I can't heat up my coils!

Ok so I just bought a private v2 and 2 18650 Ultrafire 2600mAh 3.6V and an IGO-W & a Trident v2. I tried building a 5 wrap dual coil on both RDA's but none of them are making a connection even heating up. I need some help I tried reducing my wraps and still no luck.

Ok so I just bought a private v2 and 2 18650 Ultrafire 2600mAh 3.6V and an IGO-W & a Trident v2. I tried building a 5 wrap dual coil on both RDA's but none of them are making a connection even heating up. I need some help I tried reducing my wraps and still no luck.

First you need to troubleshoot the firing problem. We can't even speculate on wraps by not knowing what size your coil, wrap, and wire is (and material). If it's not firing at all or getting warm I doubt it needs less resistance if you're at 4 or 5 coils in a moderate size wrap. "I would guess" and electricity and explosives dont mix so I modified my first sentence. You need an ohm meter, or provide us what your .ohm load is if you already have a meter. Shoot for an ohm load around 1.5. What size are your wraps, and what guage kanthal are you using? Or are you using something besides Kanthal?

If you aren't getting fire it means there's a short or something and just cutting down the resistance by removing a coil and not knowing the ohm load or if the battery is firing is REALLY dangerous so you need to troubleshoot carefully.

What size drill bit are you wrapping around is what I meant by what size are the coils.

It could be your wires where one wire on the coil is crossing another wire where they are connected at the post. Or it could be a center pin not making contact.

Does the mech mod fire a clearomizer/cartomizer fine or are the two RDA's the only thing you've built so far?

Do you have an ego type battery? Or something besides that mech mod. You need to check the coils on an ohm meter, and find out what is preventing them from firing. I did a quick google search on those batteries, some have internal short circuit protection by means of an internal PCB board according to the post I read on ECF.

If that's the case, then the reason it's not firing is probably because you have a short circuit in your RDA, coil, or the mech mod itself, or your .ohms might be too low for the batteries if they have over current protection, I don't know that they do though. If that's the case and it's short circuit protection holding up the show, and you keep trying to fire it you just may find the one odd chance they have where the short circuit protection doesn't engage, and blow your arm off with mech-mod hand grenade shrapnel.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL HERE.

Edited by charliestheman

Tony, I think this is a good time for you to explain your vapeing background. We would like to help you with any problems you're haveing, but I have to say, for now you need to put that mech mod and rda down and DON'T touch it till we can get a better idea of your knowledge in safety and skill set with these types of devices. It's not meant to be rude, just concern for your safety! Please take the time to let us know more. Thanks

I'm sure it could be any one of several things. But it would be wreckless of us to just throw solutions out only to find out later you got hurt if you don't have an overall understanding of how the advanced setups like these work. So again, please share your background and let us help you with this. We can't assume what you know, or don't. It could end badly....

The readon for testing on an ohms checker is to see if there is a dead short. It may be that your post screws have backed off a little, it could be that you have a defective post in your atty. It may just be that the 510 connection of your atty isn't making contact with the positive pin of your mod. There are a myriad of reasons.

If you try to run an untested build on a mech, you can turn your mech into a virtual hand grenade. The battery can vent and overpressure the tube causing a catastrophic failure in your hand and face.

This is unacceptable. We as vapers are already villified because of bad info and press. We don't need more bad press because an inexperienced vaper to mechs gets hurt.

Hmmm..... buy an ohm meter! You seem to have the general concept of building even if you did overlook the simplest and most important part of it. If your using 28g at 5 wraps, I don't necessarily think your resistance is your issue, unless of course you vented your battery and now your battery is toast, because you didn't have a ohm meter to check if the resistance on your coil was in a reasonable level for your particular battery to handle the amps. But hey at least you still have a hand so that's a plus! Check the center pin on your mech mod, some are adjustable and it may just be too low and isn't making contact with the center pin on your RDA's. Oh and in case it wasn't mentioned, buy an ohm meter, they are fairly cheap. Cheaper then replacing batteries or paying a hospital bill from losing your hand or something.

Edited by iheartvape

I've been vaping on an ego-cTwist and a Vivinova for about a year. Then I moved onto the pro-tank, but still wasn't pleased with the flavor and cloud production. About a month ago my friend let me try his mod (not sure what type) with an IGO-W and it absolutely blew my mind! So I am basically new to the world of mechanical mods..

I went to the shop and bought an IGO-W and the guy there built me a simple dual coil build with 4 wraps each coil. Now when I try to build my coils on my Trident V2 or my IGO-W it wouldn't heat the coils... Last night I put one coil with 6 wraps and figured out that was way too many wraps. So I took it off and tried building a dual coil (4 wraps each) just like the guy at the shop did. But I still have no luck... Im sure it is shorting but I can't see any contact with the base or the "prongs". Im 100% sure my battery's, mod, and RDA work. Hopefully... I will be cautious.

Ok, thanks for some back ground info. I have to relate this to buying a new car.... The dealer hands you the keys and says it has a full tank of gas.... When you run out, and haven't read the manual to know what octane it needs, or how to check the oil... etc. Bottom line, you need to know what ohms law is. Also what your batteries can handle (not all are the same), as well as have a reasonable quality charger for them. The ohms reader is so you can put your atty on it and check to see your build status safely.

I've been vaping on an ego-cTwist and a Vivinova for about a year. Then I moved onto the pro-tank, but still wasn't pleased with the flavor and cloud production. About a month ago my friend let me try his mod (not sure what type) with an IGO-W and it absolutely blew my mind! So I am basically new to the world of mechanical mods..

I went to the shop and bought an IGO-W and the guy there built me a simple dual coil build with 4 wraps each coil. Now when I try to build my coils on my Trident V2 or my IGO-W it wouldn't heat the coils... Last night I put one coil with 6 wraps and figured out that was way too many wraps. So I took it off and tried building a dual coil (4 wraps each) just like the guy at the shop did. But I still have no luck... Im sure it is shorting but I can't see any contact with the base or the "prongs". Im 100% sure my battery's, mod, and RDA work. Hopefully... I will be cautious.

Seriously. PUT IT DOWN until you get an ohm meter. You are either shorting out (VERY BAD) or you are not fully contacting your battery (also can be bad). You need an ohm meter to better pinpoint where the problem is occurring and if you continue to fire an rda that is shorting out you're going to be in the hospital by the end of the night, Then I'm going to come kick your *** for being an idiot. comprende?