Its antifreeze!

Glocknug

I was recently using my device when somebody close to me looked and told me I was sucking in antifreeze!

According to them, PG is antifreeze. I told them that PG was used in toothpaste and cosmetic products, and it didn't register... For the rest of the night we just kept passin around the antifreeze!

I have found it is nearly impossible to convince people who don't want to know that they are wrong.

Ethylene glycol is the active ingredient in most automotive antifreeze.

Propylene glycol is an antifreeze. It is not used in automotive applications because it is corrosive when it is oxidized. It is used in water systems where Ethylene glycol is would be too toxic. Of course it is used in many different foods for this purpose and as a solvent to carry drugs into your system. It is generally considered non toxic. (Anything is toxic in high enough concentration)

Polyethylene glycol 3350 is a laxitive...

Propylene is a hydrocarbon that is created from refining oil and natural gas.

Propolene is a dietary fiber.

Just because it sounds the same...sure doesn't mean it is the same. I sucked at chemistry in school. Now I have to use it daily.

*Edited because the marked through section is not completely correct. PG can produce acid when heat and oxygen are introduced. It is used in "safe antifreeze" but usually contains buffering agents.

Edited by jasonculp

The bad thing is... This person that told me this is a reporter, and they said they did research on the subject for a story...

That does not surprise me! I have been involved in 2 plane crashes, and 1 industrial accident. Some were reported locally and one was national. If they would have left out the location details and dates, I would have never been able to tell they were talking about the same accident. Recently there was another plane crash near me. I was watching it on the news. They had an expert tell his guestimate of what had happened. I was screaming at the television, because there expert didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I could see the wreckage in the background and he had the engine type wrong. Don't get me wrong, the average person couldn't tell the difference between a turbine engine and piston engine, but an expert could tell just by the blades on the bent propeller....

I do not put a lot of stock in what reporters say, because they are human, and humans "missremember", and inject their own bias on any situation. I am just as guilty as they are, I am human too. The only difference is I am not an expert, or a reporter.

I keep getting the "you're gonna get pneumonia" thing.

It's possible that the 2 friends I know got pneumonia from Vaping. But that doesn't mean everyone will. Some people can't eat bread or drink milk, that doesn't mean everyone else will have the same problem.

I'm also to wonder if those that do end up with pneumonia take deep inhales into the lungs consistently enough and also smoke on top of Vaping. So they don't give thier lungs a break.

I keep getting the "you're gonna get pneumonia" thing.

It's possible that the 2 friends I know got pneumonia from Vaping. But that doesn't mean everyone will. Some people can't eat bread or drink milk, that doesn't mean everyone else will have the same problem.

I'm also to wonder if those that do end up with pneumonia take deep inhales into the lungs consistently enough and also smoke on top of Vaping. So they don't give thier lungs a break.

I have got pneumonia twice in the last 2 years. I have terrible allergies and sometimes I don't realize I am actually sick until it too late. This year my lungs have been great! It is so much better, my doctor commented on it.

I debated this for a bit with this person, not only the antifreeze part, but reporting in general. Some things aren't worth debating because its clear some people aren't capable of changing their minds.

The funny thing is, from the post above, we discussed plane crashes in reporting. I have my pilots license. Almost every report you see or hear says the plane stalled... Rarely causes the crash!

We talked about getting the entire story, instead of one side. They said they only report what they have if the other side is unwilling or unable to give their side (ie law enforcement investigations and/or shootings etc). Just goes to show... Be careful what you believe when the news tells it

I always ask for the raw data, show me your research....

The biggest threat here i not whether its antifreeze or not, it is the skill levelintegrity of reporters (talking heads) spreading mis information or reporting it in a biased format. Remember its all about rating or paper sales. If you can report all the facts then dont report anyhting, cause you did your job half ***.

I have got this statement a lot.

