Pickles never opened since 1983

Whereas most up-and-coming alternative bands of the early '90s borrowed from the leaders of the pack (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, etc.), Blind Melon were an exception to the rule -- their roots lay in classic rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin). And while a promising career lay ahead of them, tragedy would ultimately end the band abruptly. The group came together in 1989 in Los Angeles, although all their respective members had migrated there from other U.S. locales (singer Shannon Hoon from Indiana; guitarist Christopher Thorn from Pennsylvania; and guitarist Rogers Stevens, bassist Brad Smith, and drummer Glenn Graham all hailed from Mississippi). The complete opposite of all the glossed-up glam metal that was permeating the Sunset Strip at the time, the quintet used a refreshing back-to-basics approach, both musically and visually (giving off a heavy retro vibe early on). The band considered several names -- Brown Cow, Mud Bird, Naked Pilgrims, and Head Train -- before agreeing on Blind Melon, a phrase that Smith's father would use to describe a couple of hippie neighbors from back home in Mississippi.

Here is one of their last live performances on the Intimate, Interactive show from Canadian MTV network Before tragic death of singer Shannon Hoon.

Edited by T-Bone

I always liked Blind Melon.

Properly canning food is a lost art.  My wife has done a bit, but my daughter does not care to learn.

We bought a house years back with a cellar.  It was full of canned goods.  I called the original owners' kids and they said throw all of it out.  The stuff was probably 20+ years old.  We remodeled the house, sold it, moved, moved back to the same town 3 years later.  That year we were eating Thanksgiving at my mom's and she had the most amazing green beans.  I commented about them and mom said they were out of that house... at the minimum it was 23 years old...  I couldn't believe she cooked them.  They were great though!

I saw them live on the beach in Clearwater I think it was in 93.They were one of the very few bands that I liked from the 90's when in my honest opinion music as I know it went to total $#!t. Yes canning truly is a lost art. When I was growing up my dad worked with a man who had a huge farm. He would let people from all around come pick vegetables, as much as you wanted. My stepmother would spend weekends canning. We used to buy whole cows from another place down home and have them butchered and freeze the meat. With some time and effort you can eat really well for not a whole lot of money.

Edited by gag8tor

We bought a house years back with a cellar.  It was full of canned goods.  I called the original owners' kids and they said throw all of it out.  The stuff was probably 20+ years old.  We remodeled the house, sold it, moved, moved back to the same town 3 years later.  That year we were eating Thanksgiving at my mom's and she had the most amazing green beans.  I commented about them and mom said they were out of that house... at the minimum it was 23 years old...  I couldn't believe she cooked them.  They were great though!

My mother passed in '95, and when we were clearing the basement, we found cases of canned green beans with '88 and '89 on the top of the cans.  This past Thanksgiving, I cracked two jars open for dinner, and OMG those were the best beans I had ever eaten!  So, now we're saving the rest for special occasions :)

I saw them live on the beach in Clearwater I think it was in 93.They were one of the very few bands that I liked from the 90's when in my honest opinion music as I know it went to total $#!t. Yes canning truly is a lost art. When I was growing up my dad worked with a man who had a huge farm. He would let people from all around come pick vegetables, as much as you wanted. My stepmother would spend weekends canning. We used to buy whole cows from another place down home and have them butchered and freeze the meat. With some time and effort you can eat really well for not a whole lot of money.

I grew up that way... can everything you get from the garden, and freeze (or smoke) all your butchered meats (cow, pig, deer, rabbit, turkey, geese, etc)... we ate VERY well for pennies per meal.  Wow, I really am craving a good, smoked country ham about now :D

Vintage green beans steeped for years......mmmmmm. ;)

I know.  It sounds terrible!  They were better than any can you can buy, but not as good as my wife's fresh ones.

I guess that is the cool thing about a farming community.  Everyone used to "put up" food and keep it in the cellar, as unpredictiable as our area is you could miss a crop and it would get you by until next year.

My mother passed in '95, and when we were clearing the basement, we found cases of canned green beans with '88 and '89 on the top of the cans.  This past Thanksgiving, I cracked two jars open for dinner, and OMG those were the best beans I had ever eaten!  So, now we're saving the rest for special occasions :)

I grew up that way... can everything you get from the garden, and freeze (or smoke) all your butchered meats (cow, pig, deer, rabbit, turkey, geese, etc)... we ate VERY well for pennies per meal.  Wow, I really am craving a good, smoked country ham about now :D

There is a family that I got to know from previous employment.  They raise, can, freeze, hunt, and butcher everything they eat.  I really respect them.  They said it started as a way to save money, but it turned into a lifestyle. 

I am blessed to live in an area where many fresh vegitables are easily obtained in the summer they taste so much better than the imported stuff we get in the grocery store (off season).  My wife freezes blackeyed peas, sweet corn, ocra, and squash every year.  We have never got into canning, but have made many jams and jellies.  We don't do much meat because I had a freezer go out with a half of beef in it a few years ago.  I was a huge financial blow and turned me off to it...it was good while it lasted!

A few years ago I moved into a house that from what I could gather was built around the 1940's. The rumor from the realtor was that there were a few "fake walls" in the half finished basement where you could store things, they found this out because when the previous owners had passed, the family was cleaning the house out and found a stash of blueprints. We followed the blueprints, found the storage areas and opened them up. There was a 10 ft. section of wall behind old wood paneling that had old mason jarred foods! Green beans, pickles, pickled eggs, pigs feet, the list goes on! We look at the old faded labels on the tops and the newest label we could find was from 1974, ranging all the way back to 1952. Believe it or not, they were all still sealed air tight and we had a few tastes of a few of the foods and they were the best damn jarred foods we'd ever had!

Not about Pickles...but in 1974, while stationed on a small
Island on the Aleutian chain, we found a few cans of Budweiser
from a barge that had run aground years before.

No pull tab, had to use a 'church key'.

Not sure how old they were from the taste because it was a Bud;
so how would I know if it had 'turned'...lol