RTA Tank suggestions wanted Please

Edna

Hi All,

I've decided to get a couple of RTA's and have been looking at the Bellus and Griffin. I've bought an ohm meter and a coil master build tool kit (arriving Tuesday) But before I buy RTA's I wanted some input. I know the coil ohm rating and wire type makes a difference in type of vape experiences so I thought I'd tell you all my preferences and you all could give me ideas...Help PLEASE!

I like a cool temp and flavorful vape.

I'm a direct to lung type and like medium to higher air flow.

Thanks all! (I hope that's enough to go on)

Also, I have a pico 75w and an istick 40w (both TC and VW) mods should I be looking for a different mod too?

I also have a Kangertech dripbox that I'm playing with but I can buy prebuilt decks cheap at fasttech and I'm saving the decks so I can build on them too.

Edited by Edna

@Earthling789 @jasonculp @cany @Compenstine @Bebop

Hopefully, the guys above will wake up soon and chime in with their recommendations as well.  :D 

Earthling789 talked me into buying a Russian 91% version 2  https://www.mtbakervapor.com/tanks/the-russian-91-v2/

and I couldn't be happier with that. It's easy to build on, and it just... works. The Kanger Subtank, while it takes prebuilt coils, it also has a build your own option that comes with the kit.

Personally, I'm stuck on my Aspire Triton version 2. It also takes prebuilt coils, but you can buy a build deck for it for around $5 that comes with everything you need to get you started. So far, I've not tried building my own on it because the premade coils are very reasonable and I've stock piled a whole bunch of them. Some people complain that the coils don't last long, but I've been using them for well over a week to two weeks or more with no problem. This tank is also good for mouth to lung as well as direct to lung vapers.

9 minutes ago, Tam said:

@Earthling789 @jasonculp @cany @Compenstine @Bebop

Hopefully, the guys above will wake up soon and chime in with their recommendations as well.  :D 

Earthling789 talked me into buying a Russian 91% version 2  https://www.mtbakervapor.com/tanks/the-russian-91-v2/

and I couldn't be happier with that. It's easy to build on, and it just... works. The Kanger Subtank, while it takes prebuilt coils, it also has a build your own option that comes with the kit.

Personally, I'm stuck on my Aspire Triton version 2. It also takes prebuilt coils, but you can buy a build deck for it for around $5 that comes with everything you need to get you started. So far, I've not tried building my own on it because the premade coils are very reasonable and I've stock piled a whole bunch of them. Some people complain that the coils don't last long, but I've been using them for well over a week to two weeks or more with no problem. This tank is also good for mouth to lung as well as direct to lung vapers.

That Russian look cool but if I got that I'd blow a lot of my budget ;(

Where do you get premade coils? I'm trying to stock up before the deeming takes place Aug.1.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited by Edna

Love my kanger subtank  just ordered a few more for stock. I use the RTA  for NI builds only which is a bit tricky until you get used to it the spacing needed in the coil for NI makes it real tight to build on I would think its a lot easier to use regular wire to build on someday Ill give it a shot

I like Kanger :) I have a Dripbox that I'm playing with but I don't carry it around (I'm scared it'll leak) I just ordered a coil master set and I'm trying to figure out what wire and such I need and what tanks will work for a noobie at these things...I also got a ohm checker too.

The coil master set is great it comes with everything you need even a small spool of wire and cotton . I personally use Cotton-Bacon for my cotton. Im no good with OHMs law and figuring out builds, I usually ask someone for help as too what I should build for what Im looking for @Earthling789 then I just stick with that build

8 minutes ago, Edna said:

That Russian look cool but if I got that I'd blow a lot of my budget ;(

Where do you get premade coils? I'm trying to stock up before the deeming takes place Aug.1.

Thanks so much for your help!

It depends on what you want. The premade coils I'm talking about for the Triton and Kanger Subtank are available where I bought the tanks. The Triton I get from Mt. Baker Vaper and the Subtank I got at our own Vapor Talk store.

