Scaring kids

Jeffb

My daughter came home with a paper from school that states:

"The CDC notes that many e-cigarettes disperse chemicals that can irritate the lungs, that damage genes or that research has linked with causing cancer in animals."

Damage genes and cause cancer in animals? WTF?

Oh god - they got to the children.

Who wrote the letter?

As a parent I would ask the school to supply me with the real document they are using. Not somebody else's interpretation. CDC? This sounds fishy. Like somebody with their head up their uknow read some bs and twisted it their way.

*huffs* :angry:

Oh god - they got to the children.

Who wrote the letter?

As a parent I would ask the school to supply me with the real document they are using. Not somebody else's interpretation. CDC? This sounds fishy. Like somebody with their head up their uknow read some bs and twisted it their way.

*huffs* :angry:

I did a quick search on the CDC website and found nothing. The only article I came across was a study that said ecig use was up with teenagers and that the FDA was trying to regulate it with traditional tobacco use. From 2011-2012. If a school is going to release this type of information, they should at least add a foot note or link for the original information.

I would send them a response asking what information or study they are referring to.

Edited by BirdDog

I would add to that saying; My Daughter and I searched the CDC web site and found no reference to this statement.

I didn't get to BirdDogs post before I was hitting CDC website. LOL Here is a link to the index of articles on everything the CDC has listed. There is no mention of E-Cigarettes or studies confirming what this school has stated. I would also sit down with your child and show them as well.

http://www.cdc.gov/az/e.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My daughter came home with a paper from school that states:

"The CDC notes that many e-cigarettes disperse chemicals that can irritate the lungs, that damage genes or that research has linked with causing cancer in animals."

Damage genes and cause cancer in animals? WTF?

I'm afraid that your daughter might take this incorrectly. Just explain to her that it's not true and/or just go to her school and contact some school administration to tell this kind of incident because it might affect your daughter's knowledge about how bad e-cigarettes which is not that really.

My son came home and said that he took a survey which I gave him permission to, about tobacco use. There was a question about the parents smoking. The test was all multiple choice. So he made his own bubble E. No my parents don't smoke they vape and it doesn't make me sick like the cigarettes do. I though it was very clever. Spread the word boy. Let people know it's not the same damn thing.

• 5 months later...

When my oldest daughter was about 7 years old she came home from school with a paper saying cigarettes and alcohol were drugs. She was so upset because her granddaddy was a drug addict she said. I had a lot of explaining to do! I couldn't help but laugh at her when she wasn't looking. I can see both sides of that definitely. I wanted to say to her, your granddaddy is not a drug addict, he's just an idiot!

Dc