SO why torch the coils?

vaping_jake

I am trying to understand the rebuild process, but currently stuck on oneof the rules. Torch your coils.

The only reasons I can think of :

1) it makes it either easier to wrap or or maintain the wrap or maybe both

or

2) not to get a metallic taste on your vape

SO the question I ask is what is the reason for it.

As you said it takes the spring out of the wire. This makes it easier to wrap. You want to do this after it is wrapped to tighten up the coils too. This is done when making macro, micro and low ohm builds. Once installed, you will heat the coil up again with the battery to tighten it up more. You also also do this to make sure it is glowing from the inside out.

I need a new pair of tweezers and a ohm meter. Led is going out on mine

Mine too. Ceramic tweezers would be better than the extra fine needle nosed pliers I've been using - it puts out too much force and I wind up squishing my coils more than I wanted. :D

And all this time you've been plucking nose hairs with them.... lol

Actually I have a trimmer for that. Seriously though I thought it was to keep heat from traveling up the arms, I never assumed anyone would squeeze them while applying power.

I torch the wire first and then wind it into a coil. Once that's done I squeeze and torch at the same time. Torching the wire first takes a lot of the springiness out of the wire so it holds its shape better after you wind it.

You mean packing the wire in ice for an hour, wrapping over and over against the grain, and then forcing the coil into a vice isn't the proper way?? :evil:

We all have our own favorite ways to do things, Earthling. :lol:

In theory, wouldn't having small gaps between the windings give better airflow to the cotton in the coil to help prevent scorching?

Edited by Mplough

I have found that having the gap does not allow the coil to vaporize the liquid as well. This allows the coil to clog up faster.

I agree with this...

The more space between wraps, only allows char and gunk to build up. Tighter wraps get hotter... I use to be a lighting engineer, and one thing about coil building for Halogen lighting is to minimize the gap for the hottest, brightest coil... and then figuring out the gas mixture, volume, pressure, and bulb-wall-thickness to maximize life (and minimize explosion).

Thanks all. In terms of gaps, i believe since we seek current flow which is based on "skin effect" that gaps would hinder the desired performance.

Now I maybe dating myself here, but in the past when prototyping micro controllers we use to use a wire wrap tool. It would make a very nice tight coil around a post. perhaps this might help produce better wraps, just a theory. The tool would cost any where from $3 and up.

Kuro Koiler is a cool manual winding tool... but they are pricey if you buy them in the US... $20 each, and there's a set of 3.

Fasttech has the full set for < $7

I have one of those electronics wire tools somewhere in storage, but for $7, I just bought the spiffy ones from Fasttech :)

I have a Q-coiler, which works well for me but it's a bit bigger than I like. At first, I thought the bigger size would be good, but as time has gone by, I'm leaning more toward the Kuro Koiler that Earthling mentioned as being more convenient. :)