You can also buy premade coils that are just wire at places like Fasttech (it could take a loooong time to get these) or places like Avid Vaper

http://www.avidvaper.com/rebuildable-atomizer-coils-with-non-resistance-leads/

I used to spend so much money there. You'll get excellent customer service and even better quality products.  :)

4 minutes ago, Tam said:

It depends on what you want. The premade coils I'm talking about for the Triton and Kanger Subtank are available where I bought the tanks. The Triton I get from Mt. Baker Vaper and the Subtank I got at our own Vapor Talk store.

You can also buy premade coils that are just wire at places like Fasttech (it could take a loooong time to get these) or places like Avid Vaper

I used to spend so much money there. You'll get excellent customer service and even better quality products.  :)

That's what I'm trying to figure out :wacko: I'm going to look at the subtank since a lot of forum members here seem to really like it...Thanks again

1 minute ago, Edna said:

That's what I'm trying to figure out :wacko: I'm going to look at the subtank since a lot of forum members here seem to really like it...Thanks again

The subtank is very versatile. You can buy premade coils so it's plug and play or you can build your own. The only thing that I didn't care for, and it's a purely personal preference and nothing to do with the tank itself, is that they don't offer 1.8 ohm premade coils, which is my preference. The 1.5 ohm premade coils run a little warmer than I like. I've built my own coils for it but find it's a pain when I don't have the patience for it. It's also bottom fill, which is fine but I've come to like being able to fill from the top without having to take the whole tank off the battery. The Triton has the 1.8 ohm premade coil so that's my go-to, it's also top fill.

My eleaf melo III tank is top fill and I do prefer it to my ijust 2 which is bottom filled so I know what you mean.

I guess my goal is to one and most importantly cut costs and two beat the deeming and get a stocked up before we can't get what we need easily. Since I'm new(er) to vaping I've been taking your advice to have back ups to heart and going as quickly as budget allows but now I think I better break out the credit card so I'm not left in a bad position. I just want to make smart decisions and not get things I won't be happy with or are not good quality.

27 minutes ago, Tam said:

Oh No.... that website could be dangerous to my wallet !

In my opinion, your best bet is to first find out what you like. Then, begin the stock pile if that's what you want to do. I've got three (or was it four) Russian 91% for "just in case" as well as four buildable decks for the Triton. I'm buying 1.8 ohm coils in 10 box batches as my wallet will allow and keeping those on hand. Should be good for some time.  :) 

The Subtank mini is available in a top fill version, its called the top tank. As far as wire goes Kanthal is a good choice for power mode, I personally prefer the 28g Kanthal, but other people have different preferences. In TC mode I use SS 316L but not all mods support SS. I find SS is the easiest to work with. I also use SS in power mode. Wicking materials are another story, In the Subtank RBA I use cotton, but in the Kanger horizontal coils that I rebuild I use Rayon, I tried the cotton, but had some wicking problems when chain vaping, the Rayon seems to wick better in those coils. Vaping is not a one size fits all, you will eventually settle on what's best for you.

@FXRich

Thanks! I was looking at Nichrome prebuilt coils in 0.2ohm for my dripbox builds because that's what's on the decks that it came with. I know my istick pico and TC 40w have settings for a lot of different wire types and I can use SS on them. Is one brand of wires better than others? I'm looking on amazon and there's tons of different name brands.

Thanks for all your help

I get my wire from Slowtech, I was getting it from LV but found the wire from China to work just as good, besides I think LV gets their wire from China anyway.

2 minutes ago, Edna said:

Thanks all... but what brand is good?

They are all about the same, some are more expensive than others, but I don't find much difference.

4 minutes ago, Edna said:

Now what gauge? I was thinking 26 not too big not too small

I have 24g 26g 28g 30g and 32g, it all depends on what resistance you want. I like to use 5 - 7 wraps so I choose a wire that will give the ohms I want. I have settled on 28g for the most part. 

5 minutes ago, FXRich said:

I have 24g 26g 28g 30g and 32g, it all depends on what resistance you want. I like to use 5 - 7 wraps so I choose a wire that will give the ohms I want. I have settled on 28g for the most part. 

Ok I guess when my build kit gets here I'll have to play with it to figure it all out. Thanks again!