Pretty much sums it up

Yep, I agree... it's hard to defend vaping as a smoking cessation tool that is safer and healthier than smoking... when two people behind you have just "fogged-out" the entire crowd with a couple of hits of 100%VG in their $500 rigs :(

I, too, despise going into some vape shops in the local area... I feel like I'm entering a seedy "adult bookstore"... dark, loud music, no windows (or blacked-out windows), and when you open the door, the vape-cloud rolls out like you're entering a haunted-house....

Honestly, after my last issue with a "good" vape-shop getting mad at me because I knew the difference between a KFL+ and a (mythical) Russian 91%... I've not stepped foot in a shop for myself; however, I did take a noob co-worker to one last month, because she needed help selecting juice, "today".

Great article. I totally agree with you Earthling. I also despise going into my local vape store. Its always so foggy and I find it slightly sickening to my stomach. Add to the fact that the owners/workers make me feel like I'm an outsider not a part of their special club, it might not be true but its the way they present themselves and make me feel. I'll just stick to buying online.

Still have yet to spend a dime in a vape shop and a good friend owns one but they have what I have termed "Fogger games" and as I have told him I will not support a shop that does that.

He is however the one that shared this article with me on Facebook so hopefully they will revoncentrate their focus to vaping as a smoking cessation technique not a sport!

Sad to say, of the 7 legit vape shops all within reasonable distance from me, only 2 stand out from the crowd. 1 is a juice and gear only shop - there's no cloud blowing at all and it's pretty much business only with people trying flavors and picking up gear. The other is all that plus the "cloud bar" is in the back, away from the register and normal transactions. In both places i am greeted warmly and professionally with no condescension at all. They are the models of a great B & M.

The other 5 are a mess. Ill informed workers more interested in sucking on their own rig, messy, unorganized "we're out of that" with complimentary cloud blowing...

Edited by Bebop

Again I'll have to be the odd man out.  Maybe that wouldn't last long, but somehow I get a little thrill thinking about going into a sort of forbidden zone.  Makes me feel young?  I remember Dee's Pizza which was a forbidden fruit when I was a kid.  It was an after school hangout where you could play pinball and buy pizza and cokes and wonder of wonders smoke!  No one questioned your age, and of course the cigs you were buying were for your father.  I remember those times fondly and can still if I close my eyes hear the jukebox playing 'Snoopy VS The Red Baron' by the Royal Guardsmen and 'Silence is Golden' by the Tremeloes!  I've always kinda liked projecting the bad boy image of James Dean whilst actually inside being a good boy.  But now in my elder years, I'm sure that fogged filled shop would get old pretty quickly.  I'm happy to give up that fantasy in favour of the real purpose of vaping. I know it's saved my life, and two years into it I sure don't want to lose it to government idiots.  I don't want to be shoved into a closet of stealth vaping everywhere.  I'm happy to share how well this has worked for me.  I've always hoped that everyone who smokes and wants to stop would have these incredible (to me) resources and success. Some days I'm still in awe that I went the whole day, week, month, year without smoking.  

I totally agree with the article.  I don't go to any of the local B&M's unless it is an emergency.

I, too, despise going into some vape shops in the local area... I feel like I'm entering a seedy "adult bookstore"... dark, loud music, no windows (or blacked-out windows), and when you open the door, the vape-cloud rolls out like you're entering a haunted-house....

I have noticed this as of late.  It really bugs me.  Don't get me wrong I have no problem with those places, but it does look bad to clients when you are leaving a combo vape & head shop.

While I really enjoy clouds.  I don't compete, and only use the drippers at the house or motel.  I noticed today that the Lemo2 might be putting out a bit more vapor than I am comfortable doing in public so I dialed it back a bit.  I don't ever want anyone to be offended by my vapor.  I was the same way with my smoking.

Well I feel no kinship with the new breed of vapers. 

