Help

Janzee

Welcome to VT!

Give us some more background, please...

Were you a smoker?  If so, for how long, and how many packs a day?
Have you vaped before?  What equipment did you use?
What is the PG/VG ratio of your juice?

25W may be the issue... some juices are harsh at that level of power.  Try a lower Wattage... say 10W, and bump it up a little if it is not enough... if you get a burnt flavor, you have it too high.

Hi thanks for the interest .I was a smoker before about 20 cigs a day  I smoked for 40+ years. I  have 50/50 juice,  at 6 mg. I have used and e CIG before but wanted to do this properly so I upgraded to subox mini

Thanks for the reply.

6mg is probably not the issue causing the cough, since you were a pack-a-day smoker, unless you were smoking ultra-lights and letting most of them burn in the ashtray.

Things to try...

Start with a fresh coil (I'd recommend the 1.2 Ohm coil)
Start with your Wattage down around 8-10Wa
Vape... if it is weak or very cool, bump up the Wattage in small increments... 0.1 - 0.5W
Vape... repeat
Once you start to get a slight burnt taste, back the Wattage down 0.1-0.5W
That is what we call the sweet-spot for that juice and coil combo.

There is no set-in-stone rule for X-Wattage, as every device and juice is different, as well as your tolerance levels.  Another good trick is to start your intake of a little air before you hit the fire-button, and stop firing before you complete your draw.  Another trick is to part your lips a little so you slip-stream a little air along with the vape.

If you stopped smoking recently (less than 6 months), I would recommend an even higher Nicotine level and staying with a coil 1.2 Ohms or higher... it will help you through the cravings.  18mg and a 1.5 Ohm coil did the trick for me, and I was nearly a 2-pack-a-day smoker for 30+ years.  I'm running 6mg now, and I've been vaping for nearly 18-months.... but nothing says you MUST lower nicotine levels... that's your choice to do so :)  Sub-ohming is not for everyone... so don't feel you have to keep up with the neighbors and only using the 0.2 or 0.5 Ohm coils.  Personally, I can't stand anything below 0.8 Ohm... too hot/harsh for my tastes.

Lastly... drink LOTS of water... vaping drys you out, and a lot of the cough can simply be caused by a dry throat/mouth.  Coffee, tea, beer, cola... not the solution... water is the ONLY way to go!

In my opinion the sub tank mini is a direct to lung tank and doesnt perform well as mouth to lung. 

Direct to lung likes lots of air. If you are not used to it, do a short blast with lots of air.

Mouth to lung you have to use higher resistance - 1.5 or above and close off that airflow.  It's tough because even with the lowest air setting the sub tank mini is pretty airy. 

Good luck

Could be the E-liquid...I remember having problems with a specific 50 / 50 one..I think the name was Prestige or something like that, it made me cough like mad, then I switched to a different one and I didn't cough again. No sure why some E-liquids do that..but my advice will be try a different one.

Welcome to Vapor Talk. You're getting a lot of good advice from Earthling and Bebop. I totally agree with Bebop that the Subtank is not a good tank for someone who draws mouth to lung (like when I was smoking cigarettes). That makes me cough up a lung, even using the 1.5 ohm coil. Still looking for a good sub ohm tank that's made for mouth to lung. Thought I'd found it but I haven't yet.  :(

Welcome to Vapor Talk. You're getting a lot of good advice from Earthling and Bebop. I totally agree with Bebop that the Subtank is not a good tank for someone who draws mouth to lung (like when I was smoking cigarettes). That makes me cough up a lung, even using the 1.5 ohm coil. Still looking for a good sub ohm tank that's made for mouth to lung. Thought I'd found it but I haven't yet.  :(

Maybe you need a 2.1 ohm coil..but with lower power..I been looking for that " perfect " mouth to lung tank too, and I think I got pretty close with the Iclear 30, but with lower power settings than most people will use.

Edited by cesar

Maybe you need a 2.1 ohm coil..but with lower power..I been looking for that " perfect " mouth to lung tank too, and I think I got pretty close with the Iclear 30, but with lower power settings than most people will use.

Tried the iClear 30 way back in the day and found it has too much wick (that's all I could taste), for me. There are other "perfect" mouth to lung tanks like the Kanger Pro Tanks and minis (one, two and three), the Davide and mini, Aerotank and Aerotank V2... but those are not sub ohm tanks. The sub ohm tank that allows for great mouth to lung hits is what I'm looking for now.  :)

Tried the iClear 30 way back in the day and found it has too much wick (that's all I could taste), for me. There are other "perfect" mouth to lung tanks like the Kanger Pro Tanks and minis (one, two and three), the Davide and mini, Aerotank and Aerotank V2... but those are not sub ohm tanks. The sub ohm tank that allows for great mouth to lung hits is what I'm looking for now.  :)

The aerotank is definitely better for taste, perfect for pipe smoking type of vaping...savor the flavour in your mouth and then exhale through your nose without a lung hit. But doesn't have the right kick for mouth to lung in my opinion.

Tam, have you tried the Lemo?  It's been a while since since I played with the airflow and I run the airflow wide open on mine, but even wide open it's a fairly tight draw.  Not KPT tight, but mouth-to-lung is primarily what I use it for.  I'd be happy to crank down the airflow tonight when I get home and report back on the lowest airflow setting.  Just a suggestion because I don't think you're going to find a sub ohm tank that has been released in the last few months that is going to be anything close to mouth to lung.

