Sub ohming tanks getting burning hot

cany

Three of my stock coil sub ohm tanks get burning hot if I chain vape them, all running .5 coil about 26-28 watts the only one that doesent get is my subtank mini  the hot ones all wide open air flow and all used on the Istick 50w Am I doing something wrong If I turn down the watts I get a crap vape

Maybe its the location of the coil, might be too close to the side of the tank. maybe not enough room under or above the coil. maybe the leads are too long, and are getting hot. Could be lots of reasons.

The subtank mini has a vertical coil, maybe the air going through the middle of the coil keeps it cooler.

Edited by FXRich

Maybe its the location of the coil, might be too close to the side of the tank. maybe not enough room under or above the coil. maybe the leads are too long, and are getting hot. Could be lots of reasons.

Yes but with 3 different tanks/coils?

Just a thought but have you tried one of the others on the subox mini, shouldn't make any difference but stranger things have happened.

Another thought, the factory .5 coil in the subtank uses 27g wire (I pulled one apart and measured it) the advertised .5 coil in the triton uses 24g wire, 27g will cool faster than 24g, maybe when you chain vape the 24g isn't cooling enough between draws.

Another thing the Triton coils with the exception of the 1.8 are made with 316L stainless steel, don't know how well they hold heat.

Edited by FXRich

Just a thought but have you tried one of the others on the subox mini, shouldn't make any difference but stranger things have happened.

Another thought, the factory .5 coil in the subtank uses 27g wire (I pulled one apart and measured it) the advertised .5 coil in the triton uses 24g wire, 27g will cool faster than 24g, maybe when you chain vape the 24g isn't cooling enough between draws.

Another thing the Triton coils with the exception of the 1.8 are made with 316L stainless steel, don't know how well they hold heat.

I havent tried them on the subox mini but I will :)  I was wondering if the Istick50 had anything to do with it :)

I was doing some research on using 316L stainless for coils and some people on other forums say you can use it with the DNA200 TC mod in temp control, I don't use TC but found it interesting.

I don't know if you remember, but GPlat wire was all the rage with cloud chasers.  It didn't take long until someone had it tested by a metallurgist and it turned out to be 317L/316L stainless welding wire...

I do have some 316L welding wire for tig welding, I think its different than for mig welding, I'll have to measure it to see what size it is but I think its too big for a coil. I might experiment with it a little. The aspire website say they use 316 surgical grade in their triton coils.

I do have some 316L welding wire for tig welding, I think its different than for mig welding, I'll have to measure it to see what size it is but I think its too big for a coil. I might experiment with it a little. The aspire website say they use 316 surgical grade in their triton coils.

There are so many wires out now, I can't keep them straight.

There is the SS stuff, I, like you, would stick to surgical grade (personally)

Kanthal, Nichrome (various grades)...etc

Now with Temp control, especially with the DNA200, and the mods that will allow you to adjust the coefficient of resistance, it has really opened the door to many other types of wire.  SS317L is being tested, along with Titanium grade 1, Ni 200, Resistherm (NiFe30).

I have only used Nichrome, Kanthal, Ni200 and Ti01.  So far the only ones I like the flavor of is Kanthal, and Ni200.

I did find some 28g 416L medical grade SS on the net made in USA, but its $46 for a 1 pound spool (about 1500 feet). Don't know if I would want heavier than 28g but that much would last me forever. I'll have to think about it. Hoped I could find a smaller spool.

I did find some 28g 416L medical grade SS on the net made in USA, but its $46 for a 1 pound spool (about 1500 feet). Don't know if I would want heavier than 28g but that much would last me forever. I'll have to think about it. Hoped I could find a smaller spool.

It would be nice if you could find a small quantity just to try!

I'll just toss in my 2 cents worth.

prob has nothing to do with the iStick 50.  Most likely it has to do with the design.  I'm not familiar with all those tanks but when you're talking about heat, you're talking about heat transfer.  So, proximity of the coil to the posts, size of the chamber, heat sink properties of the coil housing, insulator thickness, length of coil legs - there are quite a few factors involved.  The design differences could be pretty small but could still add up to higher heat transfer, enough to cause a significant difference between tanks. Especially when you chain vape.  Coils retain a lot of heat. When you chain vape, the heat convection just carries on and builds up. 

Frankly, I don't know how you get 28 watts on a .5 coil. I burn up a .5 pretty fast over 25w. Sweet spot for me is like 18 - 22, something like that. 28w is pretty hot to begin with.