Let's Talk Temp Control

Bebop

Can anyone tell me why when i do a 13 wrap spaced 28g nickel build on my cloupor gt it keeps scorching my cotton.

Ohms out at 0.08 ohms...running 60 joules and 480 degrees.

I have had a lot of trouble making dual coils work well in TC.  It seems like if everything is not perfectly symetical you get hot spots.  That being said, yours seems to be burning pretty much where it should (or shouldn't) in the middle of the coil.

I know nothing about the Cloupor, but is there a way to lock the resistance?  I know that is a big thing with many mods.  If you don't lock it in at room temp it can cause it to run too hot or cool, not accurate at all. (some mods do not have this feature)

If that isn't the problem the only other real explanation would be that it is just not very accurate.  If you lower the temp to 400 or so and lower your joules does it work ok?

I just went and watched pieces of 2 different videos about that mod, and I want one now!  I think it would make a great home for my TFv4!  Great features, the auto mode, dual 18650 and 80 watts in TC!

It does have resistance lock, so let it cool to room temp, then put on the atty, push the up and down power buttons at the same time.  This should fix your problem.

No it does not have that feature on it.. and the first build i did running at 350 degrees and 40 joules did the same thing.

Correction jason i just found the resistance lock function...which is not in the manual...weird, when in tc mode hold up and down for five seconds and it seems to have worked.(i.e. consistant hits.)

No it does not have that feature on it.. and the first build i did running at 350 degrees and 40 joules did the same thing.

This stupid update...

I posted another reply, and it combined them...a good idea, but can really cause confusion.

I found a couple of videos and they do show the resistance lock.  Try letting it get to room temp, then put it in temp mode, screw on the atty, push up and down power buttons until it says the resistance is set (just like the ipvD2).  I think this will help.  I know on my 3 mods that have this feature, it does some crazy things if the resistance is not locked.  I have one that doesn't have the feature, but I think it sets it when it asks if it has a new atomizer.  If you put a hot atomizer on and say new...temps are way off!

I gotcha jason...the vids i watched said the same thing. Earlier i had to take the batts out and put them back in for the mod not to read low resistance on the same build. But now that i know how to lock it in i should be good to go. Thanks for the help buddy.

Any time!

Just keep us posted.  From what I see I really like the looks of this mod, and if the mini is nearly as good, it is going to be really hard to resist buying one of each.  I am trying to save money for some test equipment and a new charger...and new batteries, and on and on....But if you give this thing high marks, it may bump some of these "needs"

It is on manual...but the lowest this mod can fire is 0.08 from what i read in the manual. That is what this build was reading 0.08 ohms, but when i locked it came out to 0.114

Well now that i fixed this little hiccup jason, this mod is right on the money. High marks in my opinion, just cant do the review right now since i have to leave out on the road again tomorrow.

glad you got it sorted out. if you do give it high marks, pm jason. that way i'm not tempted. i'm already in hot water with the wifey. :lol:

i should be banned from browsing webstores.... and they should make pre-sale outlawed. lol

It is on manual...

I understand.

As men, at least most of us, we take it out of the box and it should work.

If it doesn't, we try the same thing again, at least 5 times.  If it still doesn't work, we throw it across the room and cuss at it.  If it is still functional after that, get mad, tell the wife about it.  She then reminds us to look for the directions...  This normally fixes the problem.

I actually have a mod, that I chocked up to being a POS, because it didn't do what I thought it should do.  Months later, I read I was doing it wrong...it works perfectly.  It was in the manual...that I never looked at.

glad you got it sorted out. if you do give it high marks, pm jason. that way i'm not tempted. i'm already in hot water with the wifey. :lol:

i should be banned from browsing webstores.... and they should make pre-sale outlawed. lol

I am in the same shape.  I actually refunded my last preorder, and will buy later, after the reviews.  I have been on a battery kick lately.  I have 6 more coming in Friday, and have 3 pairs of different ones in my cart, just waiting for me to press the button.

I am in the same shape.  I actually refunded my last preorder, and will buy later, after the reviews.  I have been on a battery kick lately.  I have 6 more coming in Friday, and have 3 pairs of different ones in my cart, just waiting for me to press the button.

You cancelled Cthulhu v2?  

Surprisingly I am still on my quarterly "allowed" budget, but my DIY and battery  purchases for re-stocking put me over the top. But that does not count since those last me a long, long time. That's all right, she got her shoes. haha

Great to have you doing battery testing. We'll have our own in-house expert soon. :thumbup:  

Surprisingly I am still on my quarterly "allowed" budget, but my DIY and battery  purchases for re-stocking put me over the top. But that does not count since those last me a long, long time. That's all right, she got her shoes. haha

Great to have you doing battery testing. We'll have our own in-house expert soon. :thumbup:  

I did.  I may regret it, but I have been chasing tanks, and none is doing better than my SauceCode with Herakles Ni200 coils.  I change the coil weekly and it just works.  I was enjoying the TFv4, but I think it it needs more power than my ipvD2 can provide.  I am still using the triple coil on the old ipv3 and making myself dizzy (at home)

I would like to do some testing.  I have been following Mooch's blog over on brand X's board and really like the way he does it.  It is the best independent testing I have seen to date, it is more "real world" when it comes to vaping.  I have a few more ideas that I think would make it even more accurate for vaping, but would take much longer.

