Aspire Vertical Coils

I have been using Anyvape Davide tanks for nearly two years. They are designed and come with Aspire BDC Coils but I have always used KPT singles in them. After seeing a couple co-workers using the Nautilus with the Vertial Coils and how much longer they last I decided to order a couple packs and give them a try.

Here is my question. Using a higher VG liquid (My flavor is "no PG added" but with flavorings they call it 65% VG 35% flavorings some contain PG) but the flavorings thin it out plenty to wick fine. I have read you need to "prime" these coils especially if using a higher VG liquid. They are organic cotton so I dont want to burn them by firing them dry and want to make sure I am doing it right when I use these.

Does anyone that uses-has used them primed them before using them? Should I do anything different than I have done in the past with my KPT single coils? I have always screwed them in let them sit about 5 minutes and am good to go but looking at these coils and the tiny holes I can see where wicking might take a little longer at first.

Also on a KPT coil the goal has always been to keep liquid out of the chimney but with these I have read the hols in the top of the coil is the main entry point for liquid which makes no sense to me because if the top of the coil is exposed how does liquid not run up the shaft and out the tip? It would seem if liquid enters through the top then there could not be a proper seal?

Two things - 

i think you need the redesigned base to fit the BVC.  And I don't know if the nautilus BVC fits, but you can try.

but I do know this.  The juice doesn't not flow thru the top of these coils.  It enters thru the small holes punched around the bottom.   However, if you want to prime them, I drop 2 - 4 drops directly in to the top then dab a little on each hole.  If you do this, you can virtually start vaping right away.   If you don't prime them you can just wait a few minutes like you have, but I'd wait a few extra minutes because the coils are larger/have more cotton.

I should add - if you have gurgling problems with the BVC (usually from over priming) , just jack up the power a little and burn the excess off briefly then drop power back to normal.  You will find that you can run the BVC with more power than you have been using but it shortens coil life a little bit.  

Just what I've run in to with the BVC.  I still use them occasionally when I want a more Discreet vApe.

2 hours ago, Bebop said:

Two things - 

i think you need the redesigned base to fit the BVC.  And I don't know if the nautilus BVC fits, but you can try.

but I do know this.  The juice doesn't not flow thru the top of these coils.  It enters thru the small holes punched around the bottom.   However, if you want to prime them, I drop 2 - 4 drops directly in to the top then dab a little on each hole.  If you do this, you can virtually start vaping right away.   If you don't prime them you can just wait a few minutes like you have, but I'd wait a few extra minutes because the coils are larger/have more cotton.

I should add - if you have gurgling problems with the BVC (usually from over priming) , just jack up the power a little and burn the excess off briefly then drop power back to normal.  You will find that you can run the BVC with more power than you have been using but it shortens coil life a little bit.  

Just what I've run in to with the BVC.  I still use them occasionally when I want a more Discreet vApe.

All of mine are the kind with the extra ring on the base. Funny thing is it says you have to remove the extra piece to use KPT single coils in it and I have never done that and it worked just fine lol. Once I removed the ring it almost tastes funny, definitely different than with the extra part. I am living proof you do nto have to remove the extra ring to use KPT single coils I have done so for a long time lol.

I think I will prime so I do not burn the cotton. I am used to silica where it does not matter.

They work in:

Aspire K1 Glassomizer

Aspire CE5

Aspire CE5-S

Aspire ET-S 

Aspire Mini Nova-S (2.0ml)

Aspire Vivi Nova-S (3.5ml)

Aspire Mini Nova (2.0ml)

Aspire Vivi Nova (3.5ml)

Anyvape Davide Tank

Anyvape Mini Davide Tank

Anyvape Peakomizer

Edited by bcartervol98

2 hours ago, Bebop said:

Two things - 

What do you mean by more discreet vape? Just curious. Do you get less vapor with the BVC than the standard coils?

I just remember people raving about them in the Nautilus as far as taste went.

I am just getting a little burned out on my current setup and am trying these coils to change things up a bit. Lately it seems the KPT single coils are much more hit or miss with quality than ever before. 1.8 ohms will read anywhere from 1.9 to 2.2-2.4 and I have never had a 1.8 ohm coil that actually read 1.8 ohms on my devices. I also change them about once a week or more and some guys I know are getting a month out of the BVCs.

I just need a non-subohm change. I do not do lung hits, even tried my daughters IsubG to see if I thought I would like it with a higher resistance but lung hits are for the bong not my e-cig imo (sorry mods).