A prime example:

These aren't the folks I'd choose to hang with, nor would I want any potential new vapers to see this.  Obviously 'tons' of fun at the buffet though.  :)

Even GrimmGreen.  Ever seen his neck statement?

10299908_280679005427475_182244957_n.jpg

I don't know much about art, but this ain't it.  

Oh yeah, let me add:  BCarter. thanks for being the champion of the real purpose of vaping.  Having read your many posts, I think you are as grateful to be off cigarettes as am I.  I think you are right that we need to stay focused on the fact that this is a real weapon against the power of tobacco over us. We can chase clouds all we want once our right to choose life over eventual illness and horrible death by vaping instead of smoking is embedded in stone. 

I agree and also started a post about this a while back about a couple who wanted to start vaping to quit smoking but got intimidated by the crowd.  However one also has to understand that B&Ms need to generate crowds and cash flow.  I am not sure why they cant utilize air purifiers.  In new jersey, they utilize the clean air act to stop other activities.  It would be nice to have a few pool tables, food service, coffee and drinks but it is not allowed.

Perhaps if they didn't beat the vaping industry with the clean air act rules less B&Ms would be doing cloud competitions.

It is an economy, other wise vaping wouldn't be around. 

For me, vaping was always and will always be about smoking cessation. I've been to vape meets where there are cloud comps and frankly... I'm not impressed. The last one I was at, everyone thought it was hilarious when they made the fire alarms go off until the hotel threatened to throw everyone out should it happen again. Most people there thought that was funny and tried to set it off on purpose. Not my cup of tea.

I'm just wondering can't the vaping culture be all of those things hobby sport and a healthy alternative to smoking. I mean why limit something that seems to have no limitations. We need to show what can be done instead of what can't.

No not right now IMO. It's not my personal feeling that cloud contests and vaping as a sport is dumb it's the perception it perpetuates in the public eye.

It's like when people in Colorado were fighting for legalization of cannabis. The media did not talk about the doctors and businessmen and women lined up the first day it was the twenty something living in his dad's basement with dreads and a knit cap sitting in the park looking like, well a loser. When the media reports on vaping and they show someone sitting on a park bench blowing huge clouds or show a cloud chasing competition they do not show me, the average vaper that has used basic equipment to keep off analogs for two years.

Vaping for sport WILL play almost as big a hand in us being regulated heavily as big tobaccos influence.

And all the while shops, websites and forums seem happy to advance this culture instead of pointing out that we may be our own worst enemy. There are really only 3 or 4 sub forums I even am active on here anymore because the "cloud chasing culture" annoys me. I have been saying the same thing this article points out for at least a year and a half and most disagreed. Now there are articles from experts saying the same thing and I would hazard to guess the cloud chasing sub ohm will still be 90% of the posts.

I am for anyone to do as they please but when it can have an adverse affect on my freedom I speak up. Just remember when you are grabbing a $8 cig alike as your only choice to ask yourself is vaping for sport was a good idea.

Edited by bcartervol98

I don't have anything against blowing clouds if that is what is keeping a person off analogs, But....

It is all about the spin, and 99% of people that don't have a clue about vaping hear the spin and not the truth. I don't think the "Making it a Sport" concept is doing the industry any favors.

It won't be an $8.00 cigalike it will be (after taxes) more like a $28 dollar cigalike and $15 dollars for 2 refill carts that will last about as long as 1 pack making analogs cheaper pushing people back to analogs. This is what big tobacco wants.

From the article:

"It becomes difficult to defend our (smoking cessation) claims, when the majority of the vaper lifestyle promotes vaping as a leisurely lifestyle activity. For every person that represents vaping as their solution to quit smoking, there are ten who promote it for cloud chasing and a hobby."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the article, it's clear what the majority of vapers want. If you don't believe it, then just go to any vaping web site or B&M and look what they're selling.

I have zero problems with cloud chasing as long as it's not done in confined public spaces (same etiquette as for smoking), and vape shops (of all places) should have adequate ventilation for quickly clearing up vapor clouds.