Cleaned coils

kerk

Is it just me, or do 'cleaned coils' always lack the fire power they originally had?  I soak them twice in water, let them dry, then let them soak in rubbing alcohol, then let them dry. So they are pretty clean, but using them always gives a pull similar to having a low battery (as compared to a new coil). 

Also wonder if using them draws more power from my bats, as I find my self lengthening my pull trying to make up for the weak vapor.

Thoughts?

Soaking the coils doesn't always remove the gunk that builds up on the surface of the coil, and to me, the wicks seem to lose their ability to soak-up properly, after a while, especially silica wicks.

Are you talking about KPT or Nautilus coils, or something bigger like sub-tank coils?  Some people have had great luck with pulling the wicks from the subtank coils, dry-burn the gunk off, and re-wick with organic cotton... can really extend the life of them that way.  You can dry-burn a KPT coil and not damage the wick (unless you really pour the power to it), and that will help, too... but for the cost, either rebuild them, or toss them, rather than try to keep them alive beyond their time.

Depends on the coil. On my HH.357 I just rinse well with water then soak in vodka for 24 - 48 hours, rinse in water, put a little tissue inside to soak up the rest, take tissue out, dry burn in 3 second pulses to get rid of remaining gunk and it works like new.

KPT coils (1.8 ohm), I soak in vodka, let dry overnight, dry burn in 3 second pulses and reuse with no drop in performance the first one or two times doing this. After that, it starts to lose a little power and flavor.

I personally have had no luck dry burning a stock KPT coil, they always pop on me. I have found it best to just rebuild them and then dry burn and rewick as needed. Earthing is correct on the Aspire coils, pulling out the wick and then a good dry burn and rewicking works well. I would not use rubbing alcohol. I would use a cheap vodka as Tam mentions or PGA (Pure Grain Alcohol) instead. Rubbing alcohol can leave a residue that may not be good to vape.

I personally have had no luck dry burning a stock KPT coil, they always pop on me. I have found it best to just rebuild them and then dry burn and rewick as needed. Earthing is correct on the Aspire coils, pulling out the wick and then a good dry burn and rewicking works well. I would not use rubbing alcohol. I would use a cheap vodka as Tam mentions or PGA (Pure Grain Alcohol) instead. Rubbing alcohol can leave a residue that may not be good to vape.

I've not had any luck with dry-burning KPT coils either... even in short bursts... they either pop, or they just don't taste right.  Since I've bought them in bulk, even my dual-coils were only ~ $0.60 each, so I just toss them into my rebuild-box, and when I'm really bored I rebuild a few of them at a time, but I'd have no issues just tossing them either because they are cheap enough. 

I was using cheap Vodka to soak coils and tanks, but I found the local liquor store sells EverClear for the same price as their cheapest Vodka, so I've been using that, and it "cleans" better, with less residue... it makes a tank sparkle (after a good wash), and fully removes old juice flavors, too!

Next time I go to replenish my coil cleaner, I'll have to try EverClear. Thanks for the tip, Earthling!

Everclear is corn alcohol, Clear Spring is the same thing except its made from grain. In some states one is available but not the other. I use Clear Spring because its cheaper.

Everclear is corn alcohol, Clear Spring is the same thing except its made from grain. In some states one is available but not the other. I use Clear Spring because its cheaper.

Thanks, I think I'll look for both next time I'm in the liquor store.  :)

I "think" availability has to do with Federal gov't restrictions/regulations... enforced by the BATF (Bureau of All Things Fun)... Grain alcohol (Clear Springs) is available more in the mid-west and west-coast... Corn-based or potato-based alcohol is more east and south.  There are a few states where you can get both, however.  Oh, and some states regulate the strength (proof)... where you can get 190+ here, some states limit it to, say, 140-proof as maximum alcohol content (for example).

Both are available here, but some places limit the proof, can get 190 proof here. Do they still have dry counties in the south? I remember back in the 80s when I was a ironworker, we had a job in Danville KY,  we had to go to Lexington to buy stuff so we could have a beer after work.

Yes, plenty of "dry" counties here...   My county just voted to go wet this year, and the city council "compromised" by allowing only 3 liquor licenses... and one was bought by a group of churches to prevent anyone else from getting it :(  There is also only ONE bar license available, and they've had to jump through so many hoops, it may be 2020 before they get to open and serve the first drink!

Other counties (Madison) has restrictions where liquor can only be sold Mon-Sat, and only within city limits... no sales on Sunday, no sales out in the county.  Danville is no longer dry.  They now have a liquor sales all over town, and nearly every restaurant has a bar.  I can say, if I drive east or south, I would have to go 100 miles or more to get anything stronger than Pepsi :)

So, if you were in Danville, then perhaps you know about Ale-8-1?  Or as we refer to it here... "Winchester Swamp Water"?  That stuff is fantastic!

Never heard of it, I was only there for about 6 months, we were working at converting an old asylum into a prison. I guess during WW2 they used it for German POWs or something like that. It seemed to me even though it was a dry county nobody  seemed to care if we stocked up once a week or so, almost like it was illegal to buy but not illegal to have.

Yep, I know the place you are talking about... it's still in use as a prison today.

Ale-8-1 is a soft-drink... kinda close to Ginger-Ale, but with a sweet apple flavor that makes it very addictive :)  I'm surprised you never had the pleasure... if you did, you'd remember them, and probably craved one when I mentioned it, lol

Even the dry counties don't seem to care if you have it, or drink it... they just don't want you to buy it in their county... it's crazy, I know... One of the arguements for going wet here was "if you sell it here, people will buy it and take it home to drink, not buy it 30-miles away and be tempted to drink it on the way home, or go to a bar 30-miles away and drive home drunk".  Apparently that has been the case, because in the past 6 months (since opening the first liquor store), fewer DUI's have been issued, and the county/city tax-base has increased due to the sin-taxes imposed on liquor sales... go figure... logic escapes some people...

Oregon has strange liquor laws too. All the liquor stores here are owned by the state, and in order to sell liquor in bars they also have to serve food, most people don't buy the food but the law says it has to be available. Beer and wine can be bought in any grocery store or convenience store. I guess logic and government can't be used in the same sentence.  

Considering that alcohol kills as many people as smoking does..I'm not surprised that some counties in the U.S. are doing that. As far as they leave the wine alone I will be okay..love my white wine in the weekends.

Earthling, they still have Ski in KY? I spent a bit of time in the Campbelsville area 15-20 years ago, that stuff was better than Mtn Dew.

Yes, yes they do... Ski is a product of Double-Cola, out of Chattanooga TN, and is their own company (like Dr. Pepper).  It is carried locally anywhere you can get RC-Cola... RC is their local distributor here, at least.  And, yes, it is good stuff, and usually only $0.99/bottle.  You find it a lot in the south, but rarely above the Ohio river, and I've never seen it out west?

Edited by Earthling789