It would probably take close to $2000 or so to build a good setup, so I will probably never do it.  I am looking at 2 logging charge/discharge units but one is $139 and the other is $199, and really they would only do 1 battery each.  I have been talking to a guy about building an audrino setup with 6 - 8 independent chargers (1A max) to log the long term capacity decrease.  Even doing a charge/discharge cycle daily...this could take months...

I have so many irons in the fire, and will be back on the road selling after the first of the year so I may just send some batteries to Mooch and have him do it (and possibly some cash) or give me 2 - 3 weeks and I will be on to something else...

Edited by jasonculp

Can anyone tell me why when i do a 13 wrap spaced 28g nickel build on my cloupor gt it keeps scorching my cotton.

Ohms out at 0.08 ohms...running 60 joules and 480 degrees.[/

Cotton has a flash point of 420°.

I did.  I may regret it, but I have been chasing tanks, and none is doing better than my SauceCode with Herakles Ni200 coils.  I change the coil weekly and it just works.  I was enjoying the TFv4, but I think it it needs more power than my ipvD2 can provide.  I am still using the triple coil on the old ipv3 and making myself dizzy (at home)

I would like to do some testing.  I have been following Mooch's blog over on brand X's board and really like the way he does it.  It is the best independent testing I have seen to date, it is more "real world" when it comes to vaping.  I have a few more ideas that I think would make it even more accurate for vaping, but would take much longer.

It would probably take close to $2000 or so to build a good setup, so I will probably never do it.  I am looking at 2 logging charge/discharge units but one is $139 and the other is $199, and really they would only do 1 battery each.  I have been talking to a guy about building an audrino setup with 6 - 8 independent chargers (1A max) to log the long term capacity decrease.  Even doing a charge/discharge cycle daily...this could take months...

I have so many irons in the fire, and will be back on the road selling after the first of the year so I may just send some batteries to Mooch and have him do it (and possibly some cash) or give me 2 - 3 weeks and I will be on to something else...

I stalk mooch's and bad's posts over there. I would not know where to begin testing nor do I have the desire to invest in scopes and such. But I have utmost respect for those who do independent testing and share their findings within the community.

I know what you mean. Searching for RTA suitable for TC and easy to build on can be a little OCD. :P I streamlined my RTAs, and limiting it to TFV4 (stay at home) and Uwell Crown. The rest I pif'd or sold. I am well past 2nd week on stock Ni coil on Crown. I agree, TFV4 needs higher wattage mod, especially when using triple and quad coils. Single RBA is ok with D2. I have not yet tried their dual TC coils but they are on the way. If they last as long as the triple and quad, then I would not mind stocking their coils when they go on sale. They're handy when traveling or simply too lazy to build.

I stalk mooch's and bad's posts over there. I would not know where to begin testing nor do I have the desire to invest in scopes and such. But I have utmost respect for those who do independent testing and share their findings within the community.

I know what you mean. Searching for RTA suitable for TC and easy to build on can be a little OCD. :P I streamlined my RTAs, and limiting it to TFV4 (stay at home) and Uwell Crown. The rest I pif'd or sold. I am well past 2nd week on stock Ni coil on Crown. I agree, TFV4 needs higher wattage mod, especially when using triple and quad coils. Single RBA is ok with D2. I have not yet tried their dual TC coils but they are on the way. If they last as long as the triple and quad, then I would not mind stocking their coils when they go on sale. They're handy when traveling or simply too lazy to build.

I guess I am just getting lazy.  I really like the ease of pulling one coil out and popping in another.  I also just like my old tank.  It isn't for everyone, but it works good for me.  I may give the TFV4 another shot this weekend with a normal (not twisted) Ni200 build.

I do want a logging charger.  I am really curious what is going on with my batteries, but the single cell thing is a deal breaker for me, unless it is just a test battery.  I currently charge 10 a week just for my D2 and 2 pair for my ipv3 (I don't use it very often)  I am shopping chargers because I just need more capacity, but I am stuck.  I can pick up a new Xtar that charges at 1A per slot, or 2 Nitecores that charge at .375 - .5 per slot...  It would cost about the same.

Luc V4? Will charge 4 at 1 amp or 2 at 2 amps. I love mine.

