18650 cells

Squid

Hello all

I have been vapeing for about 5 years and have just gotten away from the pen cells. I recently picked up a Itaste VTR. I was wondering if anyone has removed the "protection" from one of the 18650 cells for flashlights for use in an ecig. I am curious because I see the protected cells advertised upwards of 5000mAh, while the unprotected cells seem to max out around 3400 and are much more expensive. The VTR will not accept a protected cell as they are too long. I was hopeing that someone has some info on this.

The protected batteries a little longer due to the PCB or fuse that's one them. You should never tamper with battery. Invest in some Sony vtc4 or 5. Or the efest 30amp or 35amp 18650 purple in color. Also the LG is good check the c rating or amp limit. Another is the Samsung 25r. There is also mnke and aw imr that would work great for that device

JoeJoe gave a good list of batteries, and I always trust Sony VTC4 and VTC5... but also don't forget the Panasonic 3400mAh as well... I have four that I rotate in my mechanical Mods, and I know several on here use them in their VTR's as well.

I know the Nitecore batteries you're talking about... I use them in my flashlights too. Yes, they are "protected" with a PCB fuse, and are taller. I'd not even begin to try to modify those to remove the protection circuit. Just use those Nitecores for your flashlights (as they are intended for) and pick up some unprotected 18650's for the VTR :) The Panasonic 3400's are about the highest mAh you'll find for your VTR. BTW, Amazon has a four-pack of Panasonic for $38 right now (Prime shipping). The price fluctuates from time to time but generally in the $35-40 range for the four-pack :)

Hello all

I have been vapeing for about 5 years and have just gotten away from the pen cells. I recently picked up a Itaste VTR. I was wondering if anyone has removed the "protection" from one of the 18650 cells for flashlights for use in an ecig. I am curious because I see the protected cells advertised upwards of 5000mAh, while the unprotected cells seem to max out around 3400 and are much more expensive. The VTR will not accept a protected cell as they are too long. I was hopeing that someone has some info on this.

There is no such thing as a 5000mAh 18650... period.

A protection circuit (PCM) will significantly impact performance.

An example:

PAN_PCM_comp.png

Total mAh means nothing to us, we need to look at vaping mAh. Note Panasonic bases their mAh at a 2.5V cutoff, in the test above using a 2.8V cutoff we see how it falls short of those claims.

If we use a more realistic 3.2V, vaping cutoff the 3400mAh Panasonic only manages ~2000mAh, the protected version only gets ~1500mAh.

Thanks all for the replies. I was very hesitent to cut a cell open, that's why I asked.

I did not relaize that Manufacturers were useing cut offs lower than 3.2v, I was under the imprssion that 3.2v was a standard.

It's all a numbers game... Manufacturers can make any claims they want, and back up those claims with skewed/slanted data, because there are rarely standardized tests or standardized testing methods. It's up to us to read that data and levy the results against apples-to-apples comparisons.

On the bright side, the Nitecore chargers are excellent and well-made. I have two of their i4 models and they are reliable work-horses. However, "individual results may vary" :devil:

Even IMR batteries work fine, they are just on "lower" end of mAH rating, at 2000. Which, considering the amount of battery life I go through on a given day, now that I have the Zmax, I'm considering upgrading to a higher rating. At least, I assume that will last me longer. Experts, am I right or wrong there?

Efest purple, 35A are my go to batteries. I'm paying $13@ at the local B&M. I have looked online for cheaper but I am amazed at how many BAD vape shops there are. I hate Facebook but it has opened my eyes on some of these shops. Also, I see a trend in knock off batteries. Having had a Dell laptop catch fire on my lap 6 years ago, batteries are no something I'm willing to screw around with.

Mplough, can I ask the origin or your user name? When I see it, all I can think of is "Mr. Plow" from the Simpsons. :laughing:

Well you get a star by your name for pronouncing it correctly. Mplough is first initial, last name. It comes from the original English name Ploughman. My ancestors fought during the crusades with Richard the Lionheart. After coming to American they dropped the 'man' and became Plough.

Thanks all for the replies. I was very hesitent to cut a cell open, that's why I asked.

I did not relaize that Manufacturers were useing cut offs lower than 3.2v, I was under the imprssion that 3.2v was a standard.

Actually LG with their HE2 drag them down to a 2V cutoff, as does MOLI for their mAh ratings.

Even IMR batteries work fine, they are just on "lower" end of mAH rating, at 2000. Which, considering the amount of battery life I go through on a given day, now that I have the Zmax, I'm considering upgrading to a higher rating. At least, I assume that will last me longer. Experts, am I right or wrong there?

Actually true/pure IMRs, LiMn2O4 ( or LMN) tap out at about 1600mAh.

Efest purple, 35A are my go to batteries. I'm paying $13@ at the local B&M. I have looked online for cheaper but I am amazed at how many BAD vape shops there are. I hate Facebook but it has opened my eyes on some of these shops. Also, I see a trend in knock off batteries. Having had a Dell laptop catch fire on my lap 6 years ago, batteries are no something I'm willing to screw around with.

Your '35A' Efests are LGHE2s which are listed in their datasheet as 20A continuous discharge batteries.

Here's more Efest nonsense.

Efest_18650_3100_mAh__14701.1408426018.1

20A? :)

Here's a test of the LGHE2 20A battery vs. the Efest Panasonic 3100 rewrap.

Efest_3100.jpg

Having had a Dell laptop catch fire on my lap 6 years ago, batteries are no something I'm willing to screw around with.

Probably those were Sony 18650s. It was a major fiasco that affected Acer, Apple, Toshiba, Dell and any other poor saps who used Sony 18650s. Sony has had to recall (10+million) cells and also dispose of more tainted inventory (43 million) than all the other major manufacturers combined.

Actually LG with their HE2 drag them down to a 2V cutoff, as does MOLI for their mAh ratings.

Actually true/pure IMRs, LiMn2O4 ( or LMN) tap out at about 1600mAh.

Your '35A' Efests are LGHE2s which are listed in their datasheet as 20A continuous discharge batteries.

Here's more Efest nonsense.

Efest_18650_3100_mAh__14701.1408426018.1

20A? :)

Here's a test of the LGHE2 20A battery vs. the Efest Panasonic 3100 rewrap.

Efest_3100.jpg

Probably those were Sony 18650s. It was a major fiasco that affected Acer, Apple, Toshiba, Dell and any other poor saps who used Sony 18650s. Sony has had to recall (10+million) cells and also dispose of more tainted inventory (43 million) than all the other major manufacturers combined.

Sony has finally move from negative standings to a zero in consumer reports so maybe they are finally changing for the better

im using some sony cells right now that are like 4A max cont. and they are running my single .9ohm coil at the moment though i have some 30 amp lmnk's coming in the mail then il build a couple similar coils for ~.45ohm