18650 cells

Squid

Well you get a star by your name for pronouncing it correctly. Mplough is first initial, last name. It comes from the original English name Ploughman. My ancestors fought during the crusades with Richard the Lionheart. After coming to American they dropped the 'man' and became Plough.

Very cool. I can trace my ancestry back to (in this country) the American Revolution, and my German ancestors back a couple hundred years (thanks to a document written up at some point in time in the Loeffler family history leading up to how my mother's grandparents, on her mother's side, left German - at that time, Prussia). Been able to trace some of the Irish and Scot family history, but that's trickier, since my father's father left home at 16, and we don't have a lot of information on his side of the family, other than I think his parents and step-mother. Luckily, on my father's mother's side, there is a distant cousin that has done extensive research on the her side of the family - they even had a lumber town named after them, because well, the lumber mill was theirs, and they, primarily, were the residents of the town, a whole extended family. I've passed off the genealogy research back to my mother, now that she has time for it. She has connections out in the distant relatives that I just don't have - I managed to find three wives for one of my grandmother's ancestors, and an ungodly number of children - but either one marriage ended in divorce, which, you know, wasn't done in the 1700's (I think it was the 1700's) or the information is wrong, because I have the third wife while the second is still alive - which means you can't always trust information you get off others' family trees. In some distant way, we are supposed to be related to Charlemagne, but I didn't bother to trace that side line out. But it was very cool finding all the ancestors that fought in the Revolution, and some that died in the Revolution.

joejoe, I'd heard that about Efest, I think I even saw the same chart. Not sure what you meant by IMR batteries pretty much tap out at 1600 - do you mean they die, or their performance drops off?

Probably those were Sony 18650s. It was a major fiasco that affected Acer, Apple, Toshiba, Dell and any other poor saps who used Sony 18650s. Sony has had to recall (10+million) cells and also dispose of more tainted inventory (43 million) than all the other major manufacturers combined.

WillBlack, I have been reading your posts for quite a while and you have a lot of good data on batteries, I really appreciate all the information. What 18650's do you recommend? I have a couple of VTC4's that I think are needing to replace, and I don't know what to replace them with. I will be using them for sub-ohm in mechanical mainly.

The one bad thing about the internet is you can't touch it or compare it to images of fakes until you have it in your hand. Most places just keep recycling photos from the maker or other legit batteries, then, send you the fake. It is the old bait and switch.

I'm not sure I would trust the green one it looks to a fake Sony. I say the for the 1 most obvious reason.

The top has two big of a gap.

top-gap-of-real-and-fake-sony-vtc5-3.jpg

top-gap-of-real-and-fake-sony-vtc5.jpg

That is VTC 3 though, not sure if it is like the VTC4s and 5s on this point.

Does it have a bump on the bottom?

negative-cap-of-real-fake-sony-vtc5-3.jp

I'm not sure I would trust the green one it looks to a fake Sony. I say the for the 1 most obvious reason.

The top has two big of a gap.

top-gap-of-real-and-fake-sony-vtc5-3.jpg

top-gap-of-real-and-fake-sony-vtc5.jpg

That is VTC 3 though, not sure if it is like the VTC4s and 5s on this point.

Does it have a bump on the bottom?

negative-cap-of-real-fake-sony-vtc5-3.jp

Definitely not the real thing.. Got it from the vape store too!

Getting effests 20 amps..

Waiting for these.. Reputable company tho ac1a0ec28e1004da098ac859d6c48364.jpg

And think that I got the green ones at the vape store.. I was still learning about researching everything! See u even need to know about spaces in the batteries. Lol I'm glad I live to read learn and read some more... If it interests me I'll read all day long.. Never afraid to ask the "dumb" questions either.. That's how we learn?!

I've seen both criticism and great help from Facebook too depending on the group my local group has been extremely helpful One traded me a nemi (I love it) for an extra Russian. Clone dripper I had.. Another helped me fix my nemi switch till I grab some magnets... But I have seen the questions that ppl get mean about one person asked if we're inhaling vapor are we not slowly drowning ourselves.. Ppl were nice and mean. For a question? But that was a larger group...

Btw I love this forum...

Definitely not the real thing.. Got it from the vape store too!

Getting effests 20 amps..

Waiting for these.. Reputable company tho ac1a0ec28e1004da098ac859d6c48364.jpg

I consider Efest to be as far from reputable as you can get. Even labelling them as 'IMR' is laughable. True IMRs are LiMn2O4 or abbreviated as LMO. Panasonic makes no cells with that chemistry. This is a Panasonic rewrap.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvape.li%2Fefest-imr-18650-3100-mah-20a-attention-ces-batteries-sont-dangereuses%2F&sandbox=1

Here is a test from one of the flashlite forums.

dfXpV5Q.png

The bottom 2 traces are at 20A discharge. Note the initial voltage drop, can't even do 3.2V. Pathetic. Also note the poor tracking (the different results) between the 2 samples tested for each trace. Looks like they are using Panasonic cast offs that are dumped into the loose cell market.

Here is a test of the Samsung INR18650-20R which they rate at 22A continuous @ 2000mAh

Samsung%20INR18650-20R%202000mAh%20(Gree

Here we see the Samsung at 30A ( which is 36% MORE than it's stated 22A rating) manages ~3.65V out of the gate. At 20A looks like ~ 3.82V.

We also see that up to the 20A trace it pretty much hits it's stated mAh. Also note how well they track, this is also a test of 2 samples, for the most part they look like one single trace.