Suggestions on a new, possible temp controlled mod and new tanks

spydre

@FXRich, that's actually what I meant.  I thought it, and the cool fire iv tc looked pretty similar, except for the external battery on the cool fire.  I'm just wondering how quick I would go through a single 18650 battery running it in high power.

I use a single 18650 LG HG2 in a 75w TC, and it lasts 6 - 8 hours using TC. In the 160w with 2 batteries it will last 2 days then some, but that's dual battery too. How high of watts you talking about?

Okay, I've settled on a mod, the KBox 70 Watt with the built in battery - just don't like the odds of being out and having a battery die, and I'm tired of taking batteries out every time I go to my mom's when the men in my family work on her yard (so, half of the day if not more).  As it is, I'll be toting juice over there, so the built in battery of that size should do me well.  Now, as far as tanks, I'm just spinning my wheels there.  I think I get settled on one, and another one catches my eye.  Thinking about the Herakles, the Triton, the TopTank mini, the Uwell Crown 2.  If it just came down to capacity it would be the crown 2, but I don't know.

7 hours ago, Tam said:

Tam, the guy at one of the vape shops told me the Triton can be messy when refilling?  Or leaks at times - something like that?  Have you had issues with that?  Not sure if he knows from experience, or what was relayed by customers.  But he tried to steer me away from that to the Herakles or the Crown - maybe they cost more?  The shop didn't carry the iSticks anymore, and the KBox was priced to the point that I could get it way cheaper online - could almost get the two I want (for two different juices) online for as much as they were charging, and I don't want to know what they were charging for tanks, since I'm getting two of them.  I don't want to lean toward the Crown just because it has more capacity, I'd rather go with the better tank.  Well, I know the prices of some tanks there, and the VT store, and all other online stores carry them cheaper.

Edited by spydre

Well, I got my order in.  It was partially determined by which mods could use stainless steel coils (out of my short list of mods), since all of my potential tanks used either SS or Nickle, so I went with the TC Cool Fire IV, and it came packaged with an iSub V - Vortex edition tank.  That's actually going to be my back up tank, provided I like the Uwell Crown 2 that I ordered.  Put my Inferno in the big Crown tank, and put the 618 in the iSub tank.

Thanks, everyone.

On 8/25/2016 at 7:55 AM, spydre said:

Tam, the guy at one of the vape shops told me the Triton can be messy when refilling?  Or leaks at times - something like that?  Have you had issues with that?  Not sure if he knows from experience, or what was relayed by customers.  But he tried to steer me away from that to the Herakles or the Crown - maybe they cost more?  The shop didn't carry the iSticks anymore, and the KBox was priced to the point that I could get it way cheaper online - could almost get the two I want (for two different juices) online for as much as they were charging, and I don't want to know what they were charging for tanks, since I'm getting two of them.  I don't want to lean toward the Crown just because it has more capacity, I'd rather go with the better tank.  Well, I know the prices of some tanks there, and the VT store, and all other online stores carry them cheaper.

Spydre... the V1 Tritons had issues with leaking and "failure to flow juice to the coil".  Tam's original Triton V1 was a mess... she sent it to me so I could break it apart, lol... which I did... and found it is pretty easy to screw it up without trying, so the juice-control-ring won't properly engage juice-flow.  I bought a new "tank section" for the base, and it has worked like a charm since then, with only one leakage instance, but that had to do with a hot car, unattended for an hour :(  The V2 Tritons don't seem to have those issues, and @Tam has been using a couple in rotation for about 8 months, as best as I can recall?  

The Crown seems to be a pretty good tank... I don't have one, but I believe @jasonculp and several other members use one daily and for the most part they all have great things to say about it.

I do like the Crown.  It really is my go to tank.  I use the NEBOX as my daily driver.  It is much closer to a SubTank Mini.  The Crown is a much more open tank.  I use the RBA most of the time, but the coils are really good.  I normally run it with the airflow on about half.  I hope you are as pleased with it as I am.

6 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

The V2 Tritons don't seem to have those issues, and @Tam has been using a couple in rotation for about 8 months, as best as I can recall? 

I've now got ten V2 Tritons with three in rotation with no problems at all. They're my go-to tanks that replaced my beloved HH.357 atomizers of many years.

When the original came out, I loved the flavor it gave me through two tankfuls (if I recall correctly), then I couldn't get the damned thing to work right after that no matter what I did. After I became thoroughly frustrated, I sent it @Earthling789 so he could play with it.  :) 

Thanks, Tam.  I'll keep it in mind, especially considering getting coils for the iSub may be a pain and a half.  So far, I've only found two places stateside that sell TC coils, but My Vapor Store, where I'm getting the package, and they don't sell them in packs, they see them as singles for $1.99 a piece, + shipping, BUT they sell them in all TC coils it comes in - SS, Ni200, and Titanium, as well as just the kanthal coils.  The other site sells multipacks, but only Kanthal and nickle.  I guess I'm picky?

Most places that have the coils as singles... they come to you in 5-packs when you order the right amount. If you order 15 of them, you'll get three 5-packs of coils. Which coil do you want specifically? I can't tell from your post what you use other than you want iSub coils in TC. What resistance level and what material are you looking for? @Christopher can probably get you the coil at a good price if you tell him what you want.

Yup that's correct. :) After cost of goods we basically divided the price by 5 or 3 depending on the type of coil. We used to sell them in 5 packs but it's becoming really popular to sell in singles. (This is partly for economic reasons but mostly because people want to try different ohms or coil types before buying in sets of 5) With that said, the boxes still arrive in 5 packs, we just peel off the correct quantity. If you purchased them in sets of 5, they all arrive in a box :D

Truthfully, I'm not sure which I want yet.  I was going to start a post asking what the difference was between SS, Ni200, and Titanium is.  I know that on this tank, with the SS coils, it recommends the temp only go up to about 475 for "optimal vaping".  TC is so entirely new for me.

I personally have a preference for SS when using TC, but that's me, and other people might prefer something else. A few of these new mods will work with any kind of wire. One advantage of SS is it can be used for TC or for power mode, something you can't do with Ti or Ni200.

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

I personally have a preference for SS when using TC, but that's me, and other people might prefer something else. A few of these new mods will work with any kind of wire. One advantage of SS is it can be used for TC or for power mode, something you can't do with Ti or Ni200.

How is SS wire compared to NI wire?

That would be an advantage for me as well, since I don't know which mode I'm going to be using - and it may be different from one juice to another.  I know out of the ones I was looking at, things were quickly getting shot down because they didn't take SS, or they required two high drain batteries, which is something I didn't want to get into.  I'm a little gun shy about nickle coils just because, and I don't know how truthful it is, a video I saw part of saying with nickle wire one is more prone to be inhaling the nickle than with the other wires, because of nickle's low melt point - but the melting point is still like 5 times or more what most people run at (over 2000 degrees F).  So I don't know the veracity of that video.

Tina

2 minutes ago, cany said:

How is SS wire compared to NI wire?

SS is stiffer than Ni but not as springy as Kanthal. Its easier to work with in my opinion, I have been using it for a long time now, I even used it to rebuild Kanger OCC horizontal coils for my Subvods. But now I use Kanthal to rebuild Subvod coils.

Just now, FXRich said:

SS is stiffer than Ni but not as springy as Kanthal. Its easier to work with in my opinion, I have been using it for a long time now, I even used it to rebuild Kanger OCC horizontal coils for my Subvods. But now I use Kanthal to rebuild Subvod coils.

Thanks  Im gonna have to give SS  a try

@FXRich, you mentioned that SS is the only coil that can be used in both modes?  But my husband had an IPV 2 that didn't recognize stainless that he was letting me use with an old tank of his - I can't remember what kind, only that it leaked a lot because of his repeated drops bent some of the hardware.  Anyway, I was vaping on wattage with whatever was in there just fine.

4 minutes ago, spydre said:

That would be an advantage for me as well, since I don't know which mode I'm going to be using - and it may be different from one juice to another.  I know out of the ones I was looking at, things were quickly getting shot down because they didn't take SS, or they required two high drain batteries, which is something I didn't want to get into.  I'm a little gun shy about nickle coils just because, and I don't know how truthful it is, a video I saw part of saying with nickle wire one is more prone to be inhaling the nickle than with the other wires, because of nickle's low melt point - but the melting point is still like 5 times or more what most people run at (over 2000 degrees F).  So I don't know the veracity of that video.

Tina

The trouble with SS is not many factory coils use it, but starting to become more common. I have heard that Triton coils use SS, but can't verify that. The biggest problem I see with Ni coils is they distort easy

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

The trouble with SS is not many factory coils use it, but starting to become more common. I have heard that Triton coils use SS, but can't verify that. The biggest problem I see with Ni coils is they distort easy

They get bent, do you mean?