The KPT single coils are very spotty as far as quality is concerned, I've noticed it too, B. For mouth to lung tanks that aren't sub-ohm, I'm trying the version 2 of the Aspire Triton with 1.8 ohm coils. So far, all the problems I encountered on the version 1 seem to be fixed. I've been chain vaping on the V2 for the last two days, same coil, and just now starting to see a little lessening on vapor, which is very good for the dark, sweet juice I vape. It tends to gunk up coils within a day or two of non-exclusive use so for the Triton V2 coils to last this long is very good. With a light, less sweet juice, I could imagine the coils would last much, much longer.

Might think about giving this a whirl?

9 minutes ago, Tam said:

The KPT single coils are very spotty as far as quality is concerned, I've noticed it too, B. For mouth to lung tanks that aren't sub-ohm, I'm trying the version 2 of the Aspire Triton with 1.8 ohm coils. So far, all the problems I encountered on the version 1 seem to be fixed. I've been chain vaping on the V2 for the last two days, same coil, and just now starting to see a little lessening on vapor, which is very good for the dark, sweet juice I vape. It tends to gunk up coils within a day or two of non-exclusive use so for the Triton V2 coils to last this long is very good. With a light, less sweet juice, I could imagine the coils would last much, much longer.

Might think about giving this a whirl?

I might try that. My liquid is a coil killer too. I rarely can get more than 6-7 tank fulls out of one before it starts to get a gunked up taste and I just replace it at that point. I have a zip-loc sandwich bag completely full of dead KPT coils I need to send to Comp lol.

Im gonna see what these verticals do as far as taste and performance. I am not picky just craving a change and switching from KPt Singles to Aspire Verticals should be a pretty big change I would think.

I do find it funny that it says everywhere you have to remove the ring with the lines on it on the Davide in order to use KPT coils on it and I have been using KPT coils for two years without removing the ring with no leaking issues at all and it is always in my pocket getting spun and slung around. I took them off to try it and they do not like to wick so I put the extra piece back on. It worked for two years, if it aint broke I guess.....

I will be glad when these coils come in. I went with 1.6 ohm since everything seems to read a little higher than what it is supposed to be.

Although I haven't been keeping a strict count, I think I'm on the 6th refill of this tank with the same coil. Since the vapor production lessened slightly, I just turn up the power a little and it's hitting like it's still brand new.  :)

35 minutes ago, Bebop said:

B - I meant more discreet relative to my sub tank minis which put out way more vapor.  You'll find the BVC puts out a little more vapor than the kanger coils. 

Cool I didnt know if you were subbing or not. I am happy with the vapor my KPT coils put out and often would not mind a little less lol so I wondered if that was what you meant. My office gets fogged up pretty good at work as it is. I have ready the BVC advantage over the KPT coils is in the taste category which is what I am looking for. After over two years vaping the same flavor I need a change but cannot find any other flavor I like. Hoping this refreshes my taste a little.

Wow what a difference and amazing they all 4 read exactly 1.6 ohms on my Isticks. Waiting on the wife to try hers. Definitely took longer to get primed but will get easier with time I'm sure. First impression is I really like them.

One thing I noticed is using actual 1.6 ohm coils (not 1.8s that actually are 2.0-2.2) I have to go to about 10 watts to get to my sweet spot. I felt that "nicotine buzz" for the first time in a long time. May be able to step down to 12mg with these. It has definitely been in my lap more than in my hand and I usually chain vape for the most part. Seems to go through the liquid noticeably faster too but that makes sense with lower resistance and higher watts.

10 hours ago, bcartervol98 said:

Wow what a difference and amazing they all 4 read exactly 1.6 ohms on my Isticks. Waiting on the wife to try hers. Definitely took longer to get primed but will get easier with time I'm sure. First impression is I really like them.

One thing I noticed is using actual 1.6 ohm coils (not 1.8s that actually are 2.0-2.2) I have to go to about 10 watts to get to my sweet spot. I felt that "nicotine buzz" for the first time in a long time. May be able to step down to 12mg with these. It has definitely been in my lap more than in my hand and I usually chain vape for the most part. Seems to go through the liquid noticeably faster too but that makes sense with lower resistance and higher watts.

B, I'm glad you're liking the BVC Aspire coils... they are a step up in flavor over the KPT BCC, but they are also nearly 3x the price (but do tend to last a little longer, just not 3x as long).  When I gift Davide tanks to anyone, I always suggest using the KPT coils because they are cheaper, yet still perform well.  For a new vaper, cost is always at the top of their list, right? lol

You kept mentioning the Nautilus, and I wanted to clarify for everyone... the Anyvape Davide uses the standard Aspire BVC... the same coils used in the K1, ET-S, and Nova tanks... NOT the same coil used in the Nautilus.  The Nautilus coils are longer and have threading at the top of the shaft/chimney. :)  The good thing about the K1/ET-S coils are that they are usually a couple bucks cheaper than the Nautilus coils, yet made exactly the same way :)  If you have a Nautilus (standard or mini), you must use the Nautilus coils because the threading on the coil is what holds the tank together...

