Rebuilding Kanger OCC horizontal Coils

I have been rebuilding the horizontal occ coils, for some time now. Does anyone else here do that also? At first I was using coils with a 2.5mm id but was getting a lot of dry hits because of poor wicking, I changed to a 3mm id coil, and it helped a lot, but still a few dry hits. The holes in the side of the coil are 2.9mm, I was considering drilling them out to 1/8 inch which is 3.18mm to help juice flow. Not sure if that would help. The SS316L coils I use come out between .9 and 1 ohm. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

I don't build my own coils or rewick currently, but I like the Kanger .5 ohm coils. I like them as long as I pluck the cotton out of the juice holes a bit with a pin before I install them that is. I have found that the cotton is packed in too tight from the factory and the juice doesn't wick fast enough unless I pick the wick (rhyme not intended). I typically run them around 35 watts on the subbox, and really close to that on my istick 50W and my IPV4S with a subtank mini or plus. I am using Comp's juices at 40PG/60VG.

I am curious to see answers and your results because I just got some 316SS and am getting ready to try building on the subtank deck, and it looks as if the 2 builds would be similar, I have the V2 RBA.

They are as easy to rebuild as the KPT single coils, maybe easier because they are bigger. The verticals are a PITA to rebuild though. I did drill one out this morning, built it and no dry hits, even when chain vaping.

There's lots of videos online that show how to do it, I don't bother taking the top off, just stick a pin through the holes to hold the coil in place while attaching the coil leads, and then wick it. That's another reason I drilled the holes out, I use a 3mm id coil and the holes are only 2.9mm if that. Now I can use a 3mm pin to hold the coil in place when attaching the leads. 

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

There's lots of videos online that show how to do it, I don't bother taking the top off, just stick a pin through the holes to hold the coil in place while attaching the coil leads, and then wick it. That's another reason I drilled the holes out, I use a 3mm id coil and the holes are only 2.9mm if that. Now I can use a 3mm pin to hold the coil in place when attaching the leads. 

Good tip :)

I like squid's idea too.  Only other thing I can offer is to thin out the cotton ends if you are using anything over 50 VG.  I've found that a wispy wick flows better for higher VG

• 6 months later...

Question....

Has anyone tried rebuilding the round SSOCC coils yet? I've found videos on rebuilding the OCC coils but not the SSOCC ones.

I imagine the principal is the same, pull the pin and grommet then take out the old and install the new and replace grommet and pin. The reason I ask is I now have 2 toptanks and only one RBA I'm waiting on 5 RBA's from online shopping but they won't get here this week and I want to replace the coils in both tanks. I also ordered a couple of the OCC coils from the VT store but they'll be a few days too. I have other tanks and such but I'm enjoying these so much I like them in my daily rotation.....

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Edna said:

Question....

Has anyone tried rebuilding the round SSOCC coils yet? I've found videos on rebuilding the OCC coils but not the SSOCC ones.

I imagine the principal is the same, pull the pin and grommet then take out the old and install the new and replace grommet and pin. The reason I ask is I now have 2 toptanks and only one RBA I'm waiting on 5 RBA's from online shopping but they won't get here this week and I want to replace the coils in both tanks. I also ordered a couple of the OCC coils from the VT store but they'll be a few days too. I have other tanks and such but I'm enjoying these so much I like them in my daily rotation.....

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

I have looked at rebuilding the round vertical Kanger coils, but have not tried it yet, they look to be a PITA to rebuild. I like the old square horizontal coils for rebuilding, they are easy to rebuild and have good flavor. The big drawback to the square horizontal coils is Kanger quit making them. There are clones available from FT, but they are not as good as the Kanger coils, even though they are stamped Kangertech, but for rebuilding purposes the are just as good as the Kanger coils. A while back I ordered 10 Kanger RBAs from FT, 2 of them didn't work well and ended up keeping them for parts for the other RBAs I have.

13 minutes ago, FXRich said:

I have looked at rebuilding the round vertical Kanger coils, but have not tried it yet, they look to be a PITA to rebuild. I like the old square horizontal coils for rebuilding, they are easy to rebuild and have good flavor. The big drawback to the square horizontal coils is Kanger quit making them. There are clones available from FT, but they are not as good as the Kanger coils, even though they are stamped Kangertech, but for rebuilding purposes the are just as good as the Kanger coils. A while back I ordered 10 Kanger RBAs from FT, 2 of them didn't work well and ended up keeping them for parts for the other RBAs I have.

