Removing flavor wicks problem

Okay, but I wear trifocals, and my hands aren't what they used to be, somebody should have a business doing this, kinda like Avid does on HH357s, send in dead coils and get new ones custom set up to your ohm and "flow" rate? Like you could have 3-4 rebuild options, std, one wick, cloud chaser, sub crazy... I have a few for you to start on lol!!

Troy, why are you wearing trifocals at such a youngish age? Okay, I'm assuming you're, what, around 40's?

Custom coils sounds cool, but ungodly expensive.

If I owned a vape shop (sighs), I'd definitely offer custom coil options. I don't see why it would have to cost customers any more than a couple of bucks for me to do it, too. Materials would only cost pennies per coil, and washing the used coil body parts takes longer to do than recoiling one (once you've done a couple).

Well, okay, I've opened the coil up and taken the flavor wicks out and dry burned the couple of single used coils I had sitting here. Let's hope it did some good, because lately, after several days, I've noticed the wattage/voltage that a coil in a given tank lowers. That makes me a sad panda. :(

Is that normal? I don't recall it previously happening. At least not, say, four days into a cycle, and maybe not even four days of heavy use (okay, the 555 and RY4 def got heavy use).

With the KPT rebuilds, it's really trial and error. They are so darn finicky with flooding and burnt hits. The flavor wick is usually the problem. It takes a while to get it just right, and sometimes it just won't cooperate. Rixter and myself both created threads on rebuilding KPT heads.

Once I saw the light of RBA genesis style tanks, I never went back to my Kanger. In fact, I gave it to my brother to go with his eGo Twist. I have heard many people fixing their flooding/burnt issues with two things, one being drilling out the air holes, the other building a vertical coil. I'm not certain, so don't quote me because it's new years eve, and I've been drinking.

The vertical coil is where it's at. :) love that stupid thing and it's so freaking easy to redo the cotton surrounding it. I wanna get my hands on some hemp though and try it out.... Just have yet to find it in it's natural form (like Proetus gets). Anyone know where to get it by chance?

Well, okay, I've opened the coil up and taken the flavor wicks out and dry burned the couple of single used coils I had sitting here. Let's hope it did some good, because lately, after several days, I've noticed the wattage/voltage that a coil in a given tank lowers. That makes me a sad panda. :(

Is that normal? I don't recall it previously happening. At least not, say, four days into a cycle, and maybe not even four days of heavy use (okay, the 555 and RY4 def got heavy use).

I should specify - the waning of the voltage/wattage that my Kanger coils can take isn't related to rebuilt or recycled coils, this is related to brand new coils, all installed midnight Christmas morning or after. Yeah, because they are all 2.5 or above resistance, except a couple (I think 2) of my 1.8 ohm coils that I put in smaller tanks to finish off. Let me know if I should make a separate post about it.

No leaking overnight with the cotton replacements.

Cotton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>flavor wicks

I wish I had done this sooner. Better flavor, vapor, wow

So, to you rebuilding pros out there (you know who you are) - cotton or silica for the flavor wicks? When I took one of mine apart last night dry burn, (did I say this?), it seemed as if the flavor wick was a single thread, unlike the other, so I filled in some cotton.

No leaking overnight with the cotton replacements.

Cotton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>flavor wicks

I wish I had done this sooner. Better flavor, vapor, wow

I have got to the point were I enjoy cotton better to. Awesome flavor, easy to find, easy to replace even inside the coil and cheaper than ekowool.

Take a trip to any fabric store or fabric department and find a ball of 100% cotton yarn. Already twisted up in a uniform size and ready to go. I use only 2 of the 4 strands to replace the silica wicks. Figure out how many strands work best for you.

You can't burn silica. Well you can but I highly doubt you would be able to heat it to 1600 degrees Celsius with your PV.

Okay, this brings me to another question. Does that mean it's okay to try to dry burn coils to help the wicks dry? Or does that actually burn the coil? I haven't done it since I "dry burned" one wet coil/wick, and it tasted burned, I assumed I burned the wicks, but now I know I was probably tasting the burned caramel (it was Creme Brulee, and not a very good one, at that).

You can do that yes. And you will also want to keep dry burning until the wick turns white again. I know it sounds really dumb but if you can heat it up and get it to start drying out take a toothpick or a needle and lightly scratch at the spots that are brown and it will flake off. Then you can grab a Q-tip and dunk it in a bit of alcohol and lightly wipe the grit away after it's flaked off. :) a little but more time consuming then just rebuilding, but it will improve your vape 10 fold over just soaking and tossing it back in.

You can do that yes. And you will also want to keep dry burning until the wick turns white again. I know it sounds really dumb but if you can heat it up and get it to start drying out take a toothpick or a needle and lightly scratch at the spots that are brown and it will flake off. Then you can grab a Q-tip and dunk it in a bit of alcohol and lightly wipe the grit away after it's flaked off. :) a little but more time consuming then just rebuilding, but it will improve your vape 10 fold over just soaking and tossing it back in.

Thanks, Medic. :thumbup: I'll do that in a bit.

Okay, Medic, flicking off the grit totally worked on the regular wick. Not so much on the one flavor wick I tried it on.....so I won't be using anything to flick grit off the flavor wick, as it, um, unraveled it? Made it a bear to work with. Or should I not do that on the flavor wick, anyway?

Okay, dry burned three coils tonight. One, I'm not positive it was salvageable, but I'm trying it out now - well, I just put it in a tank.

I'm having problems with the flavor wicks when I try to put them back in. Even if I take them out neat as a pin, two out of the three of them got all unravely when I went to put them back in. But the middle coil, that flavor wick went in as nice as you please.

Can I do the dry burning with the flavor wicks still IN? I mean, I can see the red coils through the flavor wicks. If I continue to remove flavor wicks to dry burn, between my hands and my luck, I fear I may have to have my other half start cutting me lengths of his pre-boiled cotton to use as flavor wicks instead, or cut me a length of silica - I think he still has some.

It was so easy if it works for me long term I might start doing it on all my coils lol.

Please get back with me on the PM I sent. :thumbup:

I haven't yet had any trouble with leaking on my KPT rebuilds. *Knocks on wood, I think the leaking is more of an issue on a rebuild if

1 the coil is not set deep enough into the well.

2 if you use too little wicking. I always add the flavor wick on my re-biulds as well

I have only used silica wicks so this may be different with different wick types.

The wife is getting me cotton yarn today to try as flavor wicks. It is still working, but with q-tip cotton I have a hard time getting a uniform size without the middle being bigger than the ends. I am finding it only lasts about a tank because when it soaks up and expands it is too big and it touching the coil as opposed to sitting just above it. I expect strands of yarn to work even better and cannot wait to put some in tonight when I get off work!

you might have to pull out a few strands of the yarn B depending on the size she grabs!

Most Yarn is 4 strands coiled together right? I was thinking I would tear it down to individual strands and use 2 of those to start and adjust from there.

That reminds me, I got a 12 ml bottle of Boba's Bounty yesterday (no PG added). I guess I should consider myself lucky, as so far I've had no wicking issues. But that MAY be because I'm vaping slower a bit since I got it - not just with that, with almost all vape flavors. Well, okay, last night I was so sleepy for a good chunk of the evening I barely vaped at all....and then around 10 pm, I could hardly taste anything. Tasting a bit better today, but I've noticed, at least with me, after a couple of hours of vaping Boba's, I seem to lose the flavor.