My SO has been using my Nautilus for the past 3 months, and she gets about 10-12 tanks out of a coil (using stock 1.6 Ohm BVC), and I've rebuilt a couple for her this past week to see if they last any longer (using 28ga Kanthal, 1.5mm ID, and Organic Cotton).

As for removing the ring to use the KPT coils... they suggest you remove it, but I haven't either, lol... The silicone cap on the KPT coils makes a better seal, IMO, if you leave the ring in.

2 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

B, I'm glad you're liking the BVC Aspire coils... they are a step up in flavor over the KPT BCC, but they are also nearly 3x the price (but do tend to last a little longer, just not 3x as long).  When I gift Davide tanks to anyone, I always suggest using the KPT coils because they are cheaper, yet still perform well.  For a new vaper, cost is always at the top of their list, right? lol

You kept mentioning the Nautilus, and I wanted to clarify for everyone... the Anyvape Davide uses the standard Aspire BVC... the same coils used in the K1, ET-S, and Nova tanks... NOT the same coil used in the Nautilus.  The Nautilus coils are longer and have threading at the top of the shaft/chimney. :)  The good thing about the K1/ET-S coils are that they are usually a couple bucks cheaper than the Nautilus coils, yet made exactly the same way :)  If you have a Nautilus (standard or mini), you must use the Nautilus coils because the threading on the coil is what holds the tank together...

My SO has been using my Nautilus for the past 3 months, and she gets about 10-12 tanks out of a coil (using stock 1.6 Ohm BVC), and I've rebuilt a couple for her this past week to see if they last any longer (using 28ga Kanthal, 1.5mm ID, and Organic Cotton).

As for removing the ring to use the KPT coils... they suggest you remove it, but I haven't either, lol... The silicone cap on the KPT coils makes a better seal, IMO, if you leave the ring in.

I thought there was a larger difference in the price but the ones I ordered are $7.95 for a 5 pack and the KPT coils I order are $4.50 a 5 pack if I order 10. Have not inquired about a 10 pack discount on these yet but will soon. Thats not even twice the cost maybe less if I can get a little more off buying in volume.

I did break my golden rule and went and paid $14 for a 5 pack at my local shop (first hardware purchase ever at a B&M) and at first they gave me the Nautilus coils and I had to go back and get the other ones. I showed them a picture on Sweet-Vapes where it said $7.95 to make sure I got the correct ones this time around. I specifically told them not the Nautilus coils but the standard Aspire BVC but should have looked there is a huge difference in the look and size.

If these stay kicking this good for more than a week-10 days then I will make the switch completely and my KPT coils will go in my "for a rainy day" box that keeps growing and growing.

Edited by bcartervol98

Another alternative is to use KPT dual coils, I use them in my Davide mini, and they work just fine. They are available from 1.8 ohm to 0.8 ohm. I'm not recommending them just saying they are a option, I have never tried the aspire BVC coil so don't know anything about them.

24 minutes ago, bcartervol98 said:

I thought there was a larger difference in the price but the ones I ordered are $7.95 for a 5 pack and the KPT coils I order are $4.50 a 5 pack if I order 10. Have not inquired about a 10 pack discount on these yet but will soon. Thats not even twice the cost maybe less if I can get a little more off buying in volume.

I did break my golden rule and went and paid $14 for a 5 pack at my local shop and at first they gave me the Nautilus coils and I had to go back and get the other ones. I showed them a picture on Sweet-Vapes where it said $7.95 to make sure I got the correct ones this time around. I specifically told them not the Nautilus coils but the standard Aspire BVC but should have looked there is a huge difference in the look and size.

If these stay kicking this good for more than a week-10 days then I will make the switch completely and my KPT coils will go in my "for a rainy day" box that keeps growing and growing.

$7.95 is excellent for those... I've paid as high as $15.95/5 for them before, and even online as high as $11.95/5, but I've not bought them lately as I'm buying Nautilus coils these days (when I'm not rebuilding them, that is).  The local B&M charges $3.50 each for the standard and Nautilus BVC, which IS 3x the price of a KPT, so that is more of my reference point when I say 3x the price, lol.  Not everyone buys online like we do :)

22 hours ago, Earthling789 said:
On 11/23/2015, 11:05:46, Tam said:

Interesting topic, B. Since I'm still using the KPT coils in mine, I want to hear what you think of these vertical coils.  :)

I am sort of amazed by them. For years I thought blowing the gurgle out of a coil and all over the place in terms of resistance accuracy was the norm. I thought a couple drops of liquid on my battery post when I changed tanks was the norm. After a couple days and 4 tanks of liquid through these I have now put the KPTs in my "for a rainy day" box. I want to punch myself I waited this long to try them. Definitely the best taste and performance from any tank-coil combination I have tried since starting vaping almost 3 years ago.

