Subtank Mini Gurgle and Spit

Edna

Hi All,

A friend gave me a subtank mini. I just got around to using it. I installed the 0.5ohm coil and I can't get it to stop gurgling or spitting. I've tried TC and wattage. Could it be the factory coil?

I set it up to 480 degrees, which is way too warm for me and it still did it and I went up to 35.5W and it still is drowning in juice. I've opened and closed off the air flow too. I haven't tried the RBA yet but I'm about to. I have to do something.....

Suggestions please.

4 minutes ago, cany said:

Is it a TC coil I didnt think the occ coils went that low in TC

I'm not sure...I just switched it out of desperation :( it's a SSOCC coil

Edited by Edna

2 minutes ago, cany said:

Use it in Watt mode not TC try around 30W

Thanks, I did that I've tried that ans everything I know. I even took it out of the tank and set it upside down on a paper towel to drain/dry it out and start over. Luckily it's not burnt. I'm just frustrated.  I know they're supposed to work better than this from all the good reviews that everyone who uses them here says.

6 minutes ago, cany said:

I think that coil can run up too 60W have you tried it higher than 35?

No, I haven't but I will try it, normally I don't vape above 33 watts I don't like it that hot. Thanks.

Do you know which version of the sub tank you have? 

Does it have 1 airflow slot or 2?

ive never been able to run a .5 ssocc coil above 30watts.  They say they are rated higher than that but I don't believe it.  Are you sure they are authentic Kanger coils?

is your juice ratio less than 60vg?

1 minute ago, Bebop said:

Do you know which version of the sub tank you have? 

Does it have 1 airflow slot or 2?

ive never been able to run a .5 ssocc coil above 30watts.  They say they are rated higher than that but I don't believe it.  Are you sure they are authentic Kanger coils?

is your juice ratio less than 60vg?

Hi Bebop,

It's the toptank mini and it has 2 air slots.  Yes, they're genuine coils (just bought them) but no, I am using 70vg/30pg juice. Does that make a big difference?

The higher the VG content, the thicker the juice. The higher the PG content, the thinner it is.

For the gurgling, try turning the tank upside down and blowing gently into the mouth piece without powering it on. That will "blow" the juice back into the tank and out of the center piece, it works for me in various tanks and most especially in my regular subtank when I use it.

I don't know if you missed that thread but the ssocc is a regular Nichrome coil, not stainless steel so it should only be run in wattage mode.  The stainless steel refers to the body of the coil.

ok. Your opening post says subtank mini, which is a totally different tank but they can use the same coils.

70vg is good.  Are your juices super sweet?  

You are probably best suited around 22 watts.  The toptank mini has a pretty short chimney, it performs well but it's not really made for high production/high wattage like other sub ohm tanks. 

The sugars in very sweet juices tend to spit more than others. 

I have run in to bad coil batches before.  It's rare but it does happen.  See if you can clear that gurgle first then run between 18 - 22 watts and see what happens...

20 minutes ago, Bebop said:

I don't know if you missed that thread but the ssocc is a regular Nichrome coil, not stainless steel so it should only be run in wattage mode.  The stainless steel refers to the body of the coil.

ok. Your opening post says Subtank mini, which is a totally different tank but they can use the same coils.

70vg is good.  Are your juices super sweet?  

You are probably best suited around 22 watts.  The toptank mini has a pretty short chimney, it performs well but it's not really made for high production/high wattage like other sub ohm tanks. 

The sugars in very sweet juices tend to spit more than others. 

I have run in to bad coil batches before.  It's rare but it does happen.  See if you can clear that gurgle first then run between 18 - 22 watts and see what happens...

Thanks, i must of missed that.... For some reason I thought that the toptank and subtank were interchangeable terms...OOPS

Yes, I like sweet juices I'll try setting it around 20w  if I can get the gurgle gone. I might just pop in another coil and start over.

On the RBA can I build it to 0.3ohms that's the coil usually that I vape it might just be easier. I don't seem to have much success with stock coils LOL

I wanted to add - 

dont forget that that once you get excessive gurgle, the juice could travel down in to the base.  Flooding in the base can not only cause gurgle which can't be burned off, but it also disrupts your airflow and could potentially cause electrical inaccuracies that make the tank not perform well.  If the gurgle doesn't clear up by burning it off, pull the base off, remove the coil and dry it up, and rinse the base and dry thoroughly before reassembly and that should take care of the gurgle. 

If if your still getting gurgle after that then you might have a problem at the Oring on the coil/base, either no Orin's or a double Oring.  

1 minute ago, Bebop said:

I wanted to add - 

dont forget that that once you get excessive gurgle, the juice could travel down in to the base.  Flooding in the base can not only cause gurgle which can't be burned off, but it also disrupts your airflow and could potentially cause electrical inaccuracies that make the tank not perform well.  If the gurgle doesn't clear up by burning it off, pull the base off, remove the coil and dry it up, and rinse the base and dry thoroughly before reassembly and that should take care of the gurgle. 

If if your still getting gurgle after that then you might have a problem at the Oring on the coil/base, either no Orin's or a double Oring.  

Ahhhh the old double oring I forgot about that Its got me more than once

@Bebop @cany @Tam

BINGO.. I blew it out upside down..... then checked the coil and base....it had a double o-ring....Thanks all three of you.... it worked! :) 

I cleaned out the base and saw the o-ring.

About the rba...can I rebuild it to 0.3?

33 minutes ago, Edna said:

My next adventure will be the build....Ahhhh..... vaping goodness!

I have tried a lot of different builds using the Subtank mini RBA, the one that works the best for me is a SS 316L .5 build. 5 wraps around 3mm with 28g wire. Other people probably prefer something else, but everybody is different with different tastes.

Sorry.  I can't edit my post now which I would have done to avoid confusion for future readers-

You have a top tank mini which is essentially an upgraded, top fill subtank mini that has slightly less juice capacity So Id like to retract what I said earlier as I was thinking toptank nano when I described the shorter chimney.  

The top tank mini uses the same subtank coils and RBA deck as the subtank mini. 

ThIs post is for no other reason than clarity.  

It's hard to keep track of all these freeking tanks haha.  I guess that's a good sign.  I mean, the top players are still cranking out the products!

Bebop is 100% right on the Subtank mini, and the Top tank mini, the tank itself is shorter on the toptank, so the chimney would be shorter.

Don't know about the top fill nano chimney being much shorter than the original nano, unless you are referring to the 1.8ml top fill nano. I have both the original nano, and the 3.2ml top fill nano, and measuring from the top of the coil to the top of the tank there isn't much if any difference. The base on the original nano is about 1/8 inch taller than the top fill nano base. I don't have any of the 1.8ml nano tanks but my guess is they are shorter.