Kanger Subtank mini vs Aspire Triton

Tam

Here are just a few lines of opinion from my experience with the Kanger Subtank mini and the Aspire Triton. I've been trying new tanks in hopes that I can find something that will replace my beloved but too damned expensive HH.357s.  :)

Both tanks were used on an Eleaf iStick 50W. The juice was my ADV EC Blends Feels Like a Nut, 3 mg nic, 40 PG/60 VG, extra sweetener.

From day one, I've only had about five minutes of joy from the Kanger subtank mini with a 1.5 ohm factory coil. No matter what I tried I couldn't get the airflow right, the vapor was still too hot for my preferences. The draw didn't agree with me when the flavor tasted right and I'd cough out a lung when the draw was right but the flavor wasn't there. There was also juice leaking from the air holes in the bottom no matter what I did. Went through several coils trying to see if I got a bad one or three... Tried all kinds of different configurations on the airflow and... I just didn't like it and couldn't get it to perform even after over a week of trying.

Constantly.

Got the Aspire Triton in today. Washed it out well, let it air dry through dinner. Put in the 1.8 ohm coil, set the airflow about half way, put juice in it -- I really like the top fill option (it's so handy!), let sit for a couple of minutes, set my iStick at 12.4 watts and... even with the stock humongous drip tip, the flavor I've been looking for that matched the HH.357 is there. The vapor is huge, and... it's what I've been searching for. I'm amazed it worked so well right out of the box with minimum fiddling. After the Subtank, I was expecting to have to dial it in and play with it before finding a setting I could live with but no, it's amazing!

I have the upper airflow control wide open, the lower at half way. Even with my slim stainless steel 3" drip tip (I prefer cooler vapor), it still works great and doesn't make me cough. The vapor is smoooooth, not harsh. I think I've found a keeper. Granted, I've only been vaping on this for the past 15 minutes or so but color me impressed! Oh, and I've been chain vaping and haven't gotten a dry hit yet. This thing is a juice hog but I'm okay with that.

For vapers like me who do mouth to lung, this is the perfect tank so far.  :D

Edited by Tam

Thank you Tam!

I have been holding off on this tank due to some less than favorable reviews.

I think I may have to pick one up, with an RBA.  If I can find one.

I was hoping to get the tank, RBA, and an ipv mini D2 all at the same time, to save some shipping.  It looks like this will not be possible.

Got mine from Kidney Puncher on pre-order and they shipped it out pretty quickly.

http://www.kidneypuncher.com/search.php?search_query=Triton&x=0&y=0

If you're up for a long review, check out Pbusardo's video, that's what got my attention and got me to try it. Some people may not like it (and I have only had mine for a little while so far), but I'm still liking it very well.  :)

My subtank mini might need to find a new home...

Nice comparison review Tam! I've been looking around at some different tanks, and this one is definitely now on my radar.

Thanks, Kev. It's not as detailed as some but it's from what I've experienced with the two tanks so far. At $22 for a box of 5 stock coils, it's not the least expensive but it's much cheaper to keep going than the HH.357s which cost around $20 bucks a piece and only lasts around two weeks (if I'm lucky) with my ADV. It's very sweet and dark, which are hell on coils.  :)

Congrats Tam!  I'm so glad you found one you like...  I knew you weren't too pleased with the subtank (despite many of us having good results with ours), but sounds like the Triton is making you a happy girl again :)

Congrats Tam!  I'm so glad you found one you like...  I knew you weren't too pleased with the subtank (despite many of us having good results with ours), but sounds like the Triton is making you a happy girl again :)

I really wanted to like the subtank and tried to find a way to make it work, it just wasn't cooperating.  :(

The next step is probably to get the build deck for this thing... or not. We'll see how long the coils last before my juice takes it down for the count.  :)

Haha, sounds like me and the Nautilus... I tried so hard to make it work and like it... but it just didn't cooperate :(

I didn't think the Triton had an RBA deck... but awesome if they do!

To me, the subtank was a little warm, too, with the 1.2 Ohm coils, but using the RBA deck (or 1.5 coils) @ 12.5W, setting mid-level airflow, and slip-streaming a little air on my lung-hits has made it almost as enjoyable as my Russians... almost!  I think a LOT of my heat issues is due to the incredibly short/wide drip-tips included with all these new sub-tanks?  I've popped on longer drip-tips and that seems to cool things down a bit.

Tried the 1.5 ohm coils, that helped a little but not by much. Thought it was just the crap coil that usually comes with the tank so I changed it out to another from a fresh 5-pack that I'd gotten when I ordered the tank I'm not as dumb as I look lol. Even after switching them out a couple of times, it still wouldn't cooperate. The last time I coughed this much was when I took the first draw from a CE4 in the B&M. Even the 3" stainless steel drip tip didn't help with the heat on the subtank. Not sure what more I could try but I just couldn't make the subtank work for me.  :(

The link I put up above? It's got a list of the Triton tank, the RBA deck, a pretty stainless replacement tank/sleeve, and coils. All pre-order but Kidney Puncher's getting them out fast!  :)

What I ended up doing was to use the RBA on the subtank and winding some flatwire and making a 1.8 coil, I'm a MTL person and with the air on the middle hole it seemed to be perfect for me. 

Thank you Tam!

I have been holding off on this tank due to some less than favorable reviews.

I think I may have to pick one up, with an RBA.  If I can find one.

I was hoping to get the tank, RBA, and an ipv mini D2 all at the same time, to save some shipping.  It looks like this will not be possible.

