Protank has flooding issues.. thinking of trying something else. Opinions?

I suggest going to YouTube and finding a video on how to rebuild a Kanger Protank coil. I've had nothing but trouble with factory BCC (bottom coil changeable) heads. Eventually (sometimes right away), they either leak juice into the connection area or gurgle. Since I started rebuilding my own heads, I rarely have that problem now, and if I do get a leak on a rebuilt coil, I can just rebuild it again.

By the way, I use 32 gauge Kanthal A-1 to make five wraps around a 2mm silica wick (supported with a sewing needle). Then I put another 2mm "flavor" wick on top of the coil (which further fights off leaking). Then I reassemble everything and trim the wicks.

Once you watch a couple videos on the subject, you'll have a better understanding of the process. It's really very easy to do. :thumbup:

Rixter, I've noticed lately, now that I have a device that measures the resistance in the tank, that a lot of my 2.2 ohm coils are ACTUALLY measuring in at more like 1.6. Discovered this on my french vanilla tank last night - tried vaping it with that coil as far down as 3.0 volts to avoid burning it, but it still started burning the juice and I had to change the coil head out. After I go through this supply of 2.2's, I'm sticking to 2.5's. At least if they are "off", they are higher, usually, and not lower. It seems that Kanger has zero quality control on the coils - which is generally why some units ship out with faulty coils as well (Evods or Davides, that is).

I know that most vendor sites only take back clearos/glassomizers if they are DOA - does that mean if the coil is DOA, or if even with a "fresh" coil, the unit still doesn't work?

Rixter, I've noticed lately, now that I have a device that measures the resistance in the tank, that a lot of my 2.2 ohm coils are ACTUALLY measuring in at more like 1.6. Discovered this on my french vanilla tank last night - tried vaping it with that coil as far down as 3.0 volts to avoid burning it, but it still started burning the juice and I had to change the coil head out. After I go through this supply of 2.2's, I'm sticking to 2.5's. At least if they are "off", they are higher, usually, and not lower. It seems that Kanger has zero quality control on the coils - which is generally why some units ship out with faulty coils as well (Evods or Davides, that is).

I know that most vendor sites only take back clearos/glassomizers if they are DOA - does that mean if the coil is DOA, or if even with a "fresh" coil, the unit still doesn't work?

You're using a Zmax, right? If you start using the power option instead of the voltage option (option 7 on your menu), it won't matter what your coils meter out at. Just set your power at 8 watts or less and the Zmax will adjust your voltage according to your juicer's resistance level.

Edited by Rixter

You're using a Zmax, right? If you start using the power option instead of the voltage option (option 7 on your menu), it won't matter what your coils meter out at. Just set your power at 8 watts or less and the Zmax will adjust your voltage according to your juicer's resistance level.

The problem is, and I guess I was having too many taste issues yesterday, couldn't settle on a flavor, and way too much anxiety, is FINDING that sweet spot, when power can only be manually adjusted by increments of .5. Been messing with finding the sweet spot on the French Vanilla. In the Evod, it seemed like 5.5 watts was perfect....but since I put it in PT2, I bumped it up to 6, and now I'm trying 6.5 to see how it is with that...but I may have to bump that back down 6, not sure yet. But I'm pretty sure my milk chocolate will have to be cooler than that. Can't remember what resistance it had in the evod before I transferred it over to the KPT2, but 4 volts was pushing it.

Just remember I use 2mm silica though. A lot thicker then cotton and thicker then what came in the original coil. I think in the coil it's .6mm silica. So if your reusing the wick or the same size wick you will want to use a flavor wick on top. It's all about filling available space. :)

Just remember I use 2mm silica though. A lot thicker then cotton and thicker then what came in the original coil. I think in the coil it's .6mm silica. So if your reusing the wick or the same size wick you will want to use a flavor wick on top. It's all about filling available space. :)

Yep, 2mm silica is exactly what I ordered. I can't wait to build my first one. Thanks.

