Frustrated with my iTaste 134

Hello everybody! I'm new to vaping and have been cigarette free for over a month now :D However, I'm struggling with some of my shortcomings in regard to the technicalities involved. I became interested in vaping after watching a youtube video demonstration of the itaste 134. I told myself I HAD to have it! I regret the impulse buy now as I'm beginning to realize that I can't simply plug in some juice and smoke a blissful smoke as I originally envisioned.

Frustrated, I have scoured the internet for an explanation as to why nearly every draw is a painful, burnt tasting punch to the throat and lungs. I kind of understand that higher watt cigs like mine require higher resistance (according to this image) though for the life of me I can't find a 6.5+ ohm coil! I can't be right on this, there has to be something I'm missing! The guys praising this product claimed they enjoy vaping on the itaste with a protank set at 10 watts. The itaste begins at 6.5, yet that seems to burn the hell out of the protank I purchased. So "wtf"?

Things I've tried so far and get around the same poor experience:

Purchased one of just about every combination of pg/vg/nicotine level.

Tried different tanks with different wicks

Tried different draw methods by inhaling in short bursts, slow draws, shallow draws, mouth only and inhale

Is it broken?

Hey Jeff and Wizard, thanks for the replies. The itaste 134 has settings for 6.5, 7.0, 8.0 etc. through 12.0. This mod is a variable watt vape which, as it was explained to me via this youtube video here, should control the draw on its own regardless of ohm/resistance. Like I said though, I don't think I have the facts straight as it is all so confusing for me as a beginner. So for now I'm vaping at the lowest setting out of fear that I'll get a bad plastic taste, which occurs more and more frequently now regardless of how frequently i replace the coil.

This is just my two cents but, as a beginner, I would set your iTaste 134 aside for a little while and pick up a couple Vision Spinners (you must have back ups). This is a variable voltage battery that has proven to be a great workhorse, not complicated, and very dependable, especially for a beginner. Pair that with an Anyvape Davide mini or a Kangor Pro Tank mini (these have a glass tank, no plastic so you shouldn't get any plastic taste), with either a 1.8 ohm or 2.2 ohm coil, your favorite juice and vape. Once you're more familiar with vaping and the various nuances of vaping, then go back to your iTaste 134.

Vaping has so many different variables that it's better to start simple before getting into the fancy stuff. It's best to learn about the differences in juice: PG/VG, nicotine, what sweeteners and dark juices do to coils... What ohm coils go best with what voltages and juice, the ways to tweak your set up on the lowest levels...

As with anything, you need to learn to crawl before you take off running full out. Like I said, it's just my two cents. :)

Where are getting your juice? Quality of juice is key.

Anyone in your area can help you?

I have juice from mtbakervapor.com and "crown" ejuice from my local vape shop. I'll try a higher quality juice as this is something that friends who vape have brought up before as being a possible issue.

Yea, I plan on getting something smaller when I come into some cash for sure. I figured this one would be easy in that it was variable and the input from people on youtube seemed to suggest it was a set-it and forget-it type of mod, which I figured would have been real simple. A lot of reviews mentioned that it wouldn't "burn things out". Oh well now I know and this beast will be around when I figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the advice :)

I have juice from mtbakervapor.com and "crown" ejuice from my local vape shop. I'll try a higher quality juice as this is something that friends who vape have brought up before as being a possible issue.

Also something to consider is your nicotine and PG ratios. Higher nicotine = harsher vape, more throat hit. Although PG is a great flavor carrier, it'll also produce more throat hit/harsher vape. I would start with a 50/50 PG/VG ratio and go from there.

Mt. Baker Vaper has some great juices that several on this forum like. I've personally never had a juice from them that hit my happy spot although I've tried a LOT. EC Blends is my go-to supplier for e-liquids. You can customize to your heart's content and get 5 ml bottles at only $2.50 each so you can try all kinds of different flavors to see what you like best. As you add things to your juice the price does go up but only just a little. With the coupon code: 10020 you'll get 20% off your entire order for a limited time. A word of advice on EC Blends' juices though, these are made to order so they will need to steep (age) to get the best flavor on most of them. Start out by not adding a lot of things to it at first until you find out what you like. :)

Yea, I plan on getting something smaller when I come into some cash for sure. I figured this one would be easy in that it was variable and the input from people on youtube seemed to suggest it was a set-it and forget-it type of mod, which I figured would have been real simple. A lot of reviews mentioned that it wouldn't "burn things out". Oh well now I know and this beast will be around when I figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the advice :)