This is my response to people that say this:

"It is true that PG is used as an "Ingredient" in antifreeze. It was used as a substitute for other things more harmful to the environment and make it somewhat safer. Having said that, it is also used as the main ingredient in Cough Syurp, Does that mean then we are drinking Antifreeze every time we use Robitussin? No it means that PG is safe for human consumption. As a matter of fact it is also in many other items we eat and drink. Does this mean all these Items contain Antifreeze? You ever hear of Fluoride? The fluoride they put in water and in toothpaste is more harmful and is considered toxic if swallowed. Please do your research."

My favorite quote from the online article 'There’s Antifreeze in ‘em: 7 e-Cigarette Myths Debunked':

The Myth: Kids like things that taste good. Flavored e-Cigarettes taste good. Therefore, e-cigarettes are targeted at kids.

But really: Tim Allen used that logic once in his stand-up act: "God is love, love is blind, Stevie Wonder is God".

1280px-Stevie_Wonder_2.jpg?resize=300%2C

Hey, Comp? It could be because I'm still working on my first cup of coffee but isn't our tap water treated with fluoride? Why would it be put in water if it were toxic if swallowed?

Pure Fluoride IS toxic, but the volume mixed with tap water is "considered safe"... HOWEVER, water treatment plants have (quite often) exceeded the safe limits in their additives over the past 50 years, and caused untold numbers of illnesses and trips to the ER by people that drink tap-water by the gallon.

BTW, the only reason Fluoride is put into tap water is because of a huge push by the ADA and Health Departments to reduce childhood tooth decay and gingivitis (you know, because it's for the children):

In 1962, based on scientific studies showing that fluoride reduces tooth decay, the U.S. Public Health Service recommended the amount of fluoride in drinking water range from 0.7 to 1.2 milligrams per liter. Scientists set the range by taking into account different levels of children's fluid intake according to the average annual temperature in different regions of the United States—less fluoride was added in warmer, southern climates where it was believed that people drank more water, and more was added in cooler, northern climates where it was believed that people drank less.

Adults exposed to excessive consumption of fluoride over a lifetime may have increased likelihood of bone fractures, and may result in effects on bone leading to pain and tenderness. For effects to teeth, children are most likely to be affected by excessive exposure to fluoride because it impacts teeth while they are still in formative phases. Children aged 8 years and younger exposed to excessive amounts of fluoride have an increased chance of developing pits in the tooth enamel, along with a range of cosmetic effects to teeth. For prevention of tooth decay, the beneficial effects of fluoride extend throughout the life span. - Extracted from CDC website

(So, to me, it seems like a tin-foil-hat conspiracy by the ADA and HHS to ensure prolonged tooth and bone issues over decades - i.e. "job security")

The problem is that today people are bombarded by Fluoride in everything they consume, and it is estimated that we intake 400-1000% more than the recommended volume daily. Thus, the push to reduce the volumes of Fluoridation by water companies, as well as drink bottlers and food processors!

I've had so many people try to tell me I'm "smoking antifreeze". It's just a minor annoyance at this point because I enjoy educating people, but I always get hit with those comments at the worst possible time. The last guy who said something caught me in a really bad mood, but I slowed down and told him "The chemical you're referring to (propylene glycol) is simply an ingredient in SOME antifreezes. And it only is because it lowers the freezing point of water. It's generally considered to be non-toxic, and if I WERE vaping it I would have absolutely no issue. But My juices are all Max VG or Vegetable Glycerin. Now, when you have some sort of evidence suggesting that Vegetable Glycerin is going to kill me, come talk to me. But until then, **** off!"

He couldn't get another word in after his initial comment and being the large person that I am, I'm sure he was a bit intimidated when I expressed my anger. He may also have been shocked at the informed response. :)

Hey, Comp? It could be because I'm still working on my first cup of coffee but isn't our tap water treated with fluoride? Why would it be put in water if it were toxic if swallowed?

Ask the FDA and our Government. They started doing this under the thought that it helps teeth from getting cavities. Take a look at the link I put in the post Tam. It is really nasty stuff. It has been showen to do nothing except make you sick and cause a bunch of health issues.