I was actually looking at getting an XTAR XP4.  I may just buy 2 nitecore i4's.  That will let me charge 12 at once.  I normally only charge on the weekend.  I charge 4  saturday, and 4 sunday, then a couple during the week (in pairs so they charge faster)  I have been so busy, and I don't charge unattended, so it limits my options.

Efest has 6-bay charger - LUC BLU6. That may work best for your needs and time constraint. Although, I do remember (if I recall correctly) that it has a max 4A charging, but it does 2 slots @ 2A. But getting 2 i4's may be cheaper

I like XTAR personally. I use VP4, and VC4 (pulls double duty for my eneloop cells)

Efest has 6-bay charger - LUC BLU6. That may work best for your needs and time constraint. Although, I do remember (if I recall correctly) that it has a max 4A charging, but it does 2 slots @ 2A. But getting 2 i4's may be cheaper

I like XTAR personally. I use VP4, and VC4 (pulls double duty for my eneloop cells)

I saw the new 6 bay Efest.  It does look cool.  I like the Bluetooth, but I would probably only use it once.  I guess it could be nice, my charger is in my office and I am usually in the den I have already charged over a dozen cells since yesterday.

I have looked at a few hobby chargers, and I am seriously thinking about getting a iCharger 208b.  I could charge up to 8 in a series using balance cables.  It would also allow me to do some single cell logging.  I just don't know if it is worth the extra $160 or so.  It would come in handy if I get into something that uses lipo packs, which is very likely, I just don't know what it is yet.

I saw the new 6 bay Efest.  It does look cool.  I like the Bluetooth, but I would probably only use it once.  I guess it could be nice, my charger is in my office and I am usually in the den I have already charged over a dozen cells since yesterday.

I have looked at a few hobby chargers, and I am seriously thinking about getting a iCharger 208b.  I could charge up to 8 in a series using balance cables.  It would also allow me to do some single cell logging.  I just don't know if it is worth the extra $160 or so.  It would come in handy if I get into something that uses lipo packs, which is very likely, I just don't know what it is yet.

You know what they say, time is money. So it may be worth it to you since you may be using it for Lipos. :)

I did go looking for one since I am getting Whiteout DNA, but after seeing the prices for those chargers, I decided to wait on it, and borrow my nephew's insterad since he is heavily vested in drones. If I end up not liking the DNA200, I can sell it quickly and not get stuck with a charger.

I am still on fence on Lipos. I know current mods are limited with Li-ion, and Lipos are the next step forward. But I have way too much '650s. I am tempted to play with drones though. haha And that is what I will end up doing once I get a charger. So I am holding back on it for as long as I can. lol

You know what they say, time is money. So it may be worth it to you since you may be using it for Lipos. :)

I did go looking for one since I am getting Whiteout DNA, but after seeing the prices for those chargers, I decided to wait on it, and borrow my nephew's insterad since he is heavily vested in drones. If I end up not liking the DNA200, I can sell it quickly and not get stuck with a charger.

I am still on fence on Lipos. I know current mods are limited with Li-ion, and Lipos are the next step forward. But I have way too much '650s. I am tempted to play with drones though. haha And that is what I will end up doing once I get a charger. So I am holding back on it for as long as I can. lol

They do make quality lipo chargers in the $50 range.  I just seems when I find one I like it costs $129 and still needs a separate power supply.

I am probably getting by good enough.  It would be nice to get another charger, and a few more cells.

It would come in handy if I get into something that uses lipo packs, which is very likely, I just don't know what it is yet.

Drones are really fun. Been playing with my nephew's for over a month. But I really do not want to go into another hobby. On the other hand, it would be so cool to check for vape mail. :wacko:

They do make quality lipo chargers in the $50 range.  I just seems when I find one I like it costs $129 and still needs a separate power supply.

I am probably getting by good enough.  It would be nice to get another charger, and a few more cells.

I am the same way. That is why I do not want to get into it. At least not yet. I'll wait until  2nd gen lipo mods... if I am still into vaping then. 

Squid said LUC V4 does 1A on all 4 slots. Maybe a better option for you with your limited time?

Drones are really fun. Been playing with my nephew's for over a month. But I really do not want to go into another hobby. On the other hand, it would be so cool to check for vape mail. :wacko:

I am the same way. That is why I do not want to get into it. At least not yet. I'll wait until  2nd gen lipo mods... if I am still into vaping then. 

Squid said LUC V4 does 1A on all 4 slots. Maybe a better option for you with your limited time?

I really don't need another hobby either.  I have about settled on just getting another 4 or possibly 6 bay charger.  I will wait until next week and see how much is left over (if any)  I really want to try out a few different batteries so it is making my budget a little tight...

I went ahead and reordered.  I am not sure if it was a good idea, but I did it.

I am still chasing the "perfect" tank.  From early reviews, I doubt this is it, but it might be a small step up from what I am using.

I am also seeing the TFV4 Mini is fixing to hit the market....It could be interesting.  I sure like the 22mm better than the 25mm.