looking to replace my vape? Advice?

I am planning on replacing my vape at the end of the month. I am currently using a Kangertech subvod mega. I like it a lot, but the only problem is the coils lose flavor very quickly! I don't know if it's because I chain vape or what. Sometimes they seem to only last a day. So I am looking for a replacement that has good coils and that I could buy a startup kit at a reasonable price. Anyone have suggestions? Should I just get a better Kanger?

5 minutes ago, Sarah_1988 said:

I like it a lot, but the only problem is the coils lose flavor very quickly! I don't know if it's because I chain vape or what. Sometimes they seem to only last a day.

Do you vape the same flavor all day or do you change flavors a couple times a day? If you vape/chain vape the same flavor for too long, your tongue will lose the ability to taste that eliquid. If you change your flavors, for example you're vaping a fruit flavor, change to something completely different like apple pie (bakery) for a little while then go back to the fruit flavor and you should be able to taste it again. It might not be your coils...  :) 

I have a couple of Subvods, depending on the juice the coils can last a couple of weeks sometimes. the darker the juice the shorter the coil life, also sweeter juices can gunk up a coil pretty fast. One flavor I vape is a coffee flavor, and I usually only get 2 tanks max on a coil.

20 minutes ago, Sarah_1988 said:

I am planning on replacing my vape at the end of the month. I am currently using a Kangertech Subvod mega. I like it a lot, but the only problem is the coils lose flavor very quickly! I don't know if it's because I chain vape or what. Sometimes they seem to only last a day. So I am looking for a replacement that has good coils and that I could buy a startup kit at a reasonable price. Anyone have suggestions? Should I just get a better Kanger?

Welcome to VT.  Be prepared for lots of questions, lots of advice and lots of recommendations.  

As @Tam mentioned, you may just need to mix up your juice flavors.  For some people a single flavor works, for others, we need a variety.  As @FXRich mentioned, darker and/or sweeter juices can be rough on coils.

If you truly want to upgrade to something else, then I can make some recommendations, but those recommendations would depend on what a reasonable price is to you.  What I find reasonable may not be reasonable to you, or your limit may be higher than I find reasonable.  Kanger makes fine products.  I started with a Kanger EMOW kit and own a couple of Kanger tanks.  There are several Kanger products that might interest you in the Vapor Talk store.  Personally, though, I am partial to Sigelei regulated box mods.  I currently own four of them; an older Sigelei 100+ and three Sigelei Fuchai 213's.  They don't, however, come bundled with a tank (though you might find a vendor that has a "package deal").  

For tanks, I have been vaping on the SMOK TFV8 Cloud Beasts and Baby Beasts.  The flavor production of the Baby Beast is nothing short of phenomenal, but it only has a 3ml capacity, which doesn't work for a lot of people (in fact, as a daily driver it doesn't work for me, either).  That being said, I went through more tanks than I bothered to count on the Baby Beast before I had to change a coil,.  The reason I had to change the coils wasn't because it lost it's luster.  The reason was because during a rather intoxicating chain vaping session, I let it go dry and burned the cotton.  I have no doubt I would have gotten several more tanks before the coil absolutely had to be changed.  That was with dark juices, light juices, sweet juices, not so sweet juices, fruity flavors and dessert flavors.

Alternatively, SMOK also just released the "Alien Kit", which includes their new Alien 220 watt regulated mod and a Baby Beast for about $60 (shop around).  

X2 on the smok kit with baby beast. I'm looking to pick that setup up here soon. The tfv8 is a great tank too, but like all my other flavor chasing cloud making tanks, coils just don't seem to last. I had high hopes for the tfv8,but alas I'm burning thru coils every other day it seems. I have 2 triforce tanks and the tfv8 blows them away for both flavor and production but the coils have the same short lifespan. I had a tfv4 and traded it off because of short coil life. I can't speak to the coil life on the baby beast, I can't see myself using it much as it's too small for my chain vaping self.

I've tried changing juices up, still short coil life. I maitre mine with the puff counters, which kinda sucks cause one tank trends to ride the same mod all the time. Lol

But I've accepted this as vape life. My tanks drink juice, but flavor is what I'm after.

Everybody has different vaping styles.  Or different vaping techniques. All of these variations lead to different performance. Different flavor.  Different coil life.

I have pretty good working hypothesis on this.  My wife and I use the same coils and tanks.  We both vape a variety of juices. She goes thru coils twice as fast as I do.  Sometimes we even use pre made coils but most of the time we use coils I make myself.  She says to me, "can you check my coils?"  I take a hit off her rig.  GAUGH!!!   Terrible!  I just made these coils a few days ago. My coils last 2 weeks sometimes with just a drop off on flavor but nothing close to burnt.

How is that possible?  

We have completely different vaping styles.  I like LOTS of airflow.  I take relatively quick, hard pulls with lots of airflow.  On a cool coil I take a couple primer puffs just as I fire the mod, not inhaling.  Then, I do a nice deep and brisk pull. I get lots of flavor and vapor. I vape higher wattage than she does.  Yet, my coils last twice as long.

My wife, on the other hand, fires her mod then starts to nurse her hits. These long, gentle draws.  You can hear the juice cooking on the coil.  She gets way less vapor.  The contrast to our styles is either end of a broad spectrum.  I'm sure everyone varies between these extremes and some fall outside of these extremes.

but I'm pretty sure that coil longevity is tied to juice flow rate and airflow.

there's a good chance that if you are prematurely burning coils up, then your airflow rate is too low for your wattage setting and the juice is just sitting there cooking on the coil.  I'm not really saying it's wrong or right to vape one way or another.  But I do think it explains why different people have different results to the same coil.  

Not all coils are the same, for sure.  I think most experienced vapers develop a sense for how much air to cpull over that coil.  There's a little sweet  spot in there you can feel and hear.  And any "low watt" vaper probably has experienced the sensation of pulling too much air over a coil too which can be pretty unsatisfying as well.  Just lots of air.

just my thoughts on it

Thank you for all of you info everyone! I actually do switch flavors a lot, trying to achieve that flavor. I looked up the alien kit and am strongly considering it, it looks like a really decent vape, if I can learn how to use it 😝 But I always research the proper ways to use something before I even recieve it. Is it relatively easy to use? I am impressed with the wattage on it versus what I've been vaping with the Subvod mega.