How do you feel about minors vaping?

spydre

My niece's boyfriend vapes, and he's only 17.  At first I started to say something back in April or May when I found out about it, but I started smoking at 15.  Now, as a parent I feel one way about it, as a vaper I feel another way about it (like minors who are smoking or vaping are why the smoking age is going up around here, and if minors weren't vaping, we might not have the FDA coming down on us so hard), and as a former smoker, who started as a minor, I feel yet another way about it.  I know how he used to get his stuff - a friend of his worked at the B&M we use,  so the friend would score him stuff.  So what is everyone's thoughts regarding this?

I'm the same way - I'd rather see them vape than smoke, but it's easier to get cigarettes underage than it is to get vape stuff, lol.  His friend doesn't work at the shop anymore, anyway.  Not sure how he's getting his juice since August 8th.  I guess others are getting it for him.  He doesn't turn 18 for two months.

When I started smoking at 13, I could walk into a small local store and say my mom sent me to get her cigarettes or get them in a machine with no questions asked. It was that way until I turned 18+. When my kids started I couldn't stop them they got them from someone. Now I'm trying to get them to switch to vaping since one has kids of his own. I'm not happy about it but I'd rather that they vape than expose themselves to the 4K plus chemicals there are in analogs.

This one is a sort of a conundrum.  Did he start vaping because he was smoking tobacco and he wanted to quit, or did he start vaping because it "looks cool" and he wanted to blow big clouds?  While I would prefer minors abstain completely and don't support it, (admittedly hypocritical since I started smoking on my 15th birthday many moons ago), I would feel a little more at ease knowing the vaping is because he is using it as a tool to quit smoking rather than a toy to impress himself and his friends.

On 9/28/2016 at 4:48 AM, Edna said:

When I started smoking at 13, I could walk into a small local store and say my mom sent me to get her cigarettes or get them in a machine with no questions asked. It was that way until I turned 18+. When my kids started I couldn't stop them they got them from someone. Now I'm trying to get them to switch to vaping since one has kids of his own. I'm not happy about it but I'd rather that they vape than expose themselves to the 4K plus chemicals there are in analogs.

I started vaping, and within a year, my dad's primary doc and diabetes doc both told him to switch to vaping - both for his lung health, which isn't great (he has "early emphysema", but supposedly good lung function for someone with that (what does that even mean?)) and for his diabetes.  He tried it.....for a couple of days.  Then went straight back to his marlboro reds.  Luckily, except in winter, or when he's sick, mom makes him smoke outside.  THAT doesn't even deter him.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not agree for minors vaping . It is the age when they should focus to achieve their goals if they start vaping definitely they cant concentrate on their studies and career instead of which flavor to vape.

8 hours ago, Elberto34 said:

I do not agree for minors vaping . It is the age when they should focus to achieve their goals if they start vaping definitely they cant concentrate on their studies and career instead of which flavor to vape.

This is silly. I vape and still am able to focus on my goals/career & family.

Well that's a loaded gun for me,I have a huge problem with minors taking up vaping,if it is because they want to be 'cool' why start a nicotine addiction that was not there in the first place?on the same token I know some of us,when we were teenagers took up smoking because it was 'cool'and we were some of us,myself included pressured to start,I started at age 15around that same time I got a job at a drug store,and my manager sold me all the smokes I could buy, so I became even cooler,because I could get everyone ciggies. Once you are hooked,you will do what you have to to get what you want.on the same token,if you are a parent and your child is smoking,of course you want them to stop,but you can't always make them, given vaping is a healthier alternative,but as a parent I would beware of the company my kid was keeping,we all can pick out a bad influence,as people.I would be careful as to the extent of what my kid got exposed to in the first place,putting firm anti smoking morals in-why ciggarettes aren't cool,they kill you and explain it well enough,chances are after that,the kid might just say no.but kids will be kids,they are going to try stuff.if they have never smoked,and inhale a vape with nicotine, they will most likely gag.and there's my two cents!

I started smoking over 30 yrs ago at age 13..wish vaping was around as a option back then or I wouldn't have the lung problems (COPD, etc) today caused by tobacco products..My mom recently passed away from lung cancer being a 3 pack a day smoker (Kools) for over 50 yrs..tried to get her to vape instead but she didn't like vaping...
You're right, kids will be kids and I'd rather see them vape than smoke tobacco products..but that's just me I reckon, lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, smacksy said:

I started smoking over 30 yrs ago at age 13..wish vaping was around as a option back then or I wouldn't have the lung problems (COPD, etc) today caused by tobacco products..My mom recently passed away from lung cancer being a 3 pack a day smoker (Kools) for over 50 yrs..tried to get her to vape instead but she didn't like vaping...
You're right, kids will be kids and I'd rather see them vape than smoke tobacco products..but that's just me I reckon, lol