Edited by bcartervol98

1 hour ago, bcartervol98 said:

I am sort of amazed by them. For years I thought blowing the gurgle out of a coil and all over the place in terms of resistance accuracy was the norm. I thought a couple drops of liquid on my battery post when I changed tanks was the norm. After a couple days and 4 tanks of liquid through these I have now put the KPTs in my "for a rainy day" box. I want to punch myself I waited this long to try them. Definitely the best taste and performance from any tank-coil combination I have tried since starting vaping almost 3 years ago.

Well, things have changed and, even if you don't want to sub-ohm, you'll still find all kinds of new tanks and coils that will outperform the next best thing. Like you, when I find something that works I usually stick with it (HH.357), but that doesn't mean I won't try something different. The cost of the atomizers was the drawback. $20 a piece and only lasting about a week with my juice was putting a strain on finances so I've been looking for a replacement.

The version 2 of the Aspire Triton seems to have fixed the problems the first version had. I've been vaping it exclusively ever since I got it. The jury's still out because I'm a skeptic, but if this keeps performing the way it has, I'll be buying four or five more as back ups and won't need to stray for a while. The alternative tank part (Ronin) might be something to look into though. It holds more juice than the 3.5 ml Trition V2.

Even if you don't have plans to change, it's still fun to try new tanks. You might find something that works better (or just as well) so that if your favorite tank or parts start getting phased out, you won't have to do a frantic search for a replacement. Kind of a different take on having back ups.  :)

3 hours ago, Tam said:

if this keeps performing the way it has, I'll be buying four or five more as back ups and won't need to stray for a while

FYI Tam, VapeNW has listed the Triton2 on their Black Friday sale for $23.96.  I think I'll pick one up myself, but if you have $100 lying around, you could use it to pick up 4 and a box of coils :sofa:

48 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

FYI Tam, VapeNW has listed the Triton2 on their Black Friday sale for $23.96.  I think I'll pick one up myself, but if you have $100 lying around, you could use it to pick up 4 and a box of coils :sofa:

Thanks for the heads up! Is there a special coupon code I need to use or a sale date? According to their website, it's still listed at $39.99.

If you want the original Triton (with all of its various hiccups), GotVapes.com will have them for sale at $9.95 while supplies last. Sale starts at 4 pm Thursday.

7 minutes ago, Tam said:

Thanks for the heads up! Is there a special coupon code I need to use or a sale date? According to their website, it's still listed at $39.99.

If you want the original Triton (with all of its various hiccups), GotVapes.com will have them for sale at $9.95 while supplies last. Sale starts at 4 pm Thursday.

Here's the info... I'm assuming the $23 price will be after 20% discount... link is below, and sale lasts Friday through Monday or until they sell out of what's on-hand.  Nice to know on the GotVapes site... $10 for even a defective one is still a good price, and is cheaper than buying the replacement tank-section... too bad they don't come with the RBA decks like Kanger SubTanks do :(  That would be a sweet deal!

• Black Friday is just around the corner up so you know what that means! VAPE DEALS ON VAPE DEALS. VapeNW’s sitewide 20% off sale is active until the 30th of November. Order your device before someone else snags it up before you do! To access the 20% off code that is applied during checkout, click here.

9 minutes ago, Tam said:

Tam Sweet-Vapes has the Triton V2 for $29.99 I looked at it but am gonna stick with what I am using. They usually have a good holiday coupon code but I am not sure when-if it will happen or what all it will apply to.

I already feel like I have a new tank with these coils lol.

6 minutes ago, bcartervol98 said:

Tam Sweet-Vapes has the Triton V2 for $29.99 I looked at it but am gonna stick with what I am using. They usually have a good holiday coupon code but I am not sure when-if it will happen or what all it will apply to.

I already feel like I have a new tank with these coils lol.

Thanks, B. After a very unsatisfying encounter with Sweet-Vapes, I no longer do business with them. I'd rather pay more somewhere else.  :(

7 hours ago, Tam said:

Thanks, B. After a very unsatisfying encounter with Sweet-Vapes, I no longer do business with them. I'd rather pay more somewhere else.  :(

That still amazes me. Outside Amazon.com there has been no other more consistent online supplier of anything. Literally almost three years and dozens upon dozens of orders and never an  mistake outside getting the wrong thing once which they overnighted the replacement. Once I even got a $35battery in with my order that I didn't order and when I contacted them they insisted I keep it. I even offered to pay. Not sure what happened but I hate it because in my opinion they are the best out there without a close second lol.