Thoughts on vaping around children?

The jury is still out on that one, but it could be determined quite easily by getting someone to exhale a few times into a gas-chromatograph and simply measure it... but that would be too easy for our government nannies to do :D

Seriously, if you worry about it, don't do it, and you'll sleep better at night. It's that simple....

One thing I can tell you is that vaporized nicotine is absorbed quickly by the soft-tissue of your mouth, tongue, throat and lungs. My best (scientific/medical) guess is that the vast majority of nicotine from each "hit" is absorbed by the body, and VERY little makes it back out into the atmosphere on exhale.

Also, if your kids eat tomatoes, eggplants, cauliflower, green peppers (and scores of other fruits/vegetables) they are ingesting natural nicotine (in very small quantities).... Nicotine is a naturally occurring insecticide, produced by the plants, themselves... perfectly natural, perfectly safe, perfectly NORMAL!

I'd worry far more about my kids or animals getting in to my raw juices, than any nicotine they'd pick up second-hand from my vaping... which is why all my juices are kept on a higher-shelf in my office... away from the dogs and any young children (not that any are running through my house these days).

Like I said, I've no proof on how much nicotine is exhaled, but knowing what I do know about absorption rates of nicotine in the body... it has to be very little. Second-hand smoke does contain a lot of crap, but even the CDC and FDA don't list nicotine as a major by-product of second-hand smoke (it's way down the list), so I'd worry far less about vaping around little ones than smoking around them... by comparison. I'm not advocating doing it, just saying I'd worry less about, compared to smoking.

I cannot do it. They saw it once or twice and it was a new thing to them they were interested in. Kids are curious. I try to do it away from them now. And although I vape 0mg (wife vapes 12mg) we still feel it is best for them not to be influenced.

I'm of a different mind-set, I guess. Children are more curious about things that are "hidden" from them, so the more you hide, the more curious they become. My children were brought up around all kinds of dangers, yet they were never hidden from them (farm implements, machinery, tractors, motorcycles, knives, guns, bow/arrow, smoking, etc.), they know and understand the dangers around them. Which is one of the reasons I finally stopped smoking... for my kids (as much as me)... they understood the danger and how bad it is for you, and I realized what a horrible example I had become for them by telling them, "do as I say, not as I do".

But back to hiding things from kids... I find that kids are more likely to "play with matches" if they have no idea what they are for, and if they are hidden away in the back of a cabinet. Sure, kids should be protected from dangers, but I don't believe in feeding their curiosity by hiding anything from them.... but that's just me :D

I feel the same about hiding things from my son Earthling. I try to protect him as much as possible but without hiding anything from him. I want to expose him to the dangers in life but in ways that are safe or in a safe learning environment. Keeping things hidden from children just toys with their curiosity (children are curious by nature) and puts fuel on the flames so to speak, leaving more chance for them to try something when you are not around.

That being said I vape around my son but make sure to blow the vapor in a direction away from him.

The comments above are my opinion only (and sometimes vary from my wife). I respect others opinions to feel otherwise though.

I vape around my kids. They all know that I do this to not smoke cigarettes. They are the ones that encourage me to vape and not go back to analogs so they have a Dad longer. The youngest has asked about it and I have told her that this is something Dad is doing so he don't smoke real cigarettes. I tell her that it is not only safer for Dad, but safer for those around him. I do not blow it their face and if driving, always crack the window. If I don't the vapor blocks my view of the road too. LOL

I vape around the kids, I used to miss out on a lot when I was outside smoking, but now I vape right there with them. In the car, on short trips I don't chain vape just to cloud chase or anything, and I have to crack the window too so I can see out.

I go eat lunch twice a week at school with my kids and do smoke tricks in the cafeteria. OK The last sentence was totally made up, scared ya though ;)

I vape around my kids. They all know that I do this to not smoke cigarettes. They are the ones that encourage me to vape and not go back to analogs so they have a Dad longer. The youngest has asked about it and I have told her that this is something Dad is doing so he don't smoke real cigarettes. I tell her that it is not only safer for Dad, but safer for those around him. I do not blow it their face and if driving, always crack the window. If I don't the vapor blocks my view of the road too. LOL

Me too, actually my son (9) was a huge influence on me starting vaping. I have never hidden anything from my son and he is anything but sheltered lol. As I told my friend on the lake this weekend that wanted to know if it is ok to get my son to grab him a beer as if it were somehow wrong.

Like i have said many times on here, when I went to college and even today as my friends kids go to college the ones that go the wildest are those that never experienced anything and learned how to do things in a responsible way. I think kids are far too sheltered these days.

With that said I am a "regular" vaper. I do not cloud chase or play with Mods. I just vape to not smoke cigarettes and thats it. Even as a scout leader vaping does not violate the "no tobacco" policy at camps and outings.

Edited by bcartervol98

Even as a scout leader vaping does not violate the "no tobacco" policy at camps and outings.

I just found that out at the pre-camp meeting last week :) Summer camp is coming up in less than two weeks, and the District Commissioner saw me vaping outside the office, waiting for the meeting to start, so he brought it up during the meeting. Smoking is not allowed at any District, National, or Regional function per BSA policy, and we don't allow it at our Troop-level camp-outs/hikes/outings either... which is hard since two of the Assistant Scoutmasters are chain-smokers, lol... but I'm working hard on them to get them to convert! Maybe once they see me enjoying my gear at summer camp, they'll be a bit more open to giving it a try?

I just found that out at the pre-camp meeting last week :) Summer camp is coming up in less than two weeks, and the District Commissioner saw me vaping outside the office, waiting for the meeting to start, so he brought it up during the meeting. Smoking is not allowed at any District, National, or Regional function per BSA policy, and we don't allow it at our Troop-level camp-outs/hikes/outings either... which is hard since two of the Assistant Scoutmasters are chain-smokers, lol... but I'm working hard on them to get them to convert! Maybe once they see me enjoying my gear at summer camp, they'll be a bit more open to giving it a try?