I have been using 2mm silica to wrap my coils onto, and then putting another 2mm "flavor wick" on top. I do this because a single 2mm wick doesn't seem to fill the side wick slots completely and I've been afraid of the excess gap promoting leaks. I think I'm going to try 3mm wick next time, though. That should fill the gap without having to add another piece of wick on top.

I have been using 2mm silica to wrap my coils onto, and then putting another 2mm "flavor wick" on top. I do this because a single 2mm wick doesn't seem to fill the side wick slots completely and I've been afraid of the excess gap promoting leaks. I think I'm going to try 3mm wick next time, though. That should fill the gap without having to add another piece of wick on top.

How's the 2mm with a 2mm on top working for you? What do you use that configuration in?

How's the 2mm with a 2mm on top working for you? What do you use that configuration in?

It works beautifully...no leaks anymore. I can vape 'til my KPT is dry now. :yes

gallery_15088_188_513.jpg

I'm using one of my re-builds in this KPT right now.

I re-built a couple of heads just now using a 5/4 wrap of 32 gauge Kanthal A-1 (1.8Ω) around a 2mm silica wick without a flavor wick to see how that works out. I'll give it a test run tomorrow and if I don't have any leaks with that, I might just go without the flavor wick from now on.

Edited by Rixter

I'm starting to think my original Protank was faulty. The threading on the base broke off in my Provari so maybe it was cracked all along and that was causing the flooding.. Anyway, rather than ordering a new base, I just ordered a KPT2 and have been using it for almost a week now with no flooding issues whatsoever.

I'm starting to think my original Protank was faulty. The threading on the base broke off in my Provari so maybe it was cracked all along and that was causing the flooding.. Anyway, rather than ordering a new base, I just ordered a KPT2 and have been using it for almost a week now with no flooding issues whatsoever.

Are you using the original wicks that came with your KPT2, I'm about to give up on my mine, it gurgles and spits so much I can't even go through a 1/2 tank of juice without dumping it out and switching to another device

I have just adopted the practice of tossing any wick that comes in a tank, saves a lot of trouble since like 75 percent or more have been faulty. The only exception is the T2 which I have never had a bad coil in. With T3S, KPT, and all my Davide minis I just change the coil and put in a new one.

Are you using the original wicks that came with your KPT2, I'm about to give up on my mine, it gurgles and spits so much I can't even go through a 1/2 tank of juice without dumping it out and switching to another device

Yep. Still using the original unmodified head/wicks. Although today I tried some old (thick) Bobas Bounty and its not vaping so well. I'll probably dump it and put in a new head tomorrow.

I re-built a couple of heads just now using a 5/4 wrap of 32 gauge Kanthal A-1 (1.8Ω) around a 2mm silica wick without a flavor wick to see how that works out. I'll give it a test run tomorrow and if I don't have any leaks with that, I might just go without the flavor wick from now on.

I started getting gurgling and leaking into the connection area towards the bottom of the tank, so the coil around 2mm silica without a flavor wick isn't working for me. I'll continue using the 2mm flavor wick on top of the coil until I can get some 3mm silica to experiment with because I never have problems with that configuration. It works equally as well with both KPTs & EVODs.

I started getting gurgling and leaking into the connection area towards the bottom of the tank, so the coil around 2mm silica without a flavor wick isn't working for me. I'll continue using the 2mm flavor wick on top of the coil until I can get some 3mm silica to experiment with because I never have problems with that configuration. It works equally as well with both KPTs & EVODs.

Thanks so much for the follow up. I should be getting my wick & wire on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

my KPT only floods slightly every 3 days or so and that is only because it is less than 1/3 full. my wife had a similar issue and i added an additional flavor wick i made ontop of the 2 that came with it and her issues stopped. and juice ratios i run any where from 95%vg down to 50/50 and it doesnt affect the device at all.