True Grit and 3:10 To Yuma

I'm a huge western buff, I own dozens of John Wayne movies and think True Grit is his best work (obviously he won an Oscar for it) but I think the remake is better...I also think that the remake of 3:10 To Yuma is better as well.

Russell Crowe is awesome in just about everything he's ever been in!

Although I'm partial to Wayne's war films and I also enjoy The High and the Mighty I have to name The Searchers and True Grit as my favorite westerns from him. If we go modern, I gotta go Unforgiven, Tombstone, The Quick and the Dead, - I thought Costner pulled it off in Open Range

Hubs absolutely is a western fan also. Me, not so much. But, I have had to watch them for 32 years! Gun Smoke is his favorite. I think he's close to seeing all of those over 20 years of episodes!

I will say Yuma is a good movie though.

Deanna

They show Gunsmoke/Marshal Dillon every day on Encore Westerns at about 5pm EST. Two half hour episodes followed by an hour episode.

I try to catch it every day. Great show! :)

Rio Bravo and El Dorado are two of my favorites from that Wayne era. Howard Hawkes really knew how to make Wayne shine.

Red River with Clift is good, too.

Edited by The Bone Slummer

If you could see any Western remade, which would you pick?

I think that the Man With No Name trilogy should be off-limits...no one should ever touch th em!

That being said, I wouldn't mind a remake of High Noon, I think with some of today's acting technique and some of today's directors, the tension that movie is all about could be really done well. I'd also like to see a good remake of Gregory Peck's The Gunfighter. Maybe Shane, too.

Also, a modern western I forgot to mention as one of my favorites: Appaloosa. "Mr. 8-Guage" is a total badass!

Edited by The Bone Slummer

Love that movie Joejoe. :)

It's really on the outskirts of being a western but have you guys seen Bad Day at Black Rock? Love Spencer Tracy in this movie and the supporting cast, including Earnest Borgnine is outstanding.

I'm a really get tin' the itch to change my avatar now....