I know I have educated everyone I have met especially at council events and same here. Smokers are hating life while I am vaping away.

I know I have educated everyone I have met especially at council events and same here. Smokers are hating life while I am vaping away.

Kind of secretly, this was one of the reasons I started vaping actually, a sort of catalyst. We went on the Cub Scout district "Cub-o-ree" (not sure of spelling) and I didn't know about the no tobacco policy. Many years ago, when I was a boy scout, my scout leader was a smoker and smoked black and mild knock off cigars, forget the name, and they were probably around before black and milds.

Anyway, I got in big trouble for lighting up on the hiking trail. No kids were around, I didn't want to smoke in front of them, but didn't know it was no smoking, even around adults, just was being courteous.

By the end of the cub jamboree weekend, we had gotten to know a lot of the other parents and scout leaders, and I was asked if I would help lead the pack this coming year. I thought about it and said I wouldn't in official duty but would still work and help out just as much, just without the title. The sole reason for this was because of my smoking, having learned it wasn't allowed at all at the district events.

So that being said, you guys are able to vape with the other people around knowing and they aren't pitching immortal fits about it? That's great news. I know every place, troop, district, and bunch of people is different, but it gives me hope at least.

Oh, I'm sure there will be someone to pitch a fit, but then again, there are those that raise the roof if you're drinking out of the wrong color water-bottle, or sleeping with your head on the wrong end of a "square" tent :D Not everyone can be pleased.... but, at least vaping is perfectly fine on Scouting events (at least for now). The only thing our Commissioner suggested is that we continue to be courteous of others, and refrain from "cloud-chasing".

Oh, I'm sure there will be someone to pitch a fit, but then again, there are those that raise the roof if you're drinking out of the wrong color water-bottle, or sleeping with your head on the wrong end of a "square" tent :D Not everyone can be pleased.... but, at least vaping is perfectly fine on Scouting events (at least for now). The only thing our Commissioner suggested is that we continue to be courteous of others, and refrain from "cloud-chasing".

Lol you're right about that Earthling. Gotta love the types that will gripe just to hear themselves talk. I learned on our first camping trip, as long as its a "mom's allowed" scouting weekend, the woman whose opinion matters is the one that sleeps next to me. But I do want to be in regulation by the book so I'm glad to know that.

FYI, I still haven't heard the end of how hard the ground was when I made her leave the air mattress at home so our boy wasn't a wimp. Next time, I'll bring a dang motor home if she requests it. Every fight we get in ends in "I'm cranky because of my arthritis I have because of YOU not letting me have an air mattress on that camping trip. And NO don't say it's softball. And get your damn juice off my shelf."

Edited by charliestheman

I vape around my kids but generally not in an environment that's closed off. I tell them it's medicine. The reason for this isn't because I want to lie to them but because my daughter is 4 and my son is 2 while smart, they're both too young to understand what Nicotine is and why as adults we use it. (I enjoy the vice!) I do this to ensure if they come across my e cigarette when I'm not around, they don't try it themselves for their own safety. (They'd probably try to take a huge whiff without pushing the button and end up with a mouth full of e liquid. Not good) They both know that medicine is a good thing but can be harmful if too much is taken. "It gives you "boo boo's" if you take to much!" They understand this concept well enough. They've asked to look at my e cigarettes and I've shown them and let them hold it. (After that they've shown little interest) When they're older I'll explain to them what a vice is and why as adults we sometimes use them. When you've had a bad day don't you want to play a video game or have a juice? Mom and Dad vape. It's a way to relax after a long day. No point in BS'ing them about it. They'll probably drink wine, beer what have you when they're older. Some might not agree with this but you can't bubble them forever.

My supplies are put into a lock box (One of these actually) just to stay on the safe side and my e cigarette is almost never out of my site anyway.

As to whether or not I vape around them in the car, office etc the answer is no. I generally try not to vape or doing anything around them that could be potentially harmful that they don't have a choice in. While I think most of us know e cigarettes are safer than cigarettes (who could really argue that) we don't really know if they're "safe" (which is relative anyway) So if I'm in the car, I generally hold off on vaping. My son, like Dad has asthma so it's not something he really needs to be breathing in. No matter what environmental toxins he might be taking in as it is. I'm not going to lie and say I never have but I'd say 90% of the time I hold off until we're out of the car. I can generally wait until we get to our destination.

At home I generally vape in the office with the window open, if they come into say hi, I generally put my e cigarette down and there's plenty of fresh air coming into the office. I can hold off long enough to chit chat with my kids without having to constantly vape.

This is just my personal preference :)

My son was already grown (21+) when I started vaping. He moved out and into his own place last December, he's a non-smoker. (I started vaping in Feb. this year). I asked him if it was ok to vape when I visit, he has no problem with it. I do not vape around my 1 yr. old granddaughter just because she so curious she'd probably try to grab my MVP (it's all I vape with and I am VERY protective of it!). My daughter and son in law do not smoke or vape.

There's no evidence of toxic levels of chemicals in the stuff you're vaping. There is evidence of trace levels, but overall it's GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe). The levels are much lower in second-hand vape. So, there's no evidence of harm and, really, the only issue is the influence of vaping in front of your kids.

I make my kids drink the juice! No im just kidding... I vape around my kids... I don't blow it in their faces or anything though. Like stated previously, I try not to vape in close quarters. If we are in the car I put down both front windows and open the sunroof. (I think a lot of that is just habit from when I was a smoker though)