Not broken, but I know why it didn't work well....

On Tuesday, I was vaping outside work and one of my co-workers noticed my gear and struck up a conversation. He realized I was using a Russian 91% and mentioned that he had one that was "junk", and wanted to know if I could use it for parts. Hey, free is free, so I said "sure"... he brought it to me yesterday... in the original box, unopened accessories, and leaking juice like crazy :).

Last night, I was taking it apart for cleaning, and quickly realized exactly WHY it was such a horrible RTA for him :)

2015-02-25%2018.51.49_zpsqoh42y2y.jpg

He normally uses KPT2's/Nautilus on a Mech-mod or Vamo, and some shop in/near Lexington, KY talked him into buying it (obviously to make a sale of a $139 RTA)... and this is what the shop built for him... with cotton piled-high around the coil, packed in the chimney!

I checked the resistance, and it's a 0.7 Ohm coil... on an RTA where builds are best in the 1.2-1.8 Ohm range (yes, the upper deck is scorched and insulator slightly melted - yes, it is wrapped around the air-hole). I honestly don't see how this thing could to anything but make the deck hot and leak like screen-doors on a submarine :)

I cleaned it up last night, and tonight I'm going to build it RIGHT @ 1.4-1.6 Ohms and organic Japanese cotton... and offer it back to him tomorrow... after-all, it's not his fault the shop is ran/staffed by idiots....

On Tuesday, I was vaping outside work and one of my co-workers noticed my gear and struck up a conversation. He realized I was using a Russian 91% and mentioned that he had one that was "junk", and wanted to know if I could use it for parts. Hey, free is free, so I said "sure"... he brought it to me yesterday... in the original box, unopened accessories, and leaking juice like crazy smile.png.

Last night, I was taking it apart for cleaning, and quickly realized exactly WHY it was such a horrible RTA for him smile.png

He normally uses KPT2's/Nautilus on a Mech-mod or Vamo, and some shop in/near Lexington, KY talked him into buying it (obviously to make a sale of a $139 RTA)... and this is what the shop built for him... with cotton piled-high around the coil, packed in the chimney!

I checked the resistance, and it's a 0.7 Ohm coil... on an RTA where builds are best in the 1.2-1.8 Ohm range (yes, the upper deck is scorched and insulator slightly melted - yes, it is wrapped around the air-hole). I honestly don't see how this thing could to anything but make the deck hot and leak like screen-doors on a submarine smile.png

I cleaned it up last night, and tonight I'm going to build it RIGHT @ 1.4-1.6 Ohms and organic Japanese cotton... and offer it back to him tomorrow... after-all, it's not his fault the shop is ran/staffed by idiots....

You're a great person.

It is sad that people selling the stuff don't know more about it. You shouldn't send a beginner home with that type of build. I am still trying to get a normal horizontal coil to work in my RTA. Wicking is an art!

Well, thanks for the pat on the back, but I'll be the first to admit that if this were a $20 clone, I'd probably be keeping it ;) But, since this is an authentic Russian 91%, and he honestly was taken for a ride with it... I would feel horrible if I kept it :) Someone needs to look out for the noobs (we all were one once)!

I've got it built right now @ 1.44 Ohms, all cleaned and ready to go. Honestly, I can't wait to see his face tomorrow when I hand it back to him... I also had an empty 5ml sample bottle from the V|T Store sample-packs that I was saving for rainy days, and gave him a sample of Comp's PBFB as a treat, as well as a couple of Japanese cotton pads so he can re-wick it (after I show him how) and keep it going for a few months.

Well, I had to take a break from work to give everyone an update...

I tracked him down this morning and handed him the "box"... he sighed heavily and said, "I guess it was too far gone, huh?"

I smiled, and opened the box, and showed him the "clean" Russian, and began to explain that I was giving it back to him because there was NOTHING wrong with it (aside from the idiot that sold it to him). He tried to be nice and insist that I keep it anyway, but I told him that I couldn't do that to him (or anyone for that matter)... He had been taken advantage of once already, and there was no reason why he shouldn't ENJOY his purchase, to the fullest extent possible!

I took it apart and showed him how parts are supposed to fit, how the coil was built and mounted, etc. I then educated him on using an Ohm meter (showed him how with mine), how to dry-burn the coil (and look for inside-out glow), how to tweak the coil if it gets bent during re-wicking... how to wick it, re-assemble, and how to properly fill (from the bottom).

He was so excited to see it properly built, and insisted that we fill it and "take a break" so he could try it out :D

BTW, Comp, he loved your PBFB, and I gave him your website so he can order more :D

He had bought that RTA about a year ago, and it had been sitting in the box (slowly leaking juice) since the day after he bought it :( Now, he has a fully functional, authentic RTA... and hopefully he's a little more educated as well ;)

I was waiting to hear how it all turned out. This was an awesome story to follow. I just love reading stories like this where it is less about getting something but fixing it. You turned this whole thing around and may have saved him from going back to analogs. To many B&Ms are into the sale and not what really matters, keeping someone happy with what they have bought.

You get my High Five for a job well done!

I'll take my hat off to ya Earthling,,

I hope your friend gets to drive the Karma bus when these scum buckets get their paybacks to everyone they have put the screws too...

I aint been in this vaping gig long but everybody I have dealt with seems to be knowledgeable

but I have learned more from you guys on this site than I could've learned on my own..

Edited by HOOKER

On a side note, I would love to take an authentic Russian 91% out for a test drive.

Maybe one day...

I have two authentic and four clones... and I must say there is a difference, but that difference is not worth $100+, IMO :) If you can find an authentic Russian 91% for under $50, then I'd snag it, but otherwise, the clones from EhPro, Yiloong, Kebo (which also make the original), YouDe, and others, are usually quite good. Both my authentic Russians were bought for $45 each, from a shop that was closing them out... otherwise I'd never have bought them.

Even the worst clone I have is not a bad device... it just came with a poor quality plastic center-tank (bad threads) and it has a tendency to pool condensation under the drip-tip (far more than I think it should). The clones also tend to be slightly taller than the authentic, and clones usually reverse the air-intake port (screw on the angle, rather than straight-in)... but that makes little difference in their function.

PM me if you want to know where to get a decent clone for $18-25.