Protank has flooding issues.. thinking of trying something else. Opinions?

So I've had the Protank/Provari combo for a while now and have noticed that the bottom coil Protank tends to flood regularly (as in every single day). Right now I have a Vivi Nova on it but with the short wicks I get a lot of dry/burnt hits. My Nova tank is a couple of years old (not sure what version).. Are all the replacement heads the same? If so, I could just order some long wicked heads and use it.

I really like the idea of a bottom coil tank, but just can't stand the constant flooding. Is there any other bottom coil alternatives that don't have the flooding issues? Is the Protank 2 any better or does it have the same issue? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I have never had my KPT2 flood, but I never had flooding issues with my KPT1. The Davide minis have never flooded at all on me, and I havent heard of the full size flooding either.

Have you done troubleshooting to make sure there is no user error involved when filling or anything? I only ask because I havent seen anyone else complain about KPTs flooding and have been around a while.

I believe my Vivi Nova is original but can't be sure. It says "Vivi Novo" on the side of it but I guess it could still be a knock off.

I can't think of anything I'm doing that would cause the KPT to flood. I don't over fill it, always make sure the head is seated snugly, etc.. It will be vaping great for a while, and then a little later its gurgling and flooded. I may try the Davide and see if its any better.

Thanks for the replies.

I believe my Vivi Nova is original but can't be sure. It says "Vivi Novo" on the side of it but I guess it could still be a knock off.

I can't think of anything I'm doing that would cause the KPT to flood. I don't over fill it, always make sure the head is seated snugly, etc.. It will be vaping great for a while, and then a little later its gurgling and flooded. I may try the Davide and see if its any better.

Thanks for the replies.

Have you tried replacing the head? And are both orings still in place?

I've encountered 1 Protank head where the flavor wicks were not placed properly leading to flooding. Flooding with a Protank is not a common issue.

I've also used Vivi Nova's with long and short wicks and saw no appreciable difference between the two provided you keep the short wicks wet. One reason the short wicks never appealed to me. I did however untwist the wick material on the Vivi heads which provided better juice flow and reduced dry hits.

All things considered I personally prefer the Protank over the Vivi Nova. I've got a bunch of perfectly good Vivi's and they're all in a box collecting dust.

Edited by irwink

Thanks for the replies. I have tried replacing the heads, and maybe that could be whats causing it. One of the heads I tried vaped fine.. The other two flooded. I'll check to make sure the wicks are properly placed. In the mean time, I think I'm going to order a Protank II as well. I like the idea of the removable tips.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried replacing the heads, and maybe that could be whats causing it. One of the heads I tried vaped fine.. The other two flooded. I'll check to make sure the wicks are properly placed. In the mean time, I think I'm going to order a Protank II as well. I like the idea of the removable tips.

I love the protank 2 ! I think youll be happy with it ! as for the flooding - My vote is missing or misplaced o rings . they get ya every time . lol

You can also replace the tips on the Davide and Davide minis. So far, with the minis I have, I've never experienced any leaking.

The Pro Tank? Yes, it leaks like a sieve with several different coils on it. The Pro Tank 2? Yeah, I'm getting some leaking going on, just not as bad as the original Pro Tank. Color me less than impressed with the two Pro Tanks.

+1 what irwink said. From what I have read many people do have flooding problems but it is from the improper placement / missing flavor wick after cleaning. That being said my protank 2 has no problems with leakage and I love it.

+1 what irwink said. From what I have read many people do have flooding problems but it is from the improper placement / missing flavor wick after cleaning. That being said my protank 2 has no problems with leakage and I love it.

I've placed the new coil in, twisted counter-clockwise until the threads clicked into place and then tighten clockwise. I don't know how it could be improper placement, and I am rather mechanically inclined. I've also changed out several coils and wick combos, brand new ones, no cleaning. Then, very carefully put everything back together again. Can't see how it could be anything that could be considered "improper placement" or "missing wick after cleaning." They still leak -- or seep slowly until my battery connection is wet when I take off the Pro Tank and/or Pro Tank 2. :(

Do you mean improper placement of the flavor wicks ,or the coil itself ? not Sure I understand.

Do you mean improper placement of the flavor wicks ,or the coil itself ? not Sure I understand.

In my case it was the flavor wicks that were out of place. One end was jammed in beside the slot rather than in line with it.

I've placed the new coil in, twisted counter-clockwise until the threads clicked into place and then tighten clockwise. I don't know how it could be improper placement, and I am rather mechanically inclined. I've also changed out several coils and wick combos, brand new ones, no cleaning. Then, very carefully put everything back together again. Can't see how it could be anything that could be considered "improper placement" or "missing wick after cleaning." They still leak -- or seep slowly until my battery connection is wet when I take off the Pro Tank and/or Pro Tank 2. :(

I have grown to accept the bolded as "normal" as every Davide Mini and KPT 1 and 2 I have used always do this. I never ever get gurgling out of either, but there is always a coating of liquid on my battery contact when I change or batteries.

my davides have never leaked onto my battery. except the time i unscrewed the glass from the tank... that was definitely a user error though.... i think.... lol.

didnt want to admit it but Ive done this -(twice ) :wallbash:

my davides have never leaked onto my battery. except the time i unscrewed the glass from the tank... that was definitely a user error though.... i think.... lol.

I've done that with a couple of my Evods.....not a pretty sight.

didnt want to admit it but Ive done this -(twice ) :wallbash:

Christie, counting last night, I think it's four for me now on the Evods - but I think the 2 last night were because I had the base screwed on wrong.

When I went about cleaning my PT 2 I removed the flavor wick because it was slightly burnt. When I reassembled my tank I replaced the flavor wick. When I began to use my PT 2 I did notice some seepage and gurgling that I had never experienced before. I immediately disassembled the head and noticed that when I assembled the stem to the head that it crushed my flavor wick. It was not laying flat on top of the wick and coil assembly. It was skewered off to one side, which would allow fluid direct access to the wick and coil assembly. I made another flavor wick and used as much care as possible to avoid what I just explained. It apparently worked as my PT 2 has not leaked. This leads me to believe that the leakage that I experienced was due to the improper placement of the flavor wick. As a side note whenever I have replaced the the old head all together with a new one, I have never experienced any leakage or gurgling what so ever. YMMV

I also have KPT2 and have been experiencing the gurgling and I actually removed the flavor wicks after watching Twisted420's video on YouTube can't seem to win, think ill take it up to the Vape shop Tuesday and see if they can vibe me some pointers, are you supposed to keep the tank right side up at all times, mi have a tendency to lay my rich on my desk at work do don't know if that's an issue

I suggest going to YouTube and finding a video on how to rebuild a Kanger Protank coil. I've had nothing but trouble with factory BCC (bottom coil changeable) heads. Eventually (sometimes right away), they either leak juice into the connection area or gurgle. Since I started rebuilding my own heads, I rarely have that problem now, and if I do get a leak on a rebuilt coil, I can just rebuild it again.

By the way, I use 32 gauge Kanthal A-1 to make five wraps around a 2mm silica wick (supported with a sewing needle). Then I put another 2mm "flavor" wick on top of the coil (which further fights off leaking). Then I reassemble everything and trim the wicks.

Once you watch a couple videos on the subject, you'll have a better understanding of the process. It's really very easy to do. :thumbup:

Edited by Rixter