Should have asked before -- what less than favorable reviews? Just spent the last half an hour trying to figure out what I did wrong and how to fix it so the tank worked again. Turns out the coil that came with the tank isn't any good and didn't last long. Big surprise. Not. Thankfully, I'd bought 10 coils with it so I changed the coil. Still not vaping right, barely getting any vapor, no hit at all. Tried all sorts of different things, took it apart, put it back together... still nothing. Changed the coil again. That seemed to fix it. It's flooding a little now so I'll be playing around with it some more. Tomorrow.  :)

Should have asked before -- what less than favorable reviews? Just spent the last half an hour trying to figure out what I did wrong and how to fix it so the tank worked again. Turns out the coil that came with the tank isn't any good and didn't last long. Big surprise. Not. Thankfully, I'd bought 10 coils with it so I changed the coil. Still not vaping right, barely getting any vapor, no hit at all. Tried all sorts of different things, took it apart, put it back together... still nothing. Changed the coil again. That seemed to fix it. It's flooding a little now so I'll be playing around with it some more. Tomorrow.  :)

I watched Busardo's review the day he posted it, and nearly bought one on the spot.  Like normal, I went trolling the web in a couple of other (Brand X) forums. I think that most people were having trouble with the factory installed coil.

The RDA looks really cool on this. I really like the way the way the wire is captured with one leg going up and one going down. I have seen a guy on reddit that is building vertical coils that look good, but wicking may be a bit of trouble.

I think I am going to have trouble finding the "perfect" tank for me.  Nickel wire and my preferred vape style makes it difficult.  I am looking for a top fill, with a wide build deck, that isn' too tall (for flavor), with good wicking, single coil, big airflow, and a very solid base with good connections.  So far it has been elusive, The Project Subohm Saucecode is close, then the SubTank mini, and the OBS-VCT is in a distant third.

Got the Subtank mini.

As many of us found out with the KPT and Davide, the factory coil that's installed with nearly every tank... you can count on it to be total crap. Don't know why but in the past three years, just about every single factory installed coil -- and it doesn't matter what brand or model of tank it is -- is a piece of junk. Don't know why I thought this one would be any different, lol. Should have just taken it out and put it away in case of emergency like I did all the KPT coils in the past.  :D

Got the Subtank mini.

As many of us found out with the KPT and Davide, the factory coil that's installed with nearly every tank... you can count on it to be total crap. Don't know why but in the past three years, just about every single factory installed coil -- and it doesn't matter what brand or model of tank it is -- is a piece of junk. Don't know why I thought this one would be any different, lol. Should have just taken it out and put it away in case of emergency like I did all the KPT coils in the past.  :D

From what I can tell, the factory installed coils get infused with machine oil from setting in the tank/package... this is why they taste and function like they do.

I've been taking the factory-installed coils out and soaking them in Vodka for a couple of days, rinse in hot water, soak again in Vodka another day or two, letting the air-dry, and storing them for emergencies... when I have used them weeks later... they perform MUCH better!

From what I can tell, the factory installed coils get infused with machine oil from setting in the tank/package... this is why they taste and function like they do.

I've been taking the factory-installed coils out and soaking them in Vodka for a couple of days, rinse in hot water, soak again in Vodka another day or two, letting the air-dry, and storing them for emergencies... when I have used them weeks later... they perform MUCH better!

Good to know, Earthling. I just have a small but growing mountain of factory installed coils set aside for emergencies. Will soak a few and try that out.  :)

Was curious :( I was thinking of getting another subtank and wasnt sure which version of it I wanna get :D

Just get the Triton, Cany. After the hiccup with the factory installed coil, it's still working like a champ. I got so happy with it that I chain vaped until after 1 am this morning. The top fill option is almost the best part. lol 

Good to know, Earthling. I just have a small but growing mountain of factory installed coils set aside for emergencies. Will soak a few and try that out.  :)

Unless they are "dripping" with oil or damaged in some way... I've had great success in resurrecting "pre-installed" coils using that method.... probably 9 out of every 10 coils I've done this to have worked (and tasted better), just like the sealed coils from the blister-packs. :)

And... it stopped working again. It seems that every time I have to refill it, the tank stops working. After taking it apart and cleaning and putting back together and looking... I've noticed that the hole in the tank and the side hole in the atomizer for the juice don't line up. The hole in the atomizer/coil is higher than the one on the tank. This could explain why the coil doesn't seem to be getting any juice. I've tried four different coils and they all have the same problem. Thought it was the pack so I tried one from the second pack. Same result. Sent an email to Kidney Puncher to see if they have any suggestions but haven't heard back from them yet.

Earthling? We may not have found the RTA for me yet.  :)

It could be a glitch in the way the top fill works, I checked into the Triton before I decided on the subtank mini, I figured the way they cut off the juice flow to the coil while filling might get stuck sometime, or not switch properly thus cutting off flow to the coil. even though I don't have a triton could I suggest switching it back and forth a few times between vape and fill, it might help align the holes. 

It could be a glitch in the way the top fill works, I checked into the Triton before I decided on the subtank mini, I figured the way they cut off the juice flow to the coil while filling might get stuck sometime, or not switch properly thus cutting off flow to the coil. even though I don't have a triton could I suggest switching it back and forth a few times between vape and fill, it might help align the holes. 

Compenstine and Earthling and I were just on chat trying to troubleshoot the problem. We came to the decision that it's a stuck juice flow thing. I've not only tried switching it back and forth many times, I've had this tank apart as far as it can go more times than I can count. When it works, it's the best tank I've ever used but when it doesn't... I'm going to send it to Earthling to see what he can make of it. He says he has this BIG hammer...  :evil:

Thanks for trying! Appreciate the attempt.  :)

Just get the Triton, Cany. After the hiccup with the factory installed coil, it's still working like a champ. I got so happy with it that I chain vaped until after 1 am this morning. The top fill option is almost the best part. lol 

Maybe Ill hold off on the Triton lol

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines