knew this setup was my new "go too"
I brought a wismec neutron and with some 26ga ss316l wire 9 wraps on 30mm came out at .29
I honestly could not tell much difference between the two, if anything I prefer my lemo.

Next is to try some ss claptons. . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Here's the fancy coil I've been rocking. This Saturday my local vape shop has a guy coming in that makes custom drip tips and soothe guy that builds wicked coils. I had planned on going in to get a drip tip or 2, but I think I'm going to have the coil guy make me a build.

And I might have to grab me another set of 14449034_10202082875508873_4988126971011these

11 minutes ago, cany said:

I use the RDA in my Subtank mini for TC it works great 5 wraps tempered NI wire

@cany

Hi, Do you prefer the NI to the SS for TC? I always thought SS was supposed to give better flavor. Though I haven't noticed a lot of difference in wattage mode. I was wondering if it makes a difference in TC.

1 minute ago, Edna said:

@cany

Hi, Do you prefer the NI to the SS for TC? I always thought SS was supposed to give better flavor. Though I haven't noticed a lot of difference in wattage mode. I was wondering if it makes a difference in TC.

@Edna I have never tried SS  with NI I get great flavor  so I never really had the need to try SS but Im sure someday I will try it

57 minutes ago, Edna said:

@cany

54 minutes ago, cany said:

@Edna I have never tried SS  with NI I get great flavor  so I never really had the need to try SS but Im sure someday I will try it

I've tried both and I my personal experience has been better flavor with SS.  The SS is also less of a PITA to work with than the Ni in my opinion.

Just now, cany said:

Im gonna have to pickup a SS TC mod and give it a shot

One of the beautiful things about SS...you don't need TC.  That's part of the reason I am switching over to it.  I can bounce between wattage and TC on a whim.  Almost all of my DIY coils these days are with SS.   Most of my tanks have SS coils available for them (or RBA decks).  I still have a lot of kanthal coils for various tanks, though.  No sense in just tossing them when they vape perfectly fine.

6 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

I've tried both and I my personal experience has been better flavor with SS.  The SS is also less of a PITA to work with than the Ni in my opinion.

I noticed that when winding coils the SS was easier to make nice coils for my RDTA's. I haven't tried TC but I'm thinking I'm going to start playing with it. Most of my mods handle SS in TC so it's an easy thing to try.

3 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

One of the beautiful things about SS...you don't need TC.  That's part of the reason I am switching over to it.  I can bounce between wattage and TC on a whim.  Almost all of my DIY coils these days are with SS.   Most of my tanks have SS coils available for them (or RBA decks).  I still have a lot of kanthal coils for various tanks, though.  No sense in just tossing them when they vape perfectly fine.

But you would need a SS TC mod too use SS in TC mode?? Im confused

4 minutes ago, Edna said:

I noticed that when winding coils the SS was easier to make nice coils for my RDTA's. I haven't tried TC but I'm thinking I'm going to start playing with it. Most of my mods handle SS in TC so it's an easy thing to try.

That's because the SS is slightly stiffer than kanthal.  Not much stiffer, and I really don't notice any difference in it, but the stiffer properties help it hold it's shape better than kanthal.

1 minute ago, cany said:

But you would need a SS TC mod too use SS in TC mode?? Im confused

Yes, you would need a SS TC mod to use SS in TC mode, but you can vape SS in wattage mode on a TC mod that doesn't have SS mode or even on a mod that doesn't have TC at all.

What TC mod or mods are you using @cany?

I'm kinda in the same boat, cany.  Our invader mini only does Ni and even my evic only does Ni and Ti but SS intrigues me because you don't have to do as low a build for TC.   I still have a lot of Ni wire to go thru, lol so I'm not in a rush.  But I'm ready to go for a new mod that does it all.  

I have always liked TC even though it's not totally even necessary in all uses.  I rarely do builds requiring over 30w unless I'm dripping on the RBA which is rare these days with the outstanding performance you get out of modern sub ohm tanks.  I pretty much get all the clouds and flavor I want on a 30w build.  After that it's all recreational and juice wasting lol. Which is fine but I'm not concerned with dry hits on a 100w build.  

4 hours ago, Christopher said:

Actually I'm trying to get these guys back in stock. I think the white one just sold. Our vendor should have some more shortly :)

@Christopher In this post you quoted Cany's post. Why is it not linking properly? See below where it says, "rel="external">

13 hours ago, cany said:

Im looking into the istick" rel="external">istick 80W  but VT only has white in stock and I cant do white lol@Christopher