Where did you get the Kanger RBS's from

I think the main problem for the stock verticals is I believe they are press fit components.  That usually means its tough to get them back together if you can get them apart.  And you could damage them getting them apart.  Tricky but I don't see how else you can replace the cotton. Nit to mention rebuilding the coil....

2 hours ago, Bebop said:

I think the main problem for the stock verticals is I believe they are press fit components.  That usually means its tough to get them back together if you can get them apart.  And you could damage them getting them apart.  Tricky but I don't see how else you can replace the cotton. Nit to mention rebuilding the coil....

You could rebuild them with a horizontal coil, but the third hole creates a problem. Rebuilding them as a vertical coil will leave you with 1 of the legs being pretty long.

Thanks guys,

I ordered the 5 pack of RBA's if they work I might order more. I saw FT had a 50 pack of OCC coils for $40+ but was hesitant to buy them though the reviews are decent.

I tried rebuilding the round SSOCC coil but haven't tried it out yet because my tanks were full of juice and I had running around to do.

It wasn't that hard I just went in through the top and used a 2.5 screwdriver to stabilize the coil while I set the legs then I wicked it and it seemed to go ok. I'll update once I switch it out.

8 hours ago, Edna said:

Thanks guys,

I ordered the 5 pack of RBA's if they work I might order more. I saw FT had a 50 pack of OCC coils for $40+ but was hesitant to buy them though the reviews are decent.

I tried rebuilding the round SSOCC coil but haven't tried it out yet because my tanks were full of juice and I had running around to do.

It wasn't that hard I just went in through the top and used a 2.5 screwdriver to stabilize the coil while I set the legs then I wicked it and it seemed to go ok. I'll update once I switch it out.

I got a 50 pack of OCC coils from FT, so did a few others here. I believe they are Kanger seconds, or possibly over production. The bodies, gaskets, and pins are identical to Kanger coils, but the coil that's inside isn't the best. I even got one with no threads. But I bought them to rebuild, and they work great for that. I did find that when rebuilding OCC coils Rayon works better for me than cotton. Some people don't like the rayon, but I do, and $14 at sally's beauty supply buys a lifetime supply.

I've been rebuilding the horizontal OCC for quite some time...  As mentioned above, building the coils on a 3mm mandrel makes a much better coil, and if you drill out the holes to 3mm, you can make it a lot easier on yourself to hold the coil in place while attaching the bottom, and wicking them is a breeze, as you "fluff" the cotton a bit and trim even with the side of the coil-housing.

I've bought 200 of the FT clone coils in 1.2 Ohm, and so far they have been really good, although I must say one of the boxes contained 5 of 5 that were crap!  None of them metered 1.2 Ohms, none of them maintained the same resistance as you used them, and they leaked like crazy :(  The good news is that it takes only a couple of minutes to rebuild them, and I try to do 5 or 10 when I'm watching something boring on TV or just bored all-together, lol.  I figure if I rebuild each head 3-4 times after using them the first time... I'll not have to buy coils for a while ;)

3 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

I've been rebuilding the horizontal OCC for quite some time...  As mentioned above, building the coils on a 3mm mandrel makes a much better coil, and if you drill out the holes to 3mm, you can make it a lot easier on yourself to hold the coil in place while attaching the bottom, and wicking them is a breeze, as you "fluff" the cotton a bit and trim even with the side of the coil-housing.

I've bought 200 of the FT clone coils in 1.2 Ohm, and so far they have been really good, although I must say one of the boxes contained 5 of 5 that were crap!  None of them metered 1.2 Ohms, none of them maintained the same resistance as you used them, and they leaked like crazy :(  The good news is that it takes only a couple of minutes to rebuild them, and I try to do 5 or 10 when I'm watching something boring on TV or just bored all-together, lol.  I figure if I rebuild each head 3-4 times after using them the first time... I'll not have to buy coils for a while ;)

I got tired of drilling them out, now I use a 3mm or maybe its a 1/8 inch jewelers file to make the holes bigger. Works for me, and I don't have to go out to the shop to do it. 

Well, rebuilding the round SSOCC was an epic fail... It leaked like a sieve.

I think I might go ahead and order the OCC 50 pack for rebuilding purposes. (or emergency) Thanks for all your suggestions!

As always you jump in and help out and I'm grateful!