Did they change the STM airflow? On mine, it has a small, medium, medium + partial cyclop making it 2 medium holes, and then the cyclop slot... and double them since they are dual airflow control. On the smallest air hole, it is a very tight draw (for me anyways). It's as tight as an evod for me. Stock driptip is way too wide for a mtl draw though.

Tam, have you tried the Lemo?  It's been a while since since I played with the airflow and I run the airflow wide open on mine, but even wide open it's a fairly tight draw.  Not KPT tight, but mouth-to-lung is primarily what I use it for.  I'd be happy to crank down the airflow tonight when I get home and report back on the lowest airflow setting.  Just a suggestion because I don't think you're going to find a sub ohm tank that has been released in the last few months that is going to be anything close to mouth to lung.

No, haven't tried a Lemo, I'm just now getting into RTAs -- although Earthling has been trying to get me into them forever now. lol

Yes, please give it a try and report back. The Triton, when it works, was an excellent mouth to lung tank. It's got a few glitches to be fixed, however.  :(

The aerotank is definitely better for taste, perfect for pipe smoking type of vaping...savor the flavour in your mouth and then exhale through your nose without a lung hit. But doesn't have the right kick for mouth to lung in my opinion.

I love my Aerotanks, especially the V2's... and you can take lung-hits with them, but you have to slip-steam a little air past the drip-tip (which it is actually designed for that purpose, like the Russian 91% drip tips), or you can use an airflow adjustable drip tip, too. 

No, haven't tried a Lemo, I'm just now getting into RTAs -- although Earthling has been trying to get me into them forever now. lol

Yes, please give it a try and report back. The Triton, when it works, was an excellent mouth to lung tank. It's got a few glitches to be fixed, however.  :(

I knew you'd come around Tam!  But if you really want a good mouth-to-lung RTA, you gotta try a Russian or KFL+ (I prefer the V1's over the V2's), but the Russian's airflow adjustment is easier to adjust "on the fly".  The Lemo is another good one, too.  The Kayfun V4 (from Infinite) seems to have the problem of "floating resistance" fixed with heavier springs... at least the Infinite clone I have works better than the first one I bought (Asmodus clone?).

I love my Aerotanks, especially the V2's... and you can take lung-hits with them, but you have to slip-steam a little air past the drip-tip (which it is actually designed for that purpose, like the Russian 91% drip tips), or you can use an airflow adjustable drip tip, too. 

I knew you'd come around Tam!  But if you really want a good mouth-to-lung RTA, you gotta try a Russian or KFL+ (I prefer the V1's over the V2's), but the Russian's airflow adjustment is easier to adjust "on the fly".  The Lemo is another good one, too.  The Kayfun V4 (from Infinite) seems to have the problem of "floating resistance" fixed with heavier springs... at least the Infinite clone I have works better than the first one I bought (Asmodus clone?).

You finally wore me down, Earthling. Do your worst... or maybe best would be a better word choice?  I keep hearing you talk about the Russian. Authentic or clone? The V1 / V2, is that the KFL or Russian that you're referring to?

You finally wore me down, Earthling. Do your worst... or maybe best would be a better word choice?  I keep hearing you talk about the Russian. Authentic or clone? The V1 / V2, is that the KFL or Russian that you're referring to?

I have Authentic Russians, as well as clones.  The authentics are much more consistent, obviously, but not really much difference in the vape between a decent clone an the authentic, honestly.  Some of the clones from YiLoong (only clones to have the proper "russian 91%" stamp on the bottom) actually have better juice-flow because they updated the base with wider juice channels and larger air-flow chamber, but they do lack the refinement of the authentic :(  The Russian (authentic) also has adjustable 510 pins... not all clones have that.

The Kayfun Lite Plus (KFL+) is really good, too, I just don't care for the airflow adjustment on the bottom.  The V1 is a work-horse, and the V2 has a fancy drip-tip which prevents you from slip-streaming for full lung hits, but there are a few refinements over the V1 in juice-channels and better recessed fill-port.

Here's my daily line-up...

Left-to-right:  Authentic Russian 91%, Authentic Russian 91%, YiLoong Clone Russian 91%, AeroTank V2, Infinite Clone Kayfun V4

2015-07-30%2022.02.24_zpstzo3oftb.jpg

You can see the Clone Russian is slightly longer because it is based on the Kayfun-style tank and chimney, but has the same base as the Authentic Russians, and vapes exactly the same.

VaporDNA has the original V1 for under $90, and KidneyPuncher has the V2 for $60, which is an excellent price for the matte finish (no fingerprints or scratches show).  I bought mine from a local shop that was closing one of their locations and had them on close-out... I bought two V2's with updated 510 drip-tips for < $100 :)

Wow, just looked at MtBaker, and they have the V2's for $49.99 (matte) and $52.99 (polished)!

Edited by Earthling789

Oh, and lookie! I just happen to have a huge spool of A1 Kanthal in 28ga. It's looking good already. I also committed to memory Dragongunner's tutorial on wicking for RTAs so it should go fairly smoothly. *crosses fingers*