My grandmother smoked two packs a day for 87 years (started at 10, lived to 97), and also chewed a pack of Wrigley's gum every day, and drank a 6-pack nearly every night of her life... Doctors tried to list her cause of death as "smoking related" until her 47 grandchildren piled on top of him and said, "NO".  My grandfather (her husband) died at 88, and never smoked a day in his life... he was a coal miner... again, they tried to list it as "smoking related"... :eyeroll:

My dad died at 72, of Leukemia, from working with Asbestos for decades... and they tried to list his death as "smoking related", even though he had quit when he was 40 (after smoking a pack a day for 24 years and had a heart-attack due to stress and poor eating habits)... again... we had to step in and have the real cause listed. 

This is why I do not give a lick of credibility to "smoking related death" statistics....

As for minors vaping... well, the laws have made it illegal for anyone under 18 (or 21) to buy, posses, or smoke a tobacco product, but teens continue to be one of the larger age-groups for smoking...  In my opinion, making it illegal only makes it more enticing... and that also goes for underage drinking, drugs, driving prior to having a license, firearms, etc. etc. etc....

I have no problems seeing a teen vaping to quit their smoking habit (that they probably picked up at the ripe age of 12), but I do have issues with ANYONE underage, vaping, that has never smoked... and I don't understand those adults that take up vaping to be "cool" or "do tricks"... and I'll leave it at that... :)

My grandmother smoked two packs a day for 87 years (started at 10, lived to 97), and also chewed a pack of Wrigley's gum every day, and drank a 6-pack nearly every night of her life... Doctors tried to list her cause of death as "smoking related" until her 47 grandchildren piled on top of him and said, "NO".  My grandfather (her husband) died at 88, and never smoked a day in his life... he was a coal miner... again, they tried to list it as "smoking related"... :eyeroll:
My dad died at 72, of Leukemia, from working with Asbestos for decades... and they tried to list his death as "smoking related", even though he had quit when he was 40 (after smoking a pack a day for 24 years and had a heart-attack due to stress and poor eating habits)... again... we had to step in and have the real cause listed. 
This is why I do not give a lick of credibility to "smoking related death" statistics....
As for minors vaping... well, the laws have made it illegal for anyone under 18 (or 21) to buy, posses, or smoke a tobacco product, but teens continue to be one of the larger age-groups for smoking...  In my opinion, making it illegal only makes it more enticing... and that also goes for underage drinking, drugs, driving prior to having a license, firearms, etc. etc. etc....
I have no problems seeing a teen vaping to quit their smoking habit (that they probably picked up at the ripe age of 12), but I do have issues with ANYONE underage, vaping, that has never smoked... and I don't understand those adults that take up vaping to be "cool" or "do tricks"... and I'll leave it at that... [emoji4]

I guess people vape for different reasons..I vape because it's healthier than smoking for my acquired nicotine addiction..284606da503adaaf14924f1d9d44bfd6.jpg
And for me I enjoy fogging up my room, seen here under the blacklight... I'm never to old to have a little fun, lolol

7 minutes ago, smacksy said:

I guess people vape for different reasons..I vape because it's healthier than smoking for my acquired nicotine addiction..

And for me I enjoy fogging up my room, seen here under the blacklight... I'm never to old to have a little fun, lolol

Thanks for making my point :)

1. First and foremost... You are an adult
  2. You vape to replace smoking as your source of Nicotine
  3. You recognize that smoking is not healthy, and that vaping is a healthier alternative
  4. You didn't take up vaping as a non-smoker just to blow big clouds, do vapor tricks, or "be one of the cool kids"
  5. You contain your cloud chasing to the privacy of your own home (so as to not needlessly annoy others or cast vapers in a bad light, socially, publicly, or in the media)

The question being, regarding underage vaping... and you nailed every one of my criteria above... Kudos for doing it with two sentences and a picture! :D

2 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

Thanks for making my point :)

3. You recognize that smoking is not healthy, and that vaping is a healthier alternative
  4. You didn't take up vaping as a non-smoker just to blow big clouds, do vapor tricks, or "be one of the cool kids"
  5. You contain your cloud chasing to the privacy of your own home (so as to not needlessly annoy others or cast vapers in a bad light, socially, publicly, or in the media)

The question being, regarding underage vaping... and you nailed every one of my criteria above... Kudos for doing it with two sentences and a picture! :D

lolol  :lol:

Thanks for making my point [emoji4]
The question being, regarding underage vaping... and you nailed every one of my criteria above... Kudos for doing it with two sentences and a picture! [emoji3]

Happy you liked my post [emoji106]