Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Cloud-9

I need some words of wisdom. I have a Smok XPro M45 which has vw & mech modes with a Cubis Pro tank which came with coils. The Joyetech BF Coils .5/.6 ohm coils work great. When I drop in the Joyetech NotchCoil .25ohm, it gurgles, spits, boils and gets really hot. I've tried both wattage and power modes and have adjusted the watts and airflow and can't get it to work. It's rated 30-70 watts and I've tried going a little lower which doesn't produce much cloud but still gurgles and increments of 5 above 30 to the max I can go of 45 watts.

Appreciate any help folks and much thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The Vapor Talk mobile app

Yeah, that's my guess too.  It's the pg content.  Below .5 ohms, subohmers tend to use max vg juices.  It could be the particular flavorings used too which are likely to be pg based.  

I'll try a higher VG, don't have any on hand though, but I'll get some.
Thanks for the help folks!!!

11 minutes ago, Bebop said:

Yeah, that's my guess too.  It's the pg content.  Below .5 ohms, subohmers tend to use max vg juices.  It could be the particular flavorings used too which are likely to be pg based.  

I don't know about that.  I routinely run coils at .15 ohms and I use a few juices that are 60/40 or 70/30 VG/PG and I don't get any popping.  I have, however, heard of similar issues specifically with the notch coils.  I seem to recall seeing a solution somewhere on a different site.  I'll take a look around and see if I can find it.

I don't know about that.  I routinely run coils at .15 ohms and I use a few juices that are 60/40 or 70/30 VG/PG and I don't get any popping.  I have, however, heard of similar issues specifically with the notch coils.  I seem to recall seeing a solution somewhere on a different site.  I'll take a look around and see if I can find it.

Would it be possible that the notches on either side over saturate the coil? I tried putting in just enough juice below the notches but the same problem occurred.

45 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

Fair enough.  Juices can vary so widely - the contents of which vary brand to brand - it can still be a factor in spitting or popping.  

I've never used the notch coil so I can't speak to that.  

1 hour ago, Cloud-9 said:

Would it be possible that the notches on either side over saturate the coil? I tried putting in just enough juice below the notches but the same problem occurred.

Im only basing the following opinion on what I know about notch coils. Ive never used them.

They are designed for high flow of juice and have more surface area.  They are also designed for a quick ramp up of heat.    Guess what.  Combine those two principles and you have a recipe for spitting.

So overwicking could be a factor.

But overwicking isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you are underpowered or not enough airflow. Underpowered it may just boil the juice and not immediate vaporize it With enough power and great airflow it should handle overwicking.  Having enough airflow is key to producing vapor. 

You might try ramping up the power but also really pulling harder on that to increase your airflow.  It might seem counterintuitive to pull harder on the coil that's spitting but it might work.  Just be careful.  Try using a drip tip with a screen if necessary.  

Just a few ideas.

Not sure if it is relevant, but I picked up a couple of Eleaf Lyche's with notch coils.  They both spit like crazy.  Edna and Tam recommended some drip tips from FastTech that have screens in them.  Helps a lot!  Still hear it popin away in there but it doesn't reach my mouth.  I also found a technique to "blow" out the coil when it floods that helps a lot.  They are usable tanks now.