Rock Tumbler

I don't see why a rock tumbler wouldn't work. An ultrasonic might/could speed up the process by the way ultrasonic machines agitate down to the molecular level, depending on how powerful the ultrasonic machine is, But ...... when usng ultrasonics for mixing/steep acceleration, it has been suggested that bottles of new mixes be placed in plastic bags, then in the water. Makes sense so the labels won't be destroyed, leakage, etc. From my experience, and talking to ultrasonic mach. manuf's., an object's direct contact with the water is best. I'm referring to the cleaning action of ultrasonics, but the same principals should apply. The plastic bottle and plastic bag, and any air trapped in the bag, buffer the usonic waves. With the usonic waves being pretty much buffered down, the usonic becomes just a really good mixer. The small amount of heat generated can be a plus for steeping.

A rock tumbler, on the other hand, seems like a pretty good alternative, since steeping seems to be pretty much a matter of time to allow the flavors to blend togther, much like leftover chili, beef stew, etc. And, the rock tumbler can be run over much longer periods of time, keeping the juice mix constantly moving and mixing. Now that I think about it, I think I prefer the rock tumbler for a few days of steeping. Liquid/flavors constantly moving, mixing, no water, simple, inexpencive machine, quiet ........ etc. Yep, I just might start looking for a cheap tumbler.

Anything is at least worth a try.

I'm not sure it would mix things well either. Are you going to use a vibrating tumbler or a rotary tumbler? Cost of a rotatory is in some cases more than a cheap sonic cleaner or around the same price. The vibrating tumblers are in most cases way more than a basic sonic cleaner. The vibrating tumbler would be basically a dry sonic cleaner. The rotary tumbler rotates slow and the round bottle would just settle to the bottom and rotate. The bottle would basically rotate around the fluid. You can see what I mean by taking a half full bottle of water and roll it on a table. If the tumbler had paddles like a dryer, it would pick up the bottle and drop it, but that would be like putting tennis shoes in a dryer. One way to help the bottle tumble would be, in this case, putting in a small plastic bag so it would no longer be round and actually tumble.

Anything is at least worth a try.

I'm not sure it would mix things well either. Are you going to use a vibrating tumbler or a rotary tumbler? Original post was asking about a rock tumbler, so I assume it to be a little hobbyist rock tumbler. Usually pretty inexpencive. Cost of a rotatory is in some cases more than a cheap sonic cleaner or around the same price. The vibrating tumblers are in most cases way more than a basic sonic cleaner. The vibrating tumbler would be basically a dry sonic cleaner. The two vibrating tumblers I have are no where near anything ultrasonic. They vibrate and move media around the object to be de-burred or polished. Are noisy ... quite noisy when filled with media. The rotary tumbler rotates slow and the round bottle would just settle to the bottom and rotate. The bottle would basically rotate around the fluid. Exactly .... and it'll keep the fluid moving in the bottle, too. Probably not a lot, but everything is constantly moving around and blending. You can see what I mean by taking a half full bottle of water and roll it on a table. If the tumbler had paddles like a dryer, it would pick up the bottle and drop it, but that would be like putting tennis shoes in a dryer. One way to help the bottle tumble would be, in this case, putting in a small plastic bag so it would no longer be round and actually tumble. Ok, or put a small fin or two in the tumbler barrel/jar/tube, whatever. Doesn't have to be anything big or tall (or noisy), just high enough to keep the bottle(s) and fluid moving around. And it's quieter and can sit in a corner and run for days. I don't remember ever owning a rock tumbler, but I assume they do have some sort of setup to keep things moving around and banging into each other, and the abrasive material, instead of bunching up and skidding across the bottom. I'm thinking they aren't even round like we're thinking. More likely square or 6-sided.

I think we need a study. Maybe a govt. grant to study the steeping effects of an ultrasonic cleaning machine vs vibrator tumbler vs rotary rock tumbler on e-cigrette juices.

Nah, not really that curious. Was just tossing out thoughts. Besides, I'm satisfied enough with the results I'm gettiing now. If we can figure out how to swing a $2 - $3 million study grant ...... well, guess I'd have to rethink my position.

Couldn't you just tape it to the inside of the rock tumbler so it goes around with it? Wouldn't that mix things up a little? Especially if you taped it in a fashion that it didn't just roll the juice around the circumference of the bottle but instead top to bottom then bottom to top?

I don't really get the whole steeping thing though.

Couldn't you just tape it to the inside of the rock tumbler so it goes around with it? Wouldn't that mix things up a little? Especially if you taped it in a fashion that it didn't just roll the juice around the circumference of the bottle but instead top to bottom then bottom to top? Yeah, sure. With a little imagination there's plenty of ways to move the mix around while it's steeping ...... IF that's a big concern. Otherwise, shake it after mixing and leave it alone for a few days. Steep or not to steep ..... your preference.

I don't really get the whole steeping thing though. Think of homemade chili, spaghetti, veg. soup, anything with a number of flavors in the recipe. Some feel food (and e-juice) tastes better the next day after the flavors have had time to blend. In my house, my wife's cooking doesn't have time to steep. It's pretty doggone good first time around. As for my e-juice mixes, I don't have the patience to steep, although they do seem to get better with age.

That is a cool Idea Bird Dog. I was thinking of that, but did not know what it was called.

LOL That paint shaker would sure do the trick I may look into one of those myself.

I go to Lowes or Home Depot and send my girlfriend to the farthest paint isle to ask for assistance and when the associate leaves the counter, I strap my juice to the paint shaker. If you put it in a can they just think another associate is mixing something.

I learned a hard lesson with glass bottles though, they don't do too good like the plastic ones.

On a serious note I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and it has a three minute timer. It takes a lot of button presses to get a few hours worth of mixing. We have an industrial one but I didn't think my juice in 20 year old solvent mixture was a good idea. I started out with it in the bathroom which is in our bedroom, the night I got it. I lost 12 pounds getting in and out of bed and running to press the button.

After wearing myself out, I sent Compenstine a PM, and haven't looked back since. I have a new standard, if it's not vapeable out of the mailbox now, it goes into the "in case of apocalypse only, and there better be zombies" box. The juice i got from another vendor that caused me to buy the jewelry cleaner, was awful out of the box, was ultrasoniced for a lot of three minute cycles, Jennifer and I did shift work with it next to the bed and a towel on top to muffle the sound for days. I think my little jewelry cleaner ran so long it caused a blackout in four or five states, I wore my fingers to a nub pressing the button, and after all that, the juice still tasted like crap.

Why not just put your juice on front of some badass speakers and crank up the volume. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Sat my entire stash in front of my three 12 inch cerwin vega subs. Now we are talking :secret: