Addictives Other Than Nicotine

Breal

I posted this on another thread, but I felt it needed its own topic. It's been 2 months that I've quit analogs and now that I've gotten the nicotine dosage correct, I still feel like I'm withdrawing. I know it's not the nicotine, and someone referred to there being other chemicals with addictive qualities in cigarettes, perhaps even different ones in different brands. I did some research couldn't find much on it other than a thread on another site talking about it and how, due to these other addictive chemicals, there are setbacks after 2 months, 4 months, 9 months, 1 and a half years, and 10 years. Apparently, it was on some news program years ago. There's so little information, it's frustrating.

Has anyone ever heard of this or experienced extended withdrawals after having quit? Of course, the nicotine is the most addictive, and with e-cigs that pretty much takes care of that. Did anyone feel like they were withdrawing even after they began e-cigs?

i only had withdrawal happen for the first month of vaping but nothing too serious, just an urge every now and then to want to feel the strong throat hit and feeling of a cigarette, its gone now though. I actually weened myself from 24mg nicotine levels down to 12-18g so far. I've been vaping for 3-4months as of now. The only time I really feel the urge to smoke a cigarette is when i drink alcohol, it might have to do with something psychological im not sure.

Honestly, There are so many additives to cigarettes and they don't even really have to disclosed them. Nicotine is addictive, but its about as addictive as caffeine when by itself. When combined with the other ingredients in tobacco products the stimulant effect is increased. Vaping does not have the same stimulant effect and that is probably what your body is missing.

Not much help, I know....but the tobacco companies keep information pretty secret.

From what I heard which I think is incorrect is that everything in tobacco is natural. So then tell me this how does polonium get in there did the ancients before any of us existed have a nuclear war that seems to have polonium in the ground when its half life is 140 days? If I can find where I heard the stuff in the cigarettes are natural I will be sure to post it.

http://abcnews.go.co...63#.TzgTf1xSRv0 it says it is in the soil they grow tobacco on so polonium is supposedly natural doesn't make since to me how can polonium stay in the soil for so long? Here is a complete list of what is in a cigarette just so you know what is not in a ecig: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sci_tech/features/health/tobaccotrial/inacigarette599.htm Edited by willmon22

Ok. That was very informative (and disturbing). I had NO idea. It makes me wonder what else tobacco companies are hiding.

So, I ask you. Will these 'withdrawal' symptoms go away? Or, is the nicotine I get from Vaping merely prolonging the process? I know I'm getting enough nicotine, sometimes too much. Is my body simply looking for those 'extra' chemicals to interact with the nicotine (which may be why I know I'm taking in too much)?

the withdrawals will go away, typically it only takes your body a few days to get over the physical addiction to a drug, however mental "cravings" can last for awhile after the physical dependence is gone.

coffee.. lol! Ya, definitely going to do that. Great idea. Love caffeine. I think running would help, too. I think I'll renew my subscription to the gym. As for "a few days" though? I would have thought so, too. But, I guess not in my case.

i been vaping almost 5 months now and the cravings will be there I know it Hell i smoked 2 pad for 20 years. so i kinda expect em, I smell them I want em, but I stay away .

i been vaping almost 5 months now and the cravings will be there I know it Hell i smoked 2 pad for 20 years. so i kinda expect em, I smell them I want em, but I stay away .

Thanks, mega. The more I learn, the greater my resolve to stay away. I'm really grateful for this site.

I've been analog free for only 3 weeks, but could not have made it this far without vaping.I stop and think, hell I invested 50 years on maintaining that nasty habit,I can overcome a few witthdrawl pains to stay smoke free!

now that I've gotten the nicotine dosage correct, I still feel like I'm withdrawing.

Maybe revisit this issue of dosage again. If you dropped off too quickly from say 24mg to 12mg.

it might be time to bump up to 18mg. This is an experiment with most of us...key is to

enjoy the process.

I'm having a sore throat issue and try to drink water, but haven’t found my sweet spot yet in this experience.

I am OFF analogs however...and in the end for me, that's all that matters.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Edited by pocketplayer

Yes, I started at 6 mg, thinking I was going to be brave. Finally, I bought 24 mg and 18 mg, which is where I should have been. I think I'll stay on those dosages a while until I can just remain on the 18 mg. After some time, I'll revisit the issue.

And, I drink a lot of water now, as well. Lemon water, actually. Lemon and ginger are supposed to help with the withdrawals, someone told me that, and it helps. I won't go back. I can't go back. Stay strong everyone.

I haven't found my sweet spot, either, but I know I will.

@ bear.. I've been analog free for only 3 weeks, but could not have made it this far without vaping.I stop and think, hell I invested 50 years on maintaining that nasty habit,I can overcome a few witthdrawl pains to stay smoke free!

Fifty years is a long time. I can just imagine how happy your family is and how proud of yourself you must be. It's a wonderful thing that you've quit. Stay strong. We are all joining you in this fight, I'm sure. Thank you all for joining me in mine.

"....a few withdrawal pains", I like that. I can do this!

It might be helpful if you describe your withdrawals. May help. For example, does something feel wrong when you are vaping?

You might not think about it, but the action of flicking an ash off a cigarette can create a Pavlovian response. Your body starts to associate that action with the intake of nicotine, and when you are vaping, you don't have that. You are getting the drug, but the ritual aspect is gone, and it feels somehow wrong to you.

Or are you having a more physical response?

You might not think about it, but the action of flicking an ash off a cigarette can create a Pavlovian response.

No, I'm very glad to be rid of the ashtrays. There is nothing I miss about lighting or flicking. The withdrawals come in waves. It's like my body is missing something which nicotine does not completely satisfy. I'm sure it will pass. It's good to be aware of the markers, however--those at 2 months, 4 months, 9 months, 18 months, and, at last, 10 years. I hit the 2 month mark.

But, thank you. I've read on the psychological addiction we must all feel upon quitting analogs; for this, I'm grateful for e-cigs which make a safer substitute.

Edited by Breal

again lots of coffee and a juice that is close to what ya used to smoke. its what keeps me offf em.

Yes. Have increased my intake of coffee (amazing how much that helps), yesterday, and am actively searching for the right juice. Thank you, mega.

After 30 years of smoking, 1 1/2 packs/day. I have been cigarette free for 997 days. After the first couple months I stopped missing smoking, especially after I actually tried one and almost threw up....what I had once thought I couldn't live without had become the most disgusting thing I had ever inhaled.

What I can't figure....In the past (prior to vaping), when I would quit and then When I finally caved and had a cigarette...it was the most amazing thing in the world. After vaping I can't stand the taste.

Currently, I don't think I could go back to smoking if I wanted to.

After 30 years of smoking, 1 1/2 packs/day. I have been cigarette free for 997 days. After the first couple months I stopped missing smoking, especially after I actually tried one and almost threw up....what I had once thought I couldn't live without had become the most disgusting thing I had ever inhaled.

What I can't figure....In the past (prior to vaping), when I would quit and then When I finally caved and had a cigarette...it was the most amazing thing in the world. After vaping I can't stand the taste.

Currently, I don't think I could go back to smoking if I wanted to.

Wow. I love that you count the days! I know what you mean about quitting and then starting up again, how great it is. I had a similar experience when I started Vaping. The e-cig I purchased did not fit my needs (batteries not powerful enough), so I had to do both, Vape and Smoke. I completely lost my love for smoking within that week. I was ruined forever, or should I say, Saved.

I "think" that if I tried it now it will be that great experience of quitting and 'finally going back to old faithful' The Peace. But, I absolutely know that will never happen. I can't smoke anymore. It won't ever be the same. Thank goodness.