Protank has flooding issues.. thinking of trying something else. Opinions?

My 3.5mm silica wick from Mesh Wizard arrived in today's vape mail, so a little while ago, I rebuilt some KPT & EVOD heads with it. This fatter wick fills the wick slots nicely and provides a smooth draw, while eliminating the need to add a "flavor wick" to prevent leaking & gurgling.

With the fatter 3.5mm silica, it only takes a 4/3 wrap* of 32g Kanthal A-1 to make a ±1.8Ω coil, as opposed to a 5/4 wrap with the 2mm silica.

I'll post the results after I vape a few tankfulls, but I'm pretty sure I've found a winner. :thumbup:

* For anyone who doesn't already know, a 4/3 wrap simply means that your coil will have four loops on the outside and 3 on the inside...it saves on confusion as to how many actual wraps there are to a coil.

yeah i toss every coil that comes with my tanks... they are always dead. and im not sure why... but maybe its just from being shipped in the tank and it gets jostled around too much.

Those coils are in the same shipping container as the tanks, I can't figure it out. I think the problem is disgruntled workers ie bad workmanship. Kanger needs to pay better. And the gift boxes on the v1s was stupid ...

How do you put three loops in the inside of a wick? Or am I confusing something?

I meant that if you look at one side of a coil, there will be one more loop than on the other side of the same coil.

Those coils are in the same shipping container as the tanks, I can't figure it out. I think the problem is disgruntled workers ie bad workmanship. Kanger needs to pay better. And the gift boxes on the v1s was stupid ...

Could they be offing faulty coils??

Thanks, Rixter, I get it now. And this gives you 1.8 ohm? So, if I wanted a 2.0 or 2.2 ohm coil, I'd just have to put another wrap or two into it?

Also, does it make a difference if you wrap the wire closer together?

Yeah, each additional wrap will add just a little more resistance...trial and error is all I can say about that.

You can wrap as close as you'd like as long as the wraps aren't touching each other.

Wow. that looks a heck of a lot better than they do coming out of the box!

They work a heck of a lot better than they do coming out of the box, too. :yes

By the way, I just got finished taking some step by step pictures of the entire rebouilding process from start to finish, so I'll be posting a pictorial tutorial shortly. I'll provide a link in this thread when I've finished it. :thumbup:

Edited by Rixter

Have you tried the ribbon wire, Rix? Or heard about anyone who uses it?

I'll probably order the 32 gauge and the 34. The 32 is too big to fit into my Vision Eternity RBA so I'm hoping the 34 might but I'm curious about the ribbon one...

Have you tried the ribbon wire, Rix? Or heard about anyone who uses it?

I'll probably order the 32 gauge and the 34. The 32 is too big to fit into my Vision Eternity RBA so I'm hoping the 34 might but I'm curious about the ribbon one...

I haven't tried ribbon resistance wire yet because I've had such good success with standard Kanthal wire. I use 32g for BCC heads and 29g for Genesis RBAs.

So have you guys tried the 'nano micro coil' in one of these heads? They sure look like they work amazingly well in the videos by 'Rip Trippers' ! 12 freakin' wraps.. that's just nuts! The concept sure seems like it would work... I mean we've been using the same coils in all of the normal atomizers for years... just like the ones in the HH 357's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIoH-mOXKsc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUgZd5ygXFoQry9KDGlddSBg

Edited by DAYVAPE

Fumbling for compass.. Hoping your high and dry down south.....

We've got a flood warning until 8:22 tomorrow morning, which was weird because I could see blue sky peeking behind the clouds when the warning came up. We can use some rain but can we put in the order for a light rain lasting all night long?

Hope you're safe and dryer than you were yesterday. :)