CoilMaster 5-in-1 coil winding tool

The folks at Coil-Master.net were kind enough to send me one of their new coil winding tools for evaluation and review. 

I have no clue on the retail cost from online retailers, or if the V|T Store will carry them, but from the manufacturer, they're $25.99 (and they offer $5 coupons), so this 5-in-1 tool runs about the same price as ONE Kuro Koiler.

My first impression is that they are straight, smooth, and well-built tools.  The diameter of the coiler body is slightly smaller than a Kuro Koiler, but still easy to handle.  The mandrel diameters offered are 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm.  I have not verified the sizes with a micrometer, but I will (as soon as I get a chance).  It also comes with a decently-made pouch to carry/store the handle/mandrels in.

The finish and labeling seem to be well done, but there is a slight bur on the exit-side of the wire-hole (next to the mandrel).  It's not a bad bur, but a raised, rough spot where the hole was drilled.  It does not seem to affect the function, nor does it appear to nick the wire, but if it does, it's nothing that can't be fixed with about 2-seconds and a Dremel Tool.

I do wish the screws were a tiny bit easier to turn with your fingers, and the "typical blue" allen-head screwdriver is a bit cheezy, but functional.  I think a real, right-angle allen-wrench would have been more appropriate and easier to work with / manipulate.

I'll give it a thorough work-out this weekend, as I need to re-coil a few of my RTA's, and I need to rebuild a couple of KPT coil-heads, too.  More review to come....

2015-03-12%2016.18.51_zps4255adce.jpg

Yes, Tam... both the cap and the mandrel are marked with the size...  and each mandrel has it's own cap, as well as two screw-hole locations for thinner or thicker wires. 

The body holds each mandrel, and a cap holds the mandrel in place (all have the same size base).  The body-cap compresses the mandrel to hold it tight.  Then the top-cap spins on the mandrel to make the coil (like the Kuro Koiler and other similar designs).

I'm thinking about getting one of these sets too. I want to see if it will speed up my wrapping. I heard they don't work well with some twisted wires though. Like the Tiger twist... it sticks and jams a bit because on the uneven edges.

Like these:

From Left to Right

4 strands of 32ga twisted

1 strand .09 flat twisted

4 strands of 32ga and .9 flat twisted

2 strands of .9 flat twisted

post-1116-0-91009200-1426304501_thumb.jp

I've made several coils today with my Coil-Master tool...

At first, I wasn't very impressed... my first two coils (one with 26ga, one with 30ga) were not even... the wire actually wanted to stack and slip as each turn was made.  The heads on the screws are not tall/high enough to really capture the wire...either that, or the bevel that catches the wire is not deep enough?

Anyway, I figured that if you leave the wire coming out of the hole "as-is", and not trying to "start" the first turn like on the Kuro Koiler, it makes a MUCH better coil.  The coils are comparable to the Kuro Koiler.  Smooth, tight, and even.

I tried 2-strand, twisted 32ga, 2-strand twisted 30ga, 4-strand twisted 32ga, and of course, single-strand 32, 30, 28, and 26ga wires.

Making a twisted 4-strand coil on the 1mm mandrel was "interesting" to say the least :)  But it was possible by going slow.

The design concept of interchangeable rods (with their own cap) is a brilliant idea, and they have designed that concept well.  I found the 3mm, 2.5mm, and 2.0mm rods were best suited for my needs, and using the 1.5mm rod made it VERY easy to build a KPT coil.  I think with the 1.0mm rod, you could easily rebuild Kanger BDC (dual coils)?

What I think they could to better...

Slightly larger body would make it easier to grip.  OR, perhaps knurling on the body and cap?

Identify the size of the cap on the side, as well as, or instead of the top of the cap?  Also make the printing more bold?

Perhaps offering a 3.5mm and a 4mm rod as well?

Slightly taller screw-heads, or increase the bevel to better grab the larger wires?

For the price of this tool, I highly recommend it over the Kuro Koiler set ($60).  It functions just as well, and offers two additional sizes for one price! 

Thanks for the great review!  I bought the knock off version from Fast Tech... wasted money.  It will make coils, kinda.  It has round head screws that the wire constantly slips off of. 

I think your suggestions are great, but would like to add another.  I wish the pin and top cap were longer too.  I use the tool I build the coils to position the coil in the RBA and straighten it when it is tight.  It is a little short to do this on some of my atomizers.

Thanks for the great review!  I bought the knock off version from Fast Tech... wasted money.  It will make coils, kinda.  It has round head screws that the wire constantly slips off of. 

I think your suggestions are great, but would like to add another.  I wish the pin and top cap were longer too.  I use the tool I build the coils to position the coil in the RBA and straighten it when it is tight.  It is a little short to do this on some of my atomizers.

Excellent point Jason... I did notice that they seemed a bit too short.  The Kuro Koiler rods are MUCH longer because you gain the length that sits down in the main body.  The Coil-master rods are basically what-you-see-is-what-you-get in length... I see how with some RDA's it might be difficult to tweak a long coil or work around a deep well.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines