Jump to content

Recommended Posts

What type of tank are you using? Did you change the PG/VG ratio in your juice? Higher VG, sweet and dark juices are known to be what we call "coil killers." And then again, there have been some bad batches of coils periodically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Odd that all the coils in a box are short lived. Do you prime your coils?some coils need to broken in at a lower wattage. The juice your using, did it Work before you started using these coils? Juice is a coil killer if it has sugar in it.
I prime my coils very well. I start at 30. Then 35 then up till 50. I using deep fried apple pie juice currently. It could be bad coils on top of sugary juice. I've been using the 1.2ohms for a while ever since my 150w mod broke and been using a 60w.
Link to post
Share on other sites
What type of tank are you using? Did you change the PG/VG ratio in your juice? Higher VG, sweet and dark juices are known to be what we call "coil killers." And then again, there have been some bad batches of coils periodically.
I use a vaporfi viper tank. And I only run max vg juice. I tend to stick to light juices.
Link to post
Share on other sites

a 1.2 ohm coil will fry quickly at 50watts.

get some .5ohm coils

 

otherwise keep that 1.2 ohm coil at 20watts or less or or your just going to burn through coils like they're nothing.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the 1.2 coils I have seen recommend 12 - 25 watts, I sometimes run 1.2 coils in a Subtank mini, and never go over 15 watts. A 1.2 coil is a 1.2 coil and doesn't matter who makes it they can only handle so much power. You will need 7.8 volts to run a 1.2 coil at 50 watts. Vaporfi is full  of crap if they recommend 30 - 100 watts for a 1.2 coil, I had to look it up, and that's what they do recommend. You also should know they make more money selling coils than they do selling tanks, so the more coils you burn up the more money they make.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FXRich said:

All the 1.2 coils I have seen recommend 12 - 25 watts, I sometimes run 1.2 coils in a Subtank mini, and never go over 15 watts. A 1.2 coil is a 1.2 coil and doesn't matter who makes it they can only handle so much power. You will need 7.8 volts to run a 1.2 coil at 50 watts. Vaporfi is full  of crap if they recommend 30 - 100 watts for a 1.2 coil, I had to look it up, and that's what they do recommend. You also should know they make more money selling coils than they do selling tanks, so the more coils you burn up the more money they make.

I routinely run 1.8 ohm coils, which is a higher resistance than a 1.2 ohm coil. Most of the time I get the best performance right around 8.0 watts (anything between 7.8 and 8.4 watts max). 30 - 100 watts on a 1.2 ohm coil? Yeah, the seller just wants to make money off you by recommending  ridiculously high wattages to burn up your coils faster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I routinely run 1.8 ohm coils, which is a higher resistance than a 1.2 ohm coil. Most of the time I get the best performance right around 8.0 watts (anything between 7.8 and 8.4 watts max). 30 - 100 watts on a 1.2 ohm coil? Yeah, the seller just wants to make money off you by recommending  ridiculously high wattages to burn up your coils faster.
I've never had a problem running 50w before. 30 barely heats it up as well. 84955e51e333445c447f97341cd26a71.jpg
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?

Using a 4mm ID, and using 26g 316L wire you would need 13 wraps to use 50w with a 1.2 coil, the same coil using 28g 316L would only need 8 wraps and 25w, unless the coil is a Clapton coil or some other multiple core wire. The only way I see that you could use 100w as listed on the coil is if you were using TC and used 100w as a initial wattage, and even that would be too high in my opinion, but just my opinion and not to be taken as fact.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FXRich said:

I used http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?

Using a 4mm ID, and using 26g 316L wire you would need 13 wraps to use 50w with a 1.2 coil, the same coil using 28g 316L would only need 8 wraps and 25w, unless the coil is a Clapton coil or some other multiple core wire. The only way I see that you could use 100w as listed on the coil is if you were using TC and used 100w as a initial wattage, and even that would be too high in my opinion, but just my opinion and not to be taken as fact.

 

That looks like a pretty reasonable result for heat flux.  I have never trusted that though.  If I build say a .25Ω coil with 26g ss it comes up with 7.1W.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Walt said:

That looks like a pretty reasonable result for heat flux.  I have never trusted that though.  If I build say a .25Ω coil with 26g ss it comes up with 7.1W.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  

I got 11 watts, but you have to consider its only about 42 mm of wire compared to 200 mm of wire for a 1.2 coil made of the same wire. Takes more power to heat 200 mm of wire than what it takes to heat 42 mm.

You would be better off using 24g 316L for a .25 coil.

Edited by FXRich
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FXRich said:

I got 11 watts, but you have to consider its only about 42 mm of wire compared to 200 mm of wire for a 1.2 coil made of the same wire. Takes more power to heat 200 mm of wire than what it takes to heat 42 mm.

You would be better off using 24g 316L for a .25 coil.

Yea, poor example on my part.  Thinking about it a little more, I don't make any single coils down to .25Ω anyway.  Looking at the same heat flux with a dual coil makes more sense.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Walt said:

Yea, poor example on my part.  Thinking about it a little more, I don't make any single coils down to .25Ω anyway.  Looking at the same heat flux with a dual coil makes more sense.  

Einstein's theory comes to mind, the more mass you have the more energy you need to heat it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I used http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?
Using a 4mm ID, and using 26g 316L wire you would need 13 wraps to use 50w with a 1.2 coil, the same coil using 28g 316L would only need 8 wraps and 25w, unless the coil is a Clapton coil or some other multiple core wire. The only way I see that you could use 100w as listed on the coil is if you were using TC and used 100w as a initial wattage, and even that would be too high in my opinion, but just my opinion and not to be taken as fact.
 
10 watts do t heat the coil hardly at all. And 30w heats it enough to get vape.
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Einstein's theory comes to mind, the more mass you have the more energy you need to heat it.

I'm glad you pointed that out. Thinking about it even more, it will be very nice for planning a mech mod build.  Good stuff.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, smokeysquirrel said:
6 hours ago, FXRich said:
I used http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?
Using a 4mm ID, and using 26g 316L wire you would need 13 wraps to use 50w with a 1.2 coil, the same coil using 28g 316L would only need 8 wraps and 25w, unless the coil is a Clapton coil or some other multiple core wire. The only way I see that you could use 100w as listed on the coil is if you were using TC and used 100w as a initial wattage, and even that would be too high in my opinion, but just my opinion and not to be taken as fact.
 

10 watts do t heat the coil hardly at all. And 30w heats it enough to get vape.

After reading a few reviews on your tank I found the reviews to say that you will get a cooler vape and less vapor if you use the 1.2 coil compared to the .5 or .25 coils, I don't know what gauge wire your coils have in them so I can only guess what they are capable of. Another problem might be the juice is too thick and not wicking right, or the cotton is packed too tight. If the juice is too thick you could try adding a few drops of distilled water to your tank to thin the juice, if the cotton is too tight you could try sticking a pin through the cotton, and that sometimes works. Other than that maybe you got some bad coils.

Link to post
Share on other sites
After reading a few reviews on your tank I found the reviews to say that you will get a cooler vape and less vapor if you use the 1.2 coil compared to the .5 or .25 coils, I don't know what gauge wire your coils have in them so I can only guess what they are capable of. Another problem might be the juice is too thick and not wicking right, or the cotton is packed too tight. If the juice is too thick you could try adding a few drops of distilled water to your tank to thin the juice, if the cotton is too tight you could try sticking a pin through the cotton, and that sometimes works. Other than that maybe you got some bad coils.
I use max vg juice. So could very well be to think juice.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...