life insurance after quitting analogs

I apologize if this has been brought up before....

As we all know, when we were smokers, life insurance was very expensive. Has anyone gotten tested during the life insurance process and successfully been awarded insurance as a non smoker? Thoughts on the topic?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Interesting question. I'm going to check with my insurance company to see what the criteria is in order to be classified as a non-smoker. I seem to remember something about you have to have been off cigarettes for at least a year...? But then I'm sure it varies by companies. :)

Interesting. According to the search results on Google it says that nicotine stays in the body anywhere from 48 hours to four days or more depending on how much you smoked. I wonder if it's any different with a different delivery system like vaping?

Thanks, Ninjabat, for the information. :)

I have read the same thing about nicotine staying in the body - roughly 4-5 days. I would THINK (and im not that bright, lol) that if I was vaping with e-liquid containing nicotine, it would show up in my test results, and I would wind up paying insurance as if I was a smoker. I was hoping someone went through this process....how does one prove your NOT a smoker, and yet still have nicotine in the body ?

I'd think Ninjabat is right...vape with zero nicotine for a few days.

• 1 month later...

I want to know what an insurance sompany would say if you told them you vape, assuming you haven't smoked for a while. Would they give you the non-smoker or smoker rates?

Only problem I see with vaping 0 nic to fool the insurance company is that if you later have another blood test that shows nicotine in your blood, the insurance company could drop you leaving you with a huge hospital bill.

The kicker is you can qualify for life insurance but if you need it, they test again and if you are paying non-smoker rates and test positive for nicotine at death they can, and probably will, deny your claim.

The kicker is you can qualify for life insurance but if you need it, they test again and if you are paying non-smoker rates and test positive for nicotine at death they can, and probably will, deny your claim.

My term life insurance did not ask if I was a smoker or non smoker

My term life insurance did not ask if I was a smoker or non smoker

Every quote I have gotten required a blood test for nicotine and drugs but then again I am no expert.

I guess there are a lot of different types. I have term life now but need to transfer to a Flexible Premium Adjustable Indexed Life Insurance in the next few years to avoid a physical.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in this boat. I quit smoking almost 3 years ago and I'm paying the smoker rate. I don't know how to get out of it. I've read that some insurance companies will test your hair. Nicotine or it's metabolites could be there for years! BAH!

• 2 months later...

i dont know about life insurance but according to the federal goverment ecigs are classified the same

as analogs for the purpose concerning health insurance.

this means when all the provisions of obama care kick in,(notice they keep delaying them?)

there will be a 50% surcharge on the insurance you must buy.

they will be sending out test kits.

how this is all going to work out i dont know.

i cant afford insurance now.

regards

mike

When I signed up for life Insurance they did a blood test. So vape 0 nic for a while and you'll test clean.

But when you pass away, if you are listed as a non smoker and if they find nicotine during autopsy, won't that cancel the policy? I wondered about that. Some insurance companies I know won't pay out without an autopsy and some Insurance companies give bonuses to agents who find reasons NOT to pay out on life insurance, I would be afraid any nicotine in the blood would do that.

• 2 months later...

My Employer is now adding a surcharge to our health insurance for smokers. They will require a blood test after the first of the year.

My Life Insurance provider has required this since as far back as I can remember.

Is nicotine the only way to test for smokers? Isnt there some other kind of marker in the blood that would indicate a smoker? I thought nicotine was the least unhealthy part of a tobacco cig. I mean they say there is some insane number of chemicals etc in a tobacco cig, cant they test for those compounds instead of nicotine?