Kayfun V4 Review

Earthling789

Okay, I received my Kayfun V4 (AMOD Clone) today, and here's my initial impressions, and review after the first 6-hours with it....

Unboxing -

The box, paperwork, even the "100% Genuine Svoemesto" seal make the clone look authentic. The only thing missing was the authentication scratch-off... that is, if the original even has one?

The Kayfun looks beautiful! It is well machined, smooth lines and looks sexy. It is also HEAVY!

The kit includes spare o-rings, screws, silver-plated spring, polycarbonate M-tank, REAL glass insert, and a couple of pre-wrapped 32ga coils over silica wick. They even included a key-chain screwdriver (instead of the crappy blue ones) :)

Inspection -

Machining of all parts is superb! All threads are clean and smooth. No sharp edges or rough-spots like typically found on clones. All o-rings are snug-fit, no burs, or irregularities.

Initial Build -

Even though this deck has 4 posts/screws, it is DESIGNED for SINGLE-COILS. The additional screws are to aid in mounting, using diagonal posts, to accommodate both clockwise and counter-clockwise wound coils. Yes, you can build dual-coils on it, but the deck is still small, so keep that in mind.

I built a 28ga, 1.4 Ohm coil for my first build. There are warnings in the manual to not go below 1.0 Ohm, I assume because you could damage/melt the insulators? So, if you plan to try dual-coil, keep that in mind.

I found my first issue with the deck screws... the heads are TINY, so I had some difficulty working the 28ga wire under the heads and getting them tight. Smaller wire may work better, but if you're planning to use 26 or larger gauge wire, you may want to invest in tiny washers?

There is no top-chimney to attach, so you can wick the coil with the lower chimney/shield in place (kinda nice). Stuffing the cotton down onto the deck to cover the juice ports is much easier on the V4, because the entire deck is a tiny bit wider, and the ports are taller, so there is less depth to cover.

Assembly of the tank is a breeze since there is one nut at the top, and you can get a good grip on the entire tank body to tighten things together. Insert the deck on the bottom and screw it snug.

Here's the tricky part... closing the juice flow required the use of a tiny screwdriver inserted into one of the holes to use as a prybar to break it loose the first time... after that, it was much easier to work with. Now that it is closed, pop the screw portion which holds the drip-tip, and fill the tank. Re-attach the drip-tip section and open the juice flow... a few dry-drags on the tank, and the cotton is properly saturated (if you didn't pre-saturate).

Out of the box, the air-flow control was wide-open, and after a couple of good hits on the tank (at 12W) I ended up with a dry hit and fried my cotton... NO PROBLEM... Turn it upside down, remove the deck, re-wick, re-attach the deck and you're ready to go again in 90-seconds. Try that with a full tank on an older Kayfun/Russian :)

To adjust the air-flow, you have to remove the 510 connection pin... don't worry, it's not attached to the deck! Pop out the 510 pin (and insulator if your screwdriver is not small enough), and insert a tiny flat-head screwdriver... you'll find the air-flow control screw up there! Take a few drags on the tank while you adjust the screw... once you have it set where you want it, re-assemble the 510 connection pin (don't forget the insulator!!!).

Conclusion -

Overall, I give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

I would like it if the juice-flow-control section had a better grip, but it is getting easier to work with, even after a few hours. I would also like the air-flow control screw to be more accessible, but once you set it where you want it, you'll likely not be needing to adjust very often.

Flavor is exactly what you'd expect from a Kayfun/Russian style tank. I find little difference between the V4 and my Russian 91% when using the same juice, same Ohm coil, and same Wattage settings. So, no, there is no "wow factor"...

I do like the adjustable 510 pin

I do like the fact I can fill the tank without needing a screwdriver or needle-tip bottle

I do like the fact I can turn off the juice-flow to eliminate leakage when not being used or being transported

I do like the fact this tank does NOT whistle

I do like the additional screws/posts on the build-deck to accommodate more than your standard coil builds

I do love the fact I can get to the build-deck without having to drain the tank and make a mess

Bottom line is that this RTA is a winner in my book, and if you are tired of dealing with tools to fill and adjust your older Kayfun/Russian RTA's, you may want to consider stepping up to this model. If you've been thinking about getting an RTA, but were on the fence because they are "hard to learn"... this RTA will change your mind quickly!

I'm currently using it with my IPV-mini. I've ran it at 12-14W, which seems to be a sweet-spot for my juice, but it's a little cool. 18W is a better vape (heat/cloud), but decreases the flavor.

I tried it on my iStick, but it just looks/feels awkward on such a tiny APV :)

I'm sure it would fire and look great on my Copper Penny, but I've not taken the time to adjust the contacts/pins to have it seat properly on it, plus, I've really grown accustomed to the VW APV's for consistent Wattage, rather than constantly decreasing Voltage on the mechanical...

The glass section of mine is picture-perfect... smooth edges (fired/polished), perfectly square, and zero blemishes. Switching to the glass over the steel only loses about 0.1ml too :)

The M-tank (polycarbonate) looks a little thin, and is shorter, so you loose capacity when using it. IIRC, capacity on the M-tank is only ~ 3ml?

Thanks for the added info about your mod Earthling. Telling me the watts you are using also makes me feel safe for the vtr I'm still wanting. Just gonna have to wait for the tax refund it seems...God I want to quit smoking so bad!!! I just can't seem to hang it up with these pen batterys...

Thanks for the added info about your mod Earthling. Telling me the watts you are using also makes me feel safe for the vtr I'm still wanting. Just gonna have to wait for the tax refund it seems...God I want to quit smoking so bad!!! I just can't seem to hang it up with these pen batterys...

The V4 is too wide for the side-mount of the VTR, so you'll be forced to use the extension tube and mount it on top. Honestly, for the price (and weight of the VTR), I would suggest an iStick 30W, IPV-mini 30W, or something similar for a V4 (or any RTA), if you want a regulated box-style device. The VTR is limited to 15W, and is a GOOD device, but it is, IMO, an outdated device that serves it's purpose best as a bullet-proof work-horse for standard tank sizes from Innokin/Kanger. And, as Tam always says... it makes a great personal-defense object if thrown at an attacker :)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines