California Moves Against ‘Public Threat’ Of E-Cigarettes With A Tax

Christopher

Proposition 56 would raise the tax on tobacco sales, which currently sits at 87 cents, to $2.87. The ballot would also allow the state government to begin taxing e-cigarette sales, which opponents argue harms an industry helping smokers quit. California voters have not raised the state tobacco tax since 1998, which is relatively low compared to other Democratic states like New York, where the tax on tobacco is $4.35 per pack, reports Science World Report.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/10/10/california-moves-against-public-threat-of-e-cigarettes-with-a-tax/#ixzz4Mq5HVN9n

Can we all agree this whole "public threat" thing is total ********? I'm so tired of hearing about the battle against the "threat" of e cigarettes. 

I tried to find out how much the new California tax would be on ecigs, this is what I found "This measure also creates a new excise tax on e-cigarettes. The tax rate would be equivalent to the $2 per pack cigarette tax increase" so does that mean $2 per ml or $2 per bottle of juice, how would they define the equivalent of a pack of cigarettes?

They don't specifically say. It's been estimated that it would be a 50% increase in overall cost. (So worst case, a $10 bottle might cost $14 for example) but it's really all speculation. 

All that's mentioned is a $2 per pack increased and "similar tax increase on e cigarette products" 

I hear people in Minn are finding ways around it by buying 1 bottle of juice with nic in it and buying a identical bottle with 0 nic and mixing them. I guess the tax there only applies to juice with nic in it.

6 hours ago, FXRich said:

I read somewhere that the state and fed government make more money off a pack of cigarettes than the tobacco companies do.

Back in the late 80's, my cousin worked for one of the tobacco companies in a processing/packaging facility (doing their books)... she told me it cost 37 CENTS to make a pack of premium cigarettes (labor, packaging, paper, ingredients, and shipping... including factoring in utilities too), and at that time a pack was $1.50-$1.75 in KY.  Today, it probably costs twice that... and a pack of "generics" is $4 here... and $12 in NYC?  Last time I was in CA, I stopped by a smoke shop to check out their cigar selection (curiosity mostly) and was shocked at the prices!  Things I would pay $4-6 for in KY were $14-20... all because of TAXES.

Higher and higher taxes on tobacco is one of the main reasons the vaping has become popular, aside from being successful as a secession aid...

Back in 1776 there were some people that revolted because of high taxes, and they were being oppressed. They formed their own country based on freedom, I sometimes wonder what happened to that country. History sometimes repeats itself.

Edited by FXRich