Old Fashioned

Now that summer is heading our way and with the success of " Mad Men ", some of the older cocktails
are being discussed more it seems.

Being just a tad bit old, the Old Fashioned was introduced to me some
40 years ago when I was a 'Bar Back' as a part-time job.

The Bartender ( a professional who wore a vest, not just someone
waiting for another job to open up for them...)
showed me why you had to use a sugar cube, bitters and how to muddle.

Still one of the best drinks to enjoy on a nice summer evening.

A while back, discovered using caramelized sugar and this makes for a nice change of pace. ( kind of like coil building, you make your own syrup )

Anyone else enjoy a Manhattan, Old Fashioned, Rob Roy, Martini, etc.?

Boy, that takes me back. I used to be a bartender at an upscale (for this town) restaurant a long age ago where these drinks weren't uncommon.

My favorite was a dry Gibson. Put a little Vermouth into Martini glass, swirl it around to coat the glass, snap it at the sink to get the rest of the Vermouth out. Pour some Tanqueray over ice, swirl gently, strain into glass. Add cocktail onions instead of olives. It's only 10 a.m. and now you've got me wanting one.  :)

That's one I haven't thought of for a while, ah...Vermouth

I kind of woke up thinking about some old stuff in my life, and this just slide in.  

Also, was having dinner the other night and happened to notice a young bartender searching franticly in a Mr. Boston for a drink recipe.

Almost went over to help, but got "The Look" from SWMBO.

And...of all the things that makes me really want a cig, it's a well made cocktail. 

But, I have fought off the urge so far.

Tam and I have a lot in common apparently... I bar-tended in college, and even took the classes to be a "Mixologist" back in the late '90s... because I wanted to bar-tend on the weekends to pick up some extra cash, and the only bar-tenders anyone would hire were 'licensed' or 'slutty'... and I didn't fit the latter :D

One of my favorite drinks to make (and made me a lot of tips) was the Tequila-Sunset (or sunrise)... Basically, you mix a screwdriver but substitute Tequila instead of Vodka... leave 1/4-1/2" of the glass empty, then slow-pour Blackberry Brandy into the center of the glass until full (use Grenadine or Cherry Brandy for a 'Sunrise').  The Brandy is heavier, and will go to the bottom of the glass and "explode" through the OJ and ice, making a beautiful purple/orange or red/orange sunset/sunrise color-swirl... and it tastes pretty good too :)

I've also layered enough Rattlesnake-shots to fill a tanker-truck... I use to pop a huge cherry into the top of the tall shot-glasses, and it makes the alcohol dribble slowly down the sides of the glass (you can also use the back of a spoon, but the cherry has more eye-appeal)... making them easier to layer the different viscosity alcohols.  Leave the cherry on the top, and enjoy the tips!  Also, by leaving the cherry in the shot-glass, you use less alcohol, so you maximize profits...

Personally, I enjoy Bourbon or Scotch straight... and most any mixed drink with Vodka...