If you take some time to read on this forum you'll find a wealth of information here. :)

One of the most trusted vendors is The Veteran Vaper. Brian, the owner, will answer your questions, troubleshoot any problems, and gives the very best customer service around. I've recommended him highly to many on Vapor Talk and have never heard anything but positive (rave) reviews back. You can get some 1300 mAh Vision Spinners at $24.95 here: http://www.theveteranvaper.com/vision-spinner-1300mah-variable-voltage-battery/. Don't forget to get a charger and a wall adapter for it, using the USB charger on your laptop/computer is never recommended for safety reasons. :)

Hey Jeff and Wizard, thanks for the replies. The itaste 134 has settings for 6.5, 7.0, 8.0 etc. through 12.0. This mod is a variable watt vape which, as it was explained to me via this youtube video here, should control the draw on its own regardless of ohm/resistance. Like I said though, I don't think I have the facts straight as it is all so confusing for me as a beginner. So for now I'm vaping at the lowest setting out of fear that I'll get a bad plastic taste, which occurs more and more frequently now regardless of how frequently i replace the coil.

Okay, first off, those are the wattage settings. That's power. My advice, if you don't follow Tam's advice, would be to get some 2.5 resistance coils, and start out on the 6.5 watt setting, working up until you find a setting that you like, you like the taste of, and the juice doesn't taste burned.

This is just my two cents but, as a beginner, I would set your iTaste 134 aside for a little while and pick up a couple Vision Spinners (you must have back ups). This is a variable voltage battery that has proven to be a great workhorse, not complicated, and very dependable, especially for a beginner. Pair that with an Anyvape Davide mini or a Kangor Pro Tank mini (these have a glass tank, no plastic so you shouldn't get any plastic taste), with either a 1.8 ohm or 2.2 ohm coil, your favorite juice and vape. Once you're more familiar with vaping and the various nuances of vaping, then go back to your iTaste 134.

Vaping has so many different variables that it's better to start simple before getting into the fancy stuff. It's best to learn about the differences in juice: PG/VG, nicotine, what sweeteners and dark juices do to coils... What ohm coils go best with what voltages and juice, the ways to tweak your set up on the lowest levels...

As with anything, you need to learn to crawl before you take off running full out. Like I said, it's just my two cents. :)

IMO, this is excellent advice. I prefer the higher voltage 2.5 coil, but that's personal preference. 3.7 volt setting will give you the voltage that standard "starter" batteries are at, which is a good voltage to start working from. You can go lower voltage if that tastes burned, or you can sort of play around with voltage from there.

Toot,

Keep your head up. We all had to start somewhere, sometime. I'm super new at vaping and like you, have watched a lot of youtube vaping by people that make it all look easy. Start out easy and work your way up. I just advanced into an iTaste mvp using a kanger protank2 with 2.5 ohm coil. Vaping on Zombie Blood by Goodlifevapor at 7.5watts and loving life! I started out with ce5 clearomizers about 3-4 weeks ago. Stay strong and good luck!

Here's my 2¢.

It sounds like you got yourself a really nice mod early on. Congrats on that. :thumbup:

Set the ring on 8 (watts), screw whatever atomizer, cartomizer, tank, etc., onto it, and you should be good to go*. The 134 is going to compensate its voltage to give you a consistent 8 watt vape, regardless of your delivery device's ohms rating.

As far as juice goes, I haven't come across any juices that scorch at 8 watts. I use RBAs on mechanical mods a good bit of the time and that single coil setup yields roughly 15 watts on a freshly charged battery...as long as my wick can feed the coil, I don't get a burnt taste.

* - Kanger Protanks can be a little finicky...some mods' center-posts are longer than others, pushing the KPT's center pin in too far, which blocks a lot (sometimes all) of its airflow.

Edited by Rixter

Kind of a confusing thread. That said at 6.5W things shouldn't taste like burnt plastic, unless the coil/wick is, or has become dry or the unit is defective. Are you letting the Kanger sit a while when you fill it? Nor do I think 'cheap' juice is a factor.

It would have been better if you had got a more informative and versatile PV, the Vamo comes to mind. By that I mean one that actually has a readout/screen which would provide some clues as to what it is doing. Are you actually on 6.5W? It don't sound like it. Is the atty's ohms OK? Who knows. And the watts jumping from 7 to 8 etc.can be also be rather problematic as that's a rather substantial jump. Where is 7.5 or 8.5W etc.